Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Sorry for posting twice in a row but I'm looking for a new router. My requirements are this:

Support for GRE tunnels (for my VM business static IP address)
IPv6 support (for when VM finally supports it)
Custom DNS servers
Allow using VM Hitron router in modem only mode
Mobile phone 4G network SIM card for when VM business internet goes down
Extremely fast Wifi
Guest wifi network
Fully featured firewall
QoS
VLAN support would be nice
VPN client (IPSec, PPTP or OpenVPN)

Budget: £300

I can imagine people recommending a Mikrotik or Ubiquiti Router and a Ubiquiti Unifi AP.

I don't have any hands on with Mikrotik but i'm pretty confident they can do all your Routing based requirements and the Unifi can handles the guest portal and WiFi.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can imagine people recommending a Mikrotik or Ubiquiti Router and a Ubiquiti Unifi AP.

I don't have any hands on with Mikrotik but i'm pretty confident they can do all your Routing based requirements and the Unifi can handles the guest portal and WiFi.

Cool. Thanks for the tip. I had a look at the Mikrotik stuff and it seems pretty reasonably priced. I'll have a look at the Ubiquity stuff as well.

Associate
I'm currently with VM paying £43.24 for 200mbit. It's nice to have that speed, though most of my downloads are automated, so raw speed isn't that important.

I've been with VM for nearly 2 decades, though I'm thinking of dropping them as they are too expensive.

What's the best strategy to take when you speak to VM, just cancel and wait for a callback or what? Or is it totally random depending who you speak to?

Soldato
I'm currently with VM paying £43.24 for 200mbit. It's nice to have that speed, though most of my downloads are automated, so raw speed isn't that important.

I've been with VM for nearly 2 decades, though I'm thinking of dropping them as they are too expensive.

What's the best strategy to take when you speak to VM, just cancel and wait for a callback or what? Or is it totally random depending who you speak to?

The people you speak to when you say you want to cancel, can't offer you the best deals. Tell them you want to give your 30 days notice to leave and someone will phone you with a better deal. Doing that, I was able to get Vivid 350 for £32.

Associate
Im fed up with the SH3 it just seems to be a right pain in the arse. I have nothing but issues connecting to it and my phone and pcs keep needing their wifi turned off and on to get on to it at any type of speed. i thought id get a new router and stick the SH3 into modem mode!

Now i have done this earlier with a tp link ac2800 but was to no avail so I thought id try a net gear r7000p

Any suggestions on how this is to be done?

I think i must have done something wrong with the TP link but i followed set up and couldnt get anywhere 2 ******* hours!!!!

**The swear filter is there for a reason**

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
New Which? research has revealed that Virgin Media is the worst culprit among broadband providers for leaving customers without a connection for long periods.

This research comes as Ofcom prepares to introduce new rules on automatic compensation when things go wrong.

One in six Virgin customers said they had been left with no connection for hours or days at a time.
Virgin Media worst for broadband outages as automatic compensation introduced - Which? News

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
It's a voluntary scheme though. I doubt the ISPs with the worst records will be signing up for that.

VM have signed up to it, despite having the worst record for outages.

Virgin Media, BT, Sky, TalkTalk and Zen Internet – who together serve around 90% of broadband and landline customers in the UK – have all signed up to the new compensation scheme.

Man of Honour
It is advertised as 12 working hours from initial report to resolve problems on their website.
Always read the small print, it's not a guarantee.

Virgmin Media Business SLA said:
SPECIFIC TERMS BY SERVICE For Voom Fibre Services, We’ll aim to restore the Service in line with your Option, or any Bolt-on you have selected (as defined in the Voom Fibre Special Terms and/or Price Guide). Where we need a site visit to resolve a Fault, we only do site visits on Working Days during Working Hours (please see definitions at the end of the document). If you have the Voom Fibre service, restoration credits are not payable for the 24 or 48 hour fault response times. If you have the 12 hour fault response time, and we fail to resolve your fault within 12 hours, you have 30 days from the date the fault is resolved to request a service credit amount equal to the number of days without service / 365, multiplied by the amount actually paid by You under Your current Option in the previous 12 months. If Your current Option has been running for less than 12 months on the date that you report the fault, then we will use your current average monthly payment for Your Option x 12

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Anyone having any issues in London? I'm in E11 and for the past few days, again, my SH3 reboots, about five times a day. Usually around 10am, 2pm and a few times either side.

It's the same whether in modem mode or normal mode (currently running in modem mode with a unifi USG).

Soldato
500Mbps is supposed to roll out this month and the next. I wonder if they'll introduce another speed or do what they did last time and just increase the top package and make the new one default. Also, they're rolling out 1Gbit in two cities this year, it's never my city. :(

Associate
500Mbps is supposed to roll out this month and the next. I wonder if they'll introduce another speed or do what they did last time and just increase the top package and make the new one default. Also, they're rolling out 1Gbit in two cities this year, it's never my city. :(
They should concentrate on delivering the speeds they advertise rather than increasing it.
I've had vivid 350 for a few days and as the download was as promised the upload was all over the place.
It could drop as low as 3mbps at times making services like game streaming completely unusable...
Not that game streaming would work anyway with the latencies they have .
Their service is good for downloads but that's about it...

Back
Top Bottom