Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Those of you who have left Virgin for another provider, who have you gone with?
The only reason I stay is I can't find anyone who offers anywhere near the speeds of Virgin, I'm on the 350mb BB for £43pm
With the imminent price rise it's going up to £46.50pm.

You would be extremely lucky to find someone who can compete on speed. the majority of services would be FTTC which is at best 80/20 but that should give you a better ISP who will be accountable, not continuously price hike and overall usually a better internet service (albeit slower).
Do you actually use all that speed most of the time? It's doubtful.

Soldato
Those of you who have left Virgin for another provider, who have you gone with?

The only reason I stay is I can't find anyone who offers anywhere near the speeds of Virgin, I'm on the 350mb BB for £43pm
With the imminent price rise it's going up to £46.50pm.
I'm moving to BT. They've offered me 330/50 for £46 a month. This is for FTTP, and my area is equipped for 1Gb down and 220Mb up.

Soldato
You would be extremely lucky to find someone who can compete on speed. the majority of services would be FTTC which is at best 80/20 but that should give you a better ISP who will be accountable, not continuously price hike and overall usually a better internet service (albeit slower).
Do you actually use all that speed most of the time? It's doubtful.

Thanks for the reply, I'd be happy to lose some of the download speed, but I upgraded to 350 purely for the extra upload speed (35mb) When I was on 200mb upload speed was 12mb
Most the searches I've done show average DL speeds around 60mb but no mention of upload speeds.

Soldato
Thanks for the reply, I'd be happy to lose some of the download speed, but I upgraded to 350 purely for the extra upload speed (35mb) When I was on 200mb upload speed was 12mb
Most the searches I've done show average DL speeds around 60mb but no mention of upload speeds.

That's just because of the way OFCOM have said ISP's now have to advertise speed. They can't say "up to" any more. Most are 80Mb down and 20 up.

Associate
Just a reminder, I work for VM and can get you a great deal as I've done for a few on here using my staff rate, I get a small kickback and you will save a lot :) It is for new customers only, if your interested let me know.
Thanks
Dean
Thanks for the trust message Dean0. I will be getting in contact once my street becomes live on the Virgin Media website. It's been 3 weeks since they finished my street but it still isn't showing up as available yet.

Wish they'd hurry up, I'm paying full wack on the Sky subscription now.

Associate
With the price increase I would be paying £39.00 for the 200 broadband only package so a massive 1 quid cheaper than the current new customer price!!!!

20 minutes on the phone and they have offered me £35.00 for 200 or £38.00 for 350. So £5 and £7 discount on the current new customer price.

Soldato
I just called back to extend my cancellation waited an hour before someone picked up but then he just extended the cancellation date did not try to offer any discount or try to keep me.

Does anyone know who long a existing phone line stay active for ive been told I would be charged for a new one.

Soldato
I just called back to extend my cancellation waited an hour before someone picked up but then he just extended the cancellation date did not try to offer any discount or try to keep me.

Does anyone know who long a existing phone line stay active for ive been told I would be charged for a new one.

If your existing phone is through VM then you don’t have a phone connected to the BT network so yes you would have to pay a new provider for a line install or activation.

Soldato
Anyone on the 350/35 product actually get 35 up?

I’ve got a script that does speed tests every 6 hours and the best it’s ever recorded was 22!

Modem is set at 35, 4 upstream channels, 64QAM so bandwidth is there...

Soldato
Anyone on the 350/35 product actually get 35 up?

I’ve got a script that does speed tests every 6 hours and the best it’s ever recorded was 22!

Modem is set at 35, 4 upstream channels, 64QAM so bandwidth is there...

Yup, every time I do a speed test, no matter what device I use either aPC, Iphone, Ipdad or even my LG Tv gets 36 up. I never use a virgin server while testing on speedtest.net. Pick one from Maidenhead, I use Xilo and get full speed from there constantly.

Associate
At this level CS is the same across the board i.e. not consistent

1st tier customer service were useless, their "management" was useless, and the UK executive team customer service/complaints dept were of no help either. VM in my experience are consistently awful.

In hindsight I'm happier I had issues with them at the order stage than when being locked into a contract with them.

Associate
Hi, I've just switched from Sky Q to VM and I'm having a couple of issues with my setup. I've went from 100mb Virgin fibre and full Sky Q TV to the Ultimate Oomph package so full VM TV and 500mb fibre.

First off my main V6 box isn't seeing my 5ghz wifi signal, only the 2.4ghz one. The 2nd box finds it and is connected to it without any problems, but a result I'm having issues streaming rhe recordings from box to box. Is there anything in any set up menus I can check/change to see of the 5ghz is enabled on the box, it is it a simple matter of an issue with the box?

Secondly, when I had my install done the engineer didn't change my existing Superhub 2ac to the newer Superhub 3. Although my package says it upgraded from my old 100mb package to the 500mb package, I've not had any increase in speed. Is the Superhub 2ac compatible with the 500mb package?

Going to try and speak to someone today but just thought I'd ask incase it's something I can resolve myself

Soldato
Hi, I've just switched from Sky Q to VM and I'm having a couple of issues with my setup. I've went from 100mb Virgin fibre and full Sky Q TV to the Ultimate Oomph package so full VM TV and 500mb fibre.

First off my main V6 box isn't seeing my 5ghz wifi signal, only the 2.4ghz one. The 2nd box finds it and is connected to it without any problems, but a result I'm having issues streaming rhe recordings from box to box. Is there anything in any set up menus I can check/change to see of the 5ghz is enabled on the box, it is it a simple matter of an issue with the box?

IIRC, there aren't any settings for it, but there's probably something in the diagnostics menu to tell you how it's connected. You can find this under the V6's "Setting" option in the main menu. 5ghz does have a noticeably lower range, so maybe your V6 is seeing a better signal on the 2.4ghz. If you can't cable it in, then try moving the router/V6. Otherwise you may need to get an access point or better router to increase the signal near your V6 box.

Secondly, when I had my install done the engineer didn't change my existing Superhub 2ac to the newer Superhub 3. Although my package says it upgraded from my old 100mb package to the 500mb package, I've not had any increase in speed. Is the Superhub 2ac compatible with the 500mb package?

Going to try and speak to someone today but just thought I'd ask incase it's something I can resolve myself

You should definitely have a SH3. I doubt VM will send a 2AC a profile for the 500mb service. The 2AC may not even be able to bond enough channels.

Associate
IIRC, there aren't any settings for it, but there's probably something in the diagnostics menu to tell you how it's connected. You can find this under the V6's "Setting" option in the main menu. 5ghz does have a noticeably lower range, so maybe your V6 is seeing a better signal on the 2.4ghz. If you can't cable it in, then try moving the router/V6. Otherwise you may need to get an access point or better router to increase the signal near your V6 box.

You should definitely have a SH3. I doubt VM will send a 2AC a profile for the 500mb service. The 2AC may not even be able to bond enough channels.

My main box, which is having the issues, is only 2-3m from the router. It's not seeing my 5ghz network at all. I've tried disabling the 2.4 channel on the router in case it was to do with signal strength, but still won't find the 5ghz network. Everything else in my house connects to it OK, including the upstairs V6 box

Have spoken to VM this morning on their messenger service and I'm getting a SH3 sent out. Hopefully this resolves my speed issues

Back
Top Bottom