Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
I haggle with VM every year as the price increases don't result in my service being any better. This year I was genuinely about to leave, had a customer service agent on the phone who was unhelpful and kept repeating the same phrases about VM being better than everyone else blah blah blah. Called back a few minutes later, straight through to retentions and offered me my same package for £15 less per month.

Soldato
I was taking about the offers they give over the phone not offers advertised

Again, the sales offers you speak of are determined in advance on a monthly basis based on meeting net addition targets (new additions - churn). Each sales channel will have slightly different offers (field, online, inbound, retail, 3rd party etc.) but usually it's the same deal worked slightly differently. Retentions also don't make up offers on the spot, its criteria driven within quite specific guidelines/budgets - It used to be a lot more discretionary, now it's much more guided as when you financially incentivise people to keep customers and give them an unrestricted budget, that tends to result in them throwing money at people to stay, because it makes them money. Obviously that's not sustainable.

Associate
no one comes close to virgin's lowest 50mb speed where i live at the moment so i can't really leave. I don't exactly live in the sticks either but i'm hoping someone else offers an alternative soon. just hoping they ring me to make a better offer

Man of Honour
Hub 3 arrived today, plugged in, set modem mode (still using the AC-68U which is great really) and activated over the phone.

Edit*
Having had a bit of a play around, I've realised to get the best out of this speed I had to adjust a few settings on the router like tweaking Wireless settings for both bands, 20Mhz only for 2.4GHz and 80MHz for 5Ghz to get best throughput.

Also turned on NAT acceleration which uses CTF on the router's switch. This lwoered latency by half, I'm also using VM's DNS servers now as the Google DNS and Open DNS proved to be slower after testing what works best for this location using the Namebench utility.

Wired:
VM350_speedtest_wired.jpg

Wireless:
VM350_speedtest_wireless.jpg

DNS:
VM350_DNS.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm also using VM's DNS servers now as the Google DNS and Open DNS proved to be slower after testing what works best for this location using the Namebench utility.

Have you done any tests to check the latency on Encrypted DNS?

Seems to be a lot of chatter lately about people moving over to Encrypted DNS like Coudflare followed by lots of complaints about the long pauses every time you click or open a link. :)

Man of Honour
Me?

I have no need to use encrypted DNS and don't want the added latency either lol. No need to check for increased latency, there will be increased latency based on the nature of the method as you know anyway :p

Associate
Just a reminder, I work for VM and can get you a great deal as I've done for a few on here using my staff rate, I get a small kickback and you will save a lot :) It is for new customers only, if your interested let me know.
Thanks
Dean
Can this include those households who've cancelled and are willing to start a new contract in a different name?

Associate
Just called via 150 and went through the options to leave. I said straight away that I wanted to give 30 days notice to leave, the agent asked why and I replied that Vodafone are doing 68mpbs with £100 Amazon voucher and Amazon Echo Dot for £23 a month, the agent said he would put me through to the department that deals with that.

The next person did not even ask why I was leaving just set up the disconnect. They knew they could not even touch the price and didn't even try.

Associate
Just called via 150 and went through the options to leave. I said straight away that I wanted to give 30 days notice to leave, the agent asked why and I replied that Vodafone are doing 68mpbs with £100 Amazon voucher and Amazon Echo Dot for £23 a month, the agent said he would put me through to the department that deals with that.

The next person did not even ask why I was leaving just set up the disconnect. They knew they could not even touch the price and didn't even try.
Just been through the exact same as you today. I didn't even want them to match. Simply give an incentive to kill the price rise and keep my custom.

My cancellation is in.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Just rang them up, deal had ended and it was now £55 p/m (inc. price increase). Said I wanted to cancel and first guy offered £52 as that was all they could give me. Politely declined and said I wanted to still cancel, got passed on to another guy who offered what works out to be £36 for the same package (200).

Man of Honour
Bit of fun and games contacting VM to get a billing issue sorted in relation to the recent upgrade. Hold on tight, it's a bit of a ride :D

I upgrade from 200 to 350 as mentioned in my earlier post. Get offered a loyalty discount rate so new monthly bill is £44 a month from £42 which I was paying for on 200Mb. This means no £3.50 a month price increase so I am now paying less for more. for the next 12 months. Fine by me.

I phone back to change the "engineer attended install" to a quick self install package as I didn't realise the engineer booking is by default. I don't need someone to come out and plug a modem in. I also use modem only mode and trying to explain my set-up to even these engineers is tasking enough going by past experiences.

The lady on the phone changes the package to a quick self install one and confirms new delivery date.

I then get a new automated email saying thank you for the changes, but the email also states my new monthly bill will be £49 a month???

I phone 150 and after 27+ minutes on hold get through to "Marge" who is clearly not a Marge, but nevertheless...

Marge wants me to email them ([email protected]) the original automated email stating £44 a month so that they can verify and make changes through the accounts team .

The call took over 35 minutes.

I leave it at that thinking all is well.

I am wrong^ I call back chasing up as I have not had a new automated email confirming the return to the £44 price.

I get nowhere as the wait times are too long getting through to VM customer services who are NOT UK based.

I phone again and get through to 'Swapnil' who actually sounds like a Swapnil. He gets me to email them the same thing. I email the same thing.

Guess what?

I tweet to VM my disappointment, that I've tried 5 times to also get through to the activations line but can't reach anyone.

VM social media person replies to Tweet saying they cannot arrange a callback from said team, I'll just have to call back and try again.

I reply back saying if VM want happy customers then they really need to have UK based support that is efficient.

VM tweets back saying they will pass on my feedback to the tea,

Marge calls me back later that day which is a surprise. Marge confirms that either my bill will be adjusted once the new equipment is activated, or my bill will be credited each month to reflect £44 a month. Marge also promises to call me back the day after activation to confirm everything is in order.

Fast forward to day after activation. No call back from Marge. Marge is a breaker of promises. SAD.

I fire up the Twitter hamsters once more to re: the above.

VM tweet back saying they are so sorry, they recommend using webchat to get retentions to call me direct.

I reply back saying the link they posted is invalid. So close.... so close.

They reply with a new link which works, they are #confused as all they did was copy the same link as before (which isn't the same link lol):

Hi Robbie, I have just clicked https://virg.in/smwc it did open the page however it does say they are busy at the moment, I would try later or us the method you just found. ^PDe

Anyway, I finally get webchat launched up and chatting away to a 'Mark' who definitely doesn't text like a Mark. Mark arranges to call me direct then pass me through to retentions. He doesn't sound like a Mark either at this point.

Steve at Retentions who clearly sounds like a Steve picks up. I explain the issue, Steve says he needs to get his line manager to authorise it so needs me to email him direct with the original £44 email confirmation. I do this three times and they bounce back as user not found. #Confused

I fire up webchat again and Ericka picks up the other end of the series of tubes. I state the above but she's so confused and says "so sorry you got cut off from Steve I will put you through to Retentions now"

Ok!

This time round a very friendly lady picks up called Hazel. last name won't be mentioned for privacy. Anyway, Hazel has a bit of a cough and is due to go home shortly anyway but is eager to hear me out. I explain the situation with Steve's line manager not getting my emails due to bounceback and at this point I get a great idea. I ask to email hazel the £44 email and this time I'll use my Gmail account as the from address. It gets through. So Virgin media systems won't accept emails sent on behalf of your own personal domain email account but will from Gmail it seems.

This discovery is no longer important though because Hazel spots something and says "I think I can sort this for you right now!"

"IMPOSSIBLE!" I think....

She says there's a stop on one of the offers applied to my account which unless you disable, won't apply the correct offered price and instead apply the default price. She says it looks like it has been a human error all along. All the people previously didn't spot this and all it took was a keen eyes Hazel with a cough and imminent home time to tick a damn box to sort it within minutes?

I get a new automated email confirming the £44 price.

Virgin Media need more people like Hazel and a support desk located in the UK only.

I don't expect anything with support will change in the next 12 months. This has always been VM's major stumbling block. I have never ever had a smooth support experience getting in touch with VM support to get administration tasks that should be simple completed efficiently. They have always resulted in needing to speak to the CEO office or finding ways round the tedious support desk to get through to UK based retentions people who can make changes on the fly.

I am expecting to repeat this process in 12 months time when I phone back for the next offer.

BQM is decent, mind.

vm350_BQM.jpg

Soldato
Short version is by changing the order, you inadvertently caused the issue. The rep you spoke to won’t have been able to apply the correct offer/product codes to give you what had been previously agreed. If Hazel was based in the North East and sounded slightly older, she’s been with them forever ;)

Soldato
I am expecting to repeat this process in 12 months time when I phone back for the next offer.

Unless I've been lied to, VM and all the others will have to stop their practice of hooking customers on low tariffs and automatically dumping them on higher ones at the end of contract.

In January coming up.

Soldato
@mrk

One of the things I won't miss after leaving Virgin is stuff like this.

My parter laughs and says if she didn't see me experiencing things like that with Virgin, she'd think I was making it up. Because I've had many issues with them like this.

I've even had them accuse me fabricating emails that they sent me, because they wouldn't honor the price they originally quoted. I had to play so many games with them just to get them to stick to the price we agreed.

Back
Top Bottom