Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
So I just signed up to Vivid 200 and I am now reading all this SH3 stuff.

Should I cancel and stick with sky fibre?
Do you do a lot of online gaming which latency spikes would or could affect you? If so then yes stick to sky for now if you can. Ive seen a lot of Thinkbroadband monitors and they look horrible in terms of latency. However people are still getting full speeds even above 200mbps. So speed is great for most not all. But latency is majorly impacted by the SH3. VM are in house testing a firmware to fix the issue. But no word on how long it will take to roll out. Few weeks, couple months no one knows atm. So bite the bullet and take that risk or if you need low latency because you are a big online gamer stick to sky. If you play a lot of single player games then no problemo.

Permabanned
So I just signed up to Vivid 200 and I am now reading all this SH3 stuff.

Should I cancel and stick with sky fibre?
It's as R7 says, though if by some miracle you can get a SH2ac instead of the SH3 then it should be OK. I would tell them that you're cancelling unless you can use the SH2ac instead of the SH3 and see what they say; all that money they are potentially loosing could be a motivating factor just in case there are any still available.

I managed to get a SH2ac but still have my SH3 in the box for when the issue is finally fixed. My overall internet is pretty good now whereas with the SH3 it was awful. Though I'm not really an online gamer I use a lot of Skype and Whatsapp for voice and video calls and for this the SH3 was shockingly terrible.

SH2ac

SH3

Man of Honour
Just checked my e-mails to notice one from VM to kindly advise me that my bill is going up £3.99 from the 1st November :rolleyes:
Seen this mentioned in an article the other day, it's getting daft now I think in the 4 years we've had VM it's gone up at least £15 just from their "small" increases.

Need to pull my finger out and call them to either work out a sensible deal or tell them to get stuffed. It'll be nearly £70pm for basic phone, internet and tv once this new increase hits.

Associate
Seen this mentioned in an article the other day, it's getting daft now I think in the 4 years we've had VM it's gone up at least £15 just from their "small" increases.

Need to pull my finger out and call them to either work out a sensible deal or tell them to get stuffed. It'll be nearly £70pm for basic phone, internet and tv once this new increase hits.

Agreed, they keep adding the small increases.

I also need to give them a call to see what I can get deal wise. Just that when I tried last time I got no where and the woman I spoke to didn't have a clue which didn't fill me with an confidence so I gave up.

I'm still on an old 150mb deal, so I'll either need to drop to 100 or increase to 200. I'm pretty sure if I go up to 200 I'll end up paying either the same or more than I currently do. Guess it'll be a drop to 100 or suck it up and stay as I am :rolleyes:

Associate
Price increase again sick of it I used to be a very low bandwidth user around 200gb monthly quess what price rise.
Now I just download 20tb each month usenet newshosting 24/7 maxed out my connection cost them more each month.

Soldato
Can someone explain to me how TV and home phone can be down but broadband can still work on Virgin media? The fault lasted 3 days but I just can't get my head around it.

I can't work out where the common point is...

Soldato
AFAIK it uses the copper, they just wire it into what ever phone socket is around.

Virgin's phone socket will be connected to their cabling. They have no reason (or right) to do anything to BT's master socket or incoming wiring.

The coax to the house has (unless things have changed) an attached phone pair that's separated out in the box they nail to the house exterior.

Soldato
Thanks all so just to be clear, the home phone does not use the BT copper phone line? Instead they use their own copper pair which is run in alongside the coax?

I'm almost certain this is wired into the BT main socket though?

Soldato
Thanks all so just to be clear, the home phone does not use the BT copper phone line? Instead they use their own copper pair which is run in alongside the coax?

I'm almost certain this is wired into the BT main socket though?

I can assure you that it's not. I have the old BT socket here still wired up to the pole, and next to it is the VM socket wired to the cable that runs alongside the coax.

Back
Top Bottom