Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Mine doesn't but the land line now plugs directly into the superhub, the BT style phone sockets are no longer used in my case.

We have 1 x Virgin coax line going into the house which splits into an adapter with 3 lines going to the boxes and one line to the modem.

Last edited:
Virgin Media uses coaxial cables, to receive the service you need their cable terminated on their wall box installed into your home. Their telephone service used to be provided by a separate copper pair that they would present to you on a UK phone socket (nothing to do with BT), but now you connect your phone (if you have the service) to the router.

Virgin Media don't provide connections over anything but their own cables. Your friend who thinks they get the service out of their BT socket is mistaken.

Last edited:
VM uses their own VM wall hub thing for the internet. The whole thing about VM is they run their own network outside of Openreach/other 3rd parties.

Not sure about landline as I have never used one, but I believe in my old flat we had wiring separate to the Openreach sockets for a VM landline.

If you don't have a VM wall thing then they will need to install one by taking a fibre from one of their cabinets through your wall. The hub on the wall just contains an isolator that prevents your from passing a dangerous signal back up the line.

This is their brand new internals. Where I live their new install isn’t coax it’s fibre. I saw them running the cables. They must have converters somewhere.

What’s strange is that they used a converter internally as you can see in the post below of my new install recently.

When I’m back home I could take some photos of the internals and also the internal/external box outside on the house wall.

Maybe in the future they may bring a full fibre router out rather than use the coax.

Last edited:
@Rainmaker Why does Cake only use a single core,

That's a question best answered by @Dave Taht if he'd be so kind. I know SQM works, I know it's awesome, and I know enough about bufferbloat to be dangerous... But the inner workings of cake are not something I'm confident on expounding (yet).

@Rainmaker Thanks.
I'm not 100% sure it doesn't use more more than 1 core, it just appears not to or very little other core usage. Either way I'm finding with the default config on RouterOS 7.6 at least, PCQ seems to work better for me. I used to use SQM on OpenWRT with great results but with the equipment I was using, as speeds increased I ran out of cpu.

This is their brand new internals. Where I live their new install isn’t coax it’s fibre. I saw them running the cables. They must have converters somewhere.

What’s strange is that they used a converter internally as you can see in the post below of my new install recently.

When I’m back home I could take some photos of the internals and also the internal/external box outside on the house wall.

Maybe in the future they may bring a full fibre router out rather than use the coax.
I'm not convinced that is fibre the way the isolater comes in to the right hand side then backout again. I see various types of amp and backup systems being used. Pictures will tell us more!

How low is your ping ?

Last edited:
Ran quick test, no wifi and modem mode on my hub5 but maxing out the speeds its hitting 12-13 watts, roughly 10 watts on average when not doing anything. Similar if not a bit less then the hub3 really.

This is with an electrical power reader on the wall socket.
I can confirm this as when I tested it last week the SH5 was using ~10.5W in modem mode compared to the ~11.8W of the SH4 in MM (lowest light setting, ~12.8W default light setting).

I’m on 1gig and lately been testing my speeds. I’m getting around 300 connected to my pc via Ethernet. I’ve tried different cables, different ports on router, checking in device manager to confirm I’m running at correct speed etc and nothing. In safe mode with networking I’m getting around 1gig so Im thinking software maybe. My wireless speeds are much better. Anyone else had anything similar? Im on hub 5, windows 11 fresh install, cat 7 cable.

Edit. I’ve narrowed it down to HWinfo64. It seems to be interfering with the speed test. Very strange.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m on 1gig and lately been testing my speeds. I’m getting around 300 connected to my pc via Ethernet. I’ve tried different cables, different ports on router, checking in device manager to confirm I’m running at correct speed etc and nothing. In safe mode with networking I’m getting around 1gig so Im thinking software maybe. My wireless speeds are much better. Anyone else had anything similar? Im on hub 5, windows 11 fresh install, cat 7 cable.

Edit. I’ve narrowed it down to HWinfo64. It seems to be interfering with the speed test. Very strange.
VM have service issues across a number of areas.

I'm in an SW20 postcode and have pretty much lost service from the 23rd although I understand that they have had problems since the 21st November.

My box is currently providing poor wifi serice but oddly the ports on the back of the box have stopped working. Sadly for me very little in my house is wifi. most of our kit is hard wired in via another router that plugs in to the back of the box.

No fix until the 3rd of Jan. After I'm back to work and the kids are back to school!

First time in just over 3 years of service I’m experiencing total blackout of VM services!
Service Area 22, NR11
Around 14:40 on the 28th it dropped out.
Nothing from the Hub 5 or TV boxes. Go to report a problem on the app and it says service as normal.
Go further and agree to a £25 engineer charge if I’m wrong and now it says they’re investigating an issue in my area!
So cheeky!

Typical the direct debit went out today no problem and we’re all at home wanting to use the services!

Last edited:
First time in just over 3 years of service I’m experiencing total blackout of VM services!
Service Area 22, NR11
Around 14:40 on the 28th it dropped out.
Nothing from the Hub 5 or TV boxes. Go to report a problem on the app and it says service as normal.
Go further and agree to a £25 engineer charge if I’m wrong and now it says they’re investigating an issue in my area!
So cheeky!

Typical the direct debit went out today no problem and we’re all at home wanting to use the services!
might be a national issue. ours went down roughly the same time in the LE5 area

est fix is 17:55. the one day I finish work early and not back till next Tuesday was hoping for some gaming time this evening. T'is but a pipe dream now.

might be a national issue. ours went down roughly the same time in the LE5 area

est fix is 17:55. the one day I finish work early and not back till next Tuesday was hoping for some gaming time this evening. T'is but a pipe dream now.

Everything just came back online here.

Finally gave notice with Virgin after 12 years. moving to community fibre 920Mbit synchronous for £27 a month. The best Virgin could do when I canceled was £48, Though they have just rung and offered to match the £27. Still leaving though, 920Mbit upload will be fun.

Edit : some dodgy practices by Virgin when I gave notice. Telling me that no other provider could match their service and then telling me it was dangerous to allow other ISP engineers into my home!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom