Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Ok i'm back with an update,
Few pages back i cancelled virgin (still 15days to go).
I have had bt infinity2 installed for 2 days, i'm locked up at 79.99 downlink 20.00 uplink,
There has been no throttling at all during anytime or even peak times.
It's early days but i think i'll be glad to have switched.

Soldato
I currently have a SH2 and its been fine as all my devices are wired bar mobile phones. Wireless connection has been fine to mobiles just browsing the net and youtube etc but recently I've been doing a lot of streaming with an android box and the wireless isn't as stable as I'd like. I've been looking to get a router like the TP Link Archer C7 or C9 and put the SH2 in modem mode to improve my wifi. Though I probably could connect the android box via ethernet cable and not worry about wifi and save a bit of cash.

Would a better router like the C7 or C9 provide a better wired connection as well? or would I only see a benefit to the wifi?

Man of Honour
Yesterday, we noticed our phone line was constantly engaged.. I rang VM who did a few checks over the phone but couldn't find anything so they sent an engineer first thing this morning.. Slight short on the wiring outside.. Turned round inside 24 hours.. Not bad.

Soldato
Update: no sign of anything being done today so contacted them again via their forums basically telling them to sort it before I terminate the contract (only renewed on 29th dec) and an hour later it's finally working. In total I was without internet around 26 hours. Really I feel something they could have rectified yesterday tbh. What sort of company claims they can't directly contact their IT dept via phone only via raising a ticket on their system. I'm 99% convinced the engineer could have had this sorted over the phone. Anyway all seem's well so far and my ping actually appears better than it was on my SH2.

15935905_1851449545075966_1689711296_n.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I've had 3 engineers out to fix my cables but all have them told me ive been booked in for service not a rewire, I can't do it, it's not my job, 3 third person patched (still not fixed) the work after he phoned the office, he said ill they will add more work in my job pool so ill fix it.

Do virgin engineers work per the job or do they get a proper wage?

Man of Honour
I have written a formal letter of complaint to VM HQ in Swansea, waiting to see what they say about this latency spike issue.

I'm not expecting a favourable reply (if any) really, but I'll give them a chance.

Associate
Via Ethernet using a PoE injector that's included in the box.

SH <----> PoE Injector <----> Access Point.

The injector means that you only have a run a single Ethernet cable to the access point as it also carries the power.

Hi mate received AC-LP today and thinking of running it straight from SH in modem mode.

Is this option solid?? or should I go and grab a EdgeRouter X?

edit* I was thinking of grabbing edgerouter x for stability but I am also wondering do the Virgin Media SH ethernet ports still work whilst in modem mode as well as edgerouter either ports at same time?

thanks

Last edited:
Permabanned
I have written a formal letter of complaint to VM HQ in Swansea, waiting to see what they say about this latency spike issue.

I'm not expecting a favourable reply (if any) really, but I'll give them a chance.
It will be interesting to see what response you get. I'm planning to complain about the same issue as well.

Associate
I have tonight ordered BT Broadband and Sky Q and will be calling VM tomorrow to cancel my TV and 200mbps broadband package. I thought I'd do a final speed test before calling tomorrow...

OoSMThW.jpg

Associate
Looks like VM 'fixed' the speed issues last night, now getting the full 100mbs again. Will see how long this lasts though before I can relax.

Soldato
Hey guys , I've just had a super hub 3 sent as my hub 2 had been playing up.

I've just set it up but when you connect it goes to a page saying : "Your unit is updating, please wait a moment." It has been on this screen for 45 minutes? Is this normal?

On the hub the light at the bottom is white and there are 2 green arrows flashing.

Soldato
Hey guys , I've just had a super hub 3 sent as my hub 2 had been playing up.

I've just set it up but when you connect it goes to a page saying : "Your unit is updating, please wait a moment." It has been on this screen for 45 minutes? Is this normal?

On the hub the light at the bottom is white and there are 2 green arrows flashing.

The reason for this problem was virgin forgot to add the hub onto our account.

I phoned up the Technical team who sent us to customer support who sent us back to technical who sent us to customer service who sent us to installation and then finally we was sent to escalation. 1 and half hours this took.

Now im back on my hub 2 and the new hub 3 might be on the system today or monday. I will then have to go through the activation again.

Last edited:
Soldato
after reading back over some pages here I am starting to regret ordering virgin Fiber :confused:

unfortunately for me, TALK TALK was horrid and constant slowdowns during the afternoons and evening was driving me crazy. Virgin Media is the only company that offers Fiberoptic based internet services in area and I gave up waiting for talk talk or BT to install cabling for such services. Wish me luck everyone:D

Soldato
Today is first time I've had a issue since I went back to VM, the SH3 has stopped net connection twice today:

No Maintenance Broadcasts for Ranging opportunities received

Looks like it's trying to update itself and can't find one and takes 5 minutes to resync and connect again.

Wouldn't mind but twice it's happened whilst at the end of a UG mission on The Division.

Caporegime
after reading back over some pages here I am starting to regret ordering virgin Fiber :confused:

unfortunately for me, TALK TALK was horrid and constant slowdowns during the afternoons and evening was driving me crazy. Virgin Media is the only company that offers Fiberoptic based internet services in area and I gave up waiting for talk talk or BT to install cabling for such services. Wish me luck everyone:D

Solid speeds and reliability here, 150Mbps service. I've been a customer for ~15 years and have had very few real problems. I understand that some of this is the post code lottery, but still, very happy in general.

Man of Honour
Solid speeds and reliability here, 150Mbps service. I've been a customer for ~15 years and have had very few real problems. I understand that some of this is the post code lottery, but still, very happy in general.

Same here. A thread on any ISP is going to be 99% of people saying they are having issues rather than just 'yep still working great' :p

Soldato
Well I got very lucky in my area, had the service installed just 10 days before a major upgrade to the local capacity.

For those first 10 days I'd pretty much get full speed until 4pm then it would crash down to less than 10mbit during peak time.

I only put up with it because I knew the server capacity upgrade was coming & the fact that I barely use the internet during peak time anyway.

..after the update it's been a full 210Mbit 24/7 since February.

If that upgrade hadn't of come as promised by customer services, I'd of bailed out of the contract early and gone back to BT Fibre, which gave me a much slower, but rock solid stable 60Mbit 24/7.

Last edited:
Soldato

Same here. A thread on any ISP is going to be 99% of people saying they are having issues rather than just 'yep still working great' :p

Me too, been a Virgin subscriber for 10+ years and have only had a few days of no connection and that was because some gas flunky stuck his JCB scoop through the cable lines out side my house!!

Soldato

Ive been getting intermittent high pings and packet loss too since a couple of days! Ffs i hope its not another bout of oversubscription took 9 months to sort it last time :(

I say "sort it" but im pretty sure what happened during these 9 months was a couple dozen people's contracts ran out letting them finally cancel and thus easing the load on their metwork.

Soldato
Today is first time I've had a issue since I went back to VM, the SH3 has stopped net connection twice today:

No Maintenance Broadcasts for Ranging opportunities received

Looks like it's trying to update itself and can't find one and takes 5 minutes to resync and connect again.

Wouldn't mind but twice it's happened whilst at the end of a UG mission on The Division.

Update to this, was fine all day yesterday. Spoke to VM in the morning and he said the cabinet stopped sending info to them and had to send a engineer out who fixed the issue a few hours after my first cut off.

He said something about another customer who connects to that cabinet was causing interfence on their line i.e plugged it in wrong or done something to the line which was causing the fault.

Back
Top Bottom