*****Virgin Australia Supercars Championship 2018*****

Soldato
OP
Just got done and still can't get over how quick that 888 was today! Mental drive by that pair!

Pit lane was just chaos after the safety car too. If you look back at the replays Dumbrell stalling caused both Red Bulls to get unsafe releases. If Van Gisburgen had got in the box on time he wouldn't have been late out either! Still and impressive recovery.

Round 2 is actually not long from starting but I should probably get some sleep!

Soldato
Just got done and still can't get over how quick that 888 was today! Mental drive by that pair!

Pit lane was just chaos after the safety car too. If you look back at the replays Dumbrell stalling caused both Red Bulls to get unsafe releases. If Van Gisburgen had got in the box on time he wouldn't have been late out either! Still and impressive recovery.

Round 2 is actually not long from starting but I should probably get some sleep!

Yep, all came from that one mistake!

Just watched race 2. Won't spoil anything quoting you.

shame about that downpour, only lasting so short and nothing counting, looked like it could have been good if they even had a 20 lap shootout!

Soldato
Awesome first race. SVG isn't messing about now and it's time for McLaughlin to start getting his elbows out. He's being too much of a nice guy.

After that nudge that SVG gave him he should have run him right out onto the white lines and left him no room at all. I think his attitude may change after SVG blocked him in at the end of the race.

Surprise surprise SVG didn't get a penalty for spinning his wheels in the pit stop...

Love the Aussie pundits.
https://www.supercars.com/videos/20...-and-mclaughlin-parc-ferme-brush/?cat=default

Soldato
Thought svg got very lucky with the calls yesterday.

Mclaughlin still had periods today of not being agreesive enough until that second stop where elbows out fair play! Made that stick. Whincup coming out behind him first off and then coming out and staying out in front. Had my heart racing.

Great last few laps. Hopefully Newcastle will be as good as last year.

Posting this just watching Mclaughlins donuts. Usually turn it off before just waiting to see if he blocks in svg :eek::D
He just got a nice reception from the crowd instead haha. Even his countrymen don't support him.

Soldato
Thought svg got very lucky with the calls yesterday.

Mclaughlin still had periods today of not being agreesive enough until that second stop where elbows out fair play! Made that stick. Whincup coming out behind him first off and then coming out and staying out in front. Had my heart racing.

Great last few laps. Hopefully Newcastle will be as good as last year.

Posting this just watching Mclaughlins donuts. Usually turn it off before just waiting to see if he blocks in svg :eek::D
He just got a nice reception from the crowd instead haha. Even his countrymen don't support him.
I think they were booing Whincup.

Cracking 2nd race. Certainly got his elbows out. Getting ahead of Whincup after Whincup’s pit stop won it for him.

What were DJR doing with Fabian’s stop? How did they not get him out in front of SVG? That allowed T8 to use their other drivers to get SVG to P2.

Newcastle is setting up to be a cracker

Soldato
What were DJR doing with Fabian’s stop? How did they not get him out in front of SVG? That allowed T8 to use their other drivers to get SVG to P2.

Newcastle is setting up to be a cracker

No idea I was screaming at the TV. After the previous round where they nailed the short stop and sacrificed fabian I don't know what the hell they were doing. They had 2 bites of the cherry too. Gonna be good hope mclaughlin can do it. Deserved it last year and has had a good year again this year. Very consistent even though the falcon seemingly isn't as strong as the new commodore.

Soldato
OP
Finally got around to watching both races and they were awesome to watch. Simply can't understand DJR's ineptitude in pit stop strategy - with that end bay they should control the release of any other car they want to!

I thought the booing was a bit of a poor show though since Whincup is out of the championship race so it simply makes sense to switch the positions.

Newcastle gonna be gud! :D

Soldato
OP
1 hour to go until qualifying for the final 2 races! McLaughlin 14 points ahead of SVG! Ford vs Holden for the title! :D

Track map coming when I can pull it from the broadcast! :)

BOOYAH!

W027pcF.jpg

Newcastle in all it's chaotic glory! Qualifying live now! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Pretty awesome race. Wasn’t expecting Fabian to pull a Pique Jr ;)

It was great seeing him finally getting his elbows out against Whincup, just needed Scotty to defend a bit harder at the end there. Scott is too nice when it comes to door to door racing and often comes off worst, especially against someone like SVG.

Just waiting to hear if SVG will get a penalty for a pit stop infringment. Probably won’t as they’ll find some obscure clarification to get him off like in the last race

Soldato
OP
Did we watch the same race? Scott was clearly out of fuel so couldn't fight SVG off at the end there! Thrilling stuff anyway! :D

What pit stop infringement are you on about? Wasn't covered on the broadcast - only now read the extras online. Mental stuff! Not long to find out how it falls! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Did we watch the same race? Scott was clearly out of fuel so couldn't fight SVG off at the end there! Thrilling stuff anyway! :D

What pit stop infringement are you on about? Wasn't covered on the broadcast - only now read the extras online. Mental stuff! Not long to find out how it falls! :D
I know he couldn’t really fight back but he could have defended a bit harder. He left the inside wide open. He should have hugged the inside so that SVG couldn’t get down there. Not sure if it would have made a difference to the final result but it would have made it more difficult for SVG

I’m fully expecting T8 to get away with no penalty or they’ll get some BS penalty that doesn’t change the result.

Soldato
OP
I think a team penalty to T8 is the fairest result tbh. Was not a driver error and I'd hate for a championship this close to be decided in a pit lane penalty/grid penalty.

I'd be quite happy if they just told the other 24 cars to go home while they 1 v 1 it! :D

Soldato
Yeah I wasn’t expecting that. If it’s the rules then it’s the rules. It’s strange seeing T8 get penalised ;)

I wonder why they didn’t do anything during the race, his pit stop was before half distance

Soldato
Just all caught up! The pen came as a surprise when watching qualifying! Bit of anti climax in the end but Scott mclaughlin did what was needed pretty much perfect race in the end. Probably would have won that earlier in the year but no point fighting.

Thoroughly deserved championship and strong resolve after losing it last year, can see him winning many more but fab needs to step up to give the backup when needed like whincup did yesterday

Think if t8 didn't get a pen for that it would have annoyed a number of teams on the grid after the spinning wheels thing last time around.

A real shame we won't see Lowndes week in week out next year, but what a Co driver he'll be in the enduros!

Back
Top Bottom