Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
@Type_R it might be worth putting a pin in the rear of your router to get it to reset. Has worked for me in the past when I haven't been getting the speed the router has synced at. You will have to set the router backup though.

Caporegime
The provisioned profile is for 500. Your area might just be congested, assuming there's not a ton of errors on the modem status page.

Soldato
Supposedly moved from 350 to 500 yesterday. The modem config suggests that 500 has been provisioned. Called VM...got fobbed off with 'the engineer hasn't completed the job order so you won't get 500 currently' although obviously the modem is alledgedly trying to deliver 500.

All speed tests I do are wired to a single PC with all other traffic disconnected from the SH3.

Here is the latest:

Tested on my MBP this morning, wired (but different wire...maybe my Belkin cable is letting me down!)!

:)

Last edited:
Soldato
:)

Just tried the ethernet cable that was connected to the desktop on my MBP and it is still reading at 550 Mbps download. So something on the Win10 desktop is limiting my downloads to ~300 Mbps??

Have you tried a Linux live USB? How are you testing? From a speed test website in a browser (likely with addons)? Tried iperf3 or even the desktop speedtest.net app? Disabled any AV and extra software? Honestly Windows just sucks at networking compared to most. It always has.

Soldato
Have you tried a Linux live USB? How are you testing? From a speed test website in a browser (likely with addons)? Tried iperf3 or even the desktop speedtest.net app? Disabled any AV and extra software? Honestly Windows just sucks at networking compared to most. It always has.

Been using chrome (with minimal add-ons) and when you mentioned used Edge...same result. Tried all the usual tricks with Win10 to increase speed like enabling auto-negotiation etc.

Tried fast.con reports 330 Mbps.

Soldato
Been using chrome (with minimal add-ons) and when you mentioned used Edge...same result. Tried all the usual tricks with Win10 to increase speed like enabling auto-negotiation etc.

Tried fast.con reports 330 Mbps.

Boot a Linux live USB (Pop!_OS, Fedora, Debian, whatever) and test again. Install iperf3:

Debian/Ubuntu/Pop!_OS/related
Code:
sudo apt install -y iperf3

Fedora
Code:
sudo dnf install -y iperf3

Solus
Code:
sudo eopkg install -y iperf #note, no 3 on the end

OpenSUSE
Code:
sudo zypper in -y iperf3

Then run a speedtest:

Code:
iperf3 -c bouygues.iperf.fr -p 5010 -P 10 -4 -R -Z -V -O 2

Soldato
Boot a Linux live USB (Pop!_OS, Fedora, Debian, whatever) and test again. Install iperf3:

Debian/Ubuntu/Pop!_OS/related
Code:
sudo apt install -y iperf3

Fedora
Code:
sudo dnf install -y iperf3

Solus
Code:
sudo eopkg install -y iperf #note, no 3 on the end

OpenSUSE
Code:
sudo zypper in -y iperf3

Then run a speedtest:

Code:
iperf3 -c bouygues.iperf.fr -p 5010 -P 10 -4 -R -Z -V -O 2

Thanks for all this. I’m not sure how this is going to help me as I’m going to be using Win10 for everything...so even if Linux shows a speed of 550 Mbps...it doesn’t really help.

Soldato
Thanks for all this. I’m not sure how this is going to help me as I’m going to be using Win10 for everything...so even if Linux shows a speed of 550 Mbps...it doesn’t really help.

It does if Linux hits 500Mbps on the same hardware, which tells you it's a Windows issue. If it doesn't, it's a hardware problem... :p

Back
Top Bottom