Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Hi, looking something bit more powerfull then curent SH2AC. Have multiple devices connected over wifi and pc over ethernet cable. When i play or watch something online, devices that connected over wifi struggles to play, keeps on buffering. Moving house soon aswell so will need more coverage to do, as SH2AC wont be able to reach everywhere. Ubiquiti for now out of quesrion as i wint have time to set all up, so looking one of these Linksys WRT32X-UK AC3200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi or Asus RT-AC86U Wi-Fi AC2900.

Permabanned
Hi, looking something bit more powerfull then curent SH2AC. Have multiple devices connected over wifi and pc over ethernet cable. When i play or watch something online, devices that connected over wifi struggles to play, keeps on buffering. Moving house soon aswell so will need more coverage to do, as SH2AC wont be able to reach everywhere. Ubiquiti for now out of quesrion as i wint have time to set all up, so looking one of these Linksys WRT32X-UK AC3200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi or Asus RT-AC86U Wi-Fi AC2900.

I actually have the Linksys and its decent enough, however its not that great reaching upstairs. Will depend how big your house is.

Man of Honour
Asus routers in my experience are excellent for that kind of usage. I have up to 15 devices connecting to my wifi both 5GHz and 2.4 along with around 8 wired devices around the house. WiFi reaches the far reaches no probs and there are no issues with drops etc when one device is downloading or streaming etc. Remember to have CTF enabled to maximise the connection throughput.

Soldato
Hub 3 arrived today, plugged in, set modem mode (still using the AC-68U which is great really) and activated over the phone.

Edit*
Having had a bit of a play around, I've realised to get the best out of this speed I had to adjust a few settings on the router like tweaking Wireless settings for both bands, 20Mhz only for 2.4GHz and 80MHz for 5Ghz to get best throughput.

Also turned on NAT acceleration which uses CTF on the router's switch. This lwoered latency by half, I'm also using VM's DNS servers now as the Google DNS and Open DNS proved to be slower after testing what works best for this location using the Namebench utility.

If you turn on per IP monitoring (IPTraffic) in the router, I've found this runs the NAT traffic through the CPU and on an AC-87U this limited my speeds to 200Mbps. Just a note to those who might be getting slower than expected speeds and have an ASUS router.

Soldato
Oh yeah good shout. Various monitoring and ifltering options rely on CPU usage so enabling those will turn off NAT acceleration too.

That's correct, it will disable that CTF or NAT Acceleration which caused me a bit of headache before. Also I see you're on the 350MB package for £42, I'm currently on that for £35 right now but they took away the TiVo so it's just standard phone line and BB.

Soldato
I'm having a weird issue with my Hitron router which I got with my Virgin Media package. I can log in initially to set everything up, but when I try to login again to the admin panel, it just times out. I have the default password and username saved in a password manager, so there are no problems there. I have no idea how to fix this issue.

Soldato
I'm having a weird issue with my Hitron router which I got with my Virgin Media package. I can log in initially to set everything up, but when I try to login again to the admin panel, it just times out. I have the default password and username saved in a password manager, so there are no problems there. I have no idea how to fix this issue.

Sounds like a replacement is needed! Please be careful though as VM tend to take you asking for a new router as a way of silently re-contracting you.

Permabanned
I signed up for the ultimate oomph, just because 500 meg lols, was only a few quid more than my current package. Not a bad deal with the sim, extra channels and speed.

Think we have a couple of old phones knocking around, will try those first, if they still work. :)

Associate
Anyone know if I can use the VM phone sim, from the Ultimate Ooomph package, in some kind of portable hot spot we can use in the car?

Or could just put it in a old phone I guess.

I am using mine for my 4G modem which acts as a failover backup for my VM service and it works fine so I cannot see any reason that wouldn't work.

Associate
I actually have the Linksys and its decent enough, however its not that great reaching upstairs. Will depend how big your house is.
Thank you for reply, house size
and will try to set it up next to the stairs.
Asus routers in my experience are excellent for that kind of usage. I have up to 15 devices connecting to my wifi both 5GHz and 2.4 along with around 8 wired devices around the house. WiFi reaches the far reaches no probs and there are no issues with drops etc when one device is downloading or streaming etc. Remember to have CTF enabled to maximise the connection throughput.
Thank you for replay, was more on asus side any way, just wanted to see what others will offer

Associate
So the first part of my move away from the abomination that is Virgin Media has been initiated. Placed my order with Community Fibre for their symmetrical gigafast 1GB FTTH and an install date of next Saturday. No install cost, £35 a month and 3 months free. Win.

I'm not joking, I've had Virgin for less than a year and during which I have had over 60 outages, usually affecting both TV & Internet. It's got so bad that I've setup an internal Zabbix server just for a laugh to monitor the drops. Customer service is in India or wherever, you make your mind up there as to how well that works out. Quite literally the worst service and company I have ever experienced. The only reason I went with them is because it was either ADSL 2+ speeds or their VIVID service. My god I miss Sky. So now I'm counting down the days until the end of contract and telling them to do one.

Back
Top Bottom