Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Edit : some dodgy practices by Virgin when I gave notice. Telling me that no other provider could match their service and then telling me it was dangerous to allow other ISP engineers into my home!

Did you record the call? Hand it in to ofcom, if this is true - shocking. All businesses that have call agents doing this need reporting so ofcom can check.

Last edited:
Finally gave notice with Virgin after 12 years. moving to community fibre 920Mbit synchronous for £27 a month. The best Virgin could do when I canceled was £48, Though they have just rung and offered to match the £27. Still leaving though, 920Mbit upload will be fun.

Edit : some dodgy practices by Virgin when I gave notice. Telling me that no other provider could match their service and then telling me it was dangerous to allow other ISP engineers into my home!

Do you know where the call centre was located? i.e. U,K, Philippines, India etc.

Do you know where the call centre was located? i.e. U,K, Philippines, India etc.
I think you have made the right move. I changed from virgin to FTTP Giganet 900meg for our main connection. I'm glad I did it definitely feels like an upgrade. Latency/jitter for gaming is far superior and costs less. We won't be renewing the Virgin contract when it's finished.

I got given the same "advice" when I gave notice in the summer.

Was told I would be without internet as no companies are currently offering new installs & I could never come back to Virgin if I left.
The offer given on the day was never going to be valid after today etc....

still cancelled & 2 weeks later got a retentions call offering to reduce the deal to £27pm rather than the one time, never to be repeated offer originally given of £40.

I would leave but unfortunately, in my area the next best I can get is around 60mb rather than the 350mb I get from VM

I would leave but unfortunately, in my area the next best I can get is around 60mb rather than the 350mb I get from VM

I've just joined VM, new fibre in the area. Was with Zen before on 80/20 now on M250/25 package for 17.99 a month. Then a 12 pound o2 sim on top. Can't get anything higher on any other ISP. VM is the only one on area with FTTP now.

I'm going to get some photos of inside the kit when I'm back should be in the next week or two.

Last edited:
Plusnet Fibre has been giving us 40mbps and dropping connection briefly every night, so I've served them the notice required in the min speed guarantee. Engineer coming out this week to see if they can achieve min speed.

Should that fail, I will be out of the contract early without penalty.

Virgin that are the only alternative to Openreach-based providers in my area. I'm tempted by the Gig1 they have on, and regret being dissuaded in the past.

The only worry is that I spend hours faffing about with customer services that would make the few £/mth saved pointless. I had a bad experience 10 years ago that put me off.

I had a couple of questions:
  • Does anyone have any experience with VM and bundling?
  • Is there any point in a new customer trying to haggle?
  • Partner is already on O2 - is there any benefit to this?

Any thoughts/advice much appreciated.

• Does anyone have any experience with VM and bundling?
  • Is there any point in a new customer trying to haggle?
  • Partner is already on O2 - is there any benefit to this?
  • Does anyone have any experience with VM and bundling? - how do you mean bundling, as in having more than one service from them?
  • Is there any point in a new customer trying to haggle? - I'm not sure but I think the best way is to go via online via Quidco/Topcashback type referral so you'll get quite a bit £ via from that.
  • Partner is already on O2 - is there any benefit to this? - Yes you'll get double the data on the O2 SIM and nudged up to the next broadband speed with VM if its the same address for both services - https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-o2. I can't remember if the M500 package was included in the Volt boost (i.e. to take it to 1GB) so might want to double check that with them but it certainly works on the lower speeds like M125, M250 etc.

Last edited:
Thanks

With bundling, I was just meaning whether it was a smooth experience. I don't want to save a few pounds a month, only to be on the phone with them and the other companies involved in the bundle constantly, asking for different services to be sorted.

Partner is already on O2 - is there any benefit to this? - Yes you'll get double the data on the O2 SIM and nudged up to the next broadband speed with VM if its the same address for both services - https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-o2. I can't remember if the M500 package was included in the Volt boost (i.e. to take it to 1GB) so might want to double check that with them but it certainly works on the lower speeds like M125, M250 etc.
I just done this with my M500 connection and increased it to 1Gb.

Although, my speed to the router isn't going any higher than 930Mb, its still a good increase but all my previous connections 500Mb (550Mbs), 350Mb (380Mbs) were always slightly over what they have been sold as but this time its just not hitting the mark.

I just done this with my M500 connection and increased it to 1Gb.

Although, my speed to the router isn't going any higher than 930Mb, its still a good increase but all my previous connections 500Mb (550Mbs), 350Mb (380Mbs) were always slightly over what they have been sold as but this time its just not hitting the mark.
You're using gigabit Ethernet, I assume? Gigabit minus packet overheads gives a theoretical maximum closer to 940. Then you have to consider the preamble, inter-frame gaps, MTU, packet size... Basically, you'll never see full gigabit on a 'gigabit' network card. In the same way, you can expect to see a maximum of around 94Mbps on a 100Mbps card. To get the 'full gig' (VM are actually sending you quite a bit over 1Gbps to the modem) you'd need to connect 2.5 Gbps or 10 Gbps cards to the Hub 5.

You're using gigabit Ethernet, I assume? Gigabit minus packet overheads gives a theoretical maximum closer to 940. Then you have to consider the preamble, inter-frame gaps, MTU, packet size... Basically, you'll never see full gigabit on a 'gigabit' network card. In the same way, you can expect to see a maximum of around 94Mbps on a 100Mbps card. To get the 'full gig' (VM are actually sending you quite a bit over 1Gbps to the modem) you'd need to connect 2.5 Gbps or 10 Gbps cards to the Hub 5.
Hey there, cheers for the reply. I'm using Cat6 from the Virgin Hub5 (modem mode) to an Asus ax86u router. The speed tests are done using Speedtest.net directly to the router which is what gives me around 930Mbs.

I read on the VM forums that people are being told to use Sam Knows RealSpeed but it just states "RealSpeed is not available on this network" for me

Hey there, cheers for the reply. I'm using Cat6 from the Virgin Hub5 (modem mode) to an Asus ax86u router. The speed tests are done using Speedtest.net directly to the router which is what gives me around 930Mbs.

I read on the VM forums that people are being told to use Sam Knows RealSpeed but it just states "RealSpeed is not available on this network" for me
You're running speedtest.net *on* the router? As in through the router's webUI, not from a local machine? That router has a single 2.5Gbps port, so I assume that's the one connected between the router and Hub 5? Your post wasn't clear. You'll still be limited to gigabit (i.e. 940Mbps) on any local client due to the rest of the ports being gigabit.

Back
Top Bottom