Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
the new TV Anywhere app - to control the TIVO box do you have to be connected wirelessly to the Superhub ?

I've got the TIVO connected to the Superhub, and that works fine to my Ipad via wifi, but if I change to my other router (connected to the superhub) - I can't access the TIVO ...

only reason I ask is for stability and performance reasons, I was going to change to an Asus 66u, and put the Superhub in modem only mode, but if the TV Anywhere app won't then work then pointless me forking out the money for the Asus

Associate
I was suffering jitter and bad pings some time ago, it cleared so I decided to upgrade to 100Mb.

It was rock solid for 5 Months but then the past 3 weeks or so I'm getting problems during the day. Games that would suffer higher pings in the evening give me pings of 50-80ish during the day as well.

It's a joke when I'm paying £34 a month. I really don't know what to do, it seems if you ring up and complain nothing gets done and I don't really know of any better options in my area.....

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I was suffering jitter and bad pings some time ago, it cleared so I decided to upgrade to 100Mb.

It was rock solid for 5 Months but then the past 3 weeks or so I'm getting problems during the day. Games that would suffer higher pings in the evening give me pings of 50-80ish during the day as well.

It's a joke when I'm paying £34 a month. I really don't know what to do, it seems if you ring up and complain nothing gets done and I don't really know of any better options in my area.....

Is FTTC available? Use the address checker @ https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/s...unity/Coverage/ADSL_Availibility_Checker.html

Associate
been rock solid

and stand by my claim

"when it works its the best, when its not good luck on the phone to india"

This is exactly what I'd say, for that reason I'd never chance going with Virgin, I've heard some people say it's brilliant but the majority of people I hear from get capped during peak hours. For me, I'm at work during non-peak hours so that's no good.

Associate

Normal ADSL is with a max speed of 7.5Mbps :(

As for infinity, that's not at our little exchange so I've always been stuffed really and stuck with virgin. However to be fair I've been with them since NTL and its only the last couple of years that I've seen any problems with slowness etc. They are just overloading their equipment and not upgrading it to cope....

Soldato
VM cable is fairly high quality co-ax cable to the house, as opposed to most/all DSL systems which tend to be unsheilded, untwisted copper pair to the house from the cab/exchange.
If you ever setup an old network in the 90's, you'd probably be familiar with the rough type of cabling used, and why VM tend to get upset with unapproved hardware/cabling being connected:)

So whilst it's not fibre to the house, it is better than the copper pair of wires used for phone/dsl

Cheers Ww.

What is the best way to check broadband speed? I previously used speedtest and recently bbmax. But Honestly speaking the results for these varies from time to time.... for example now its reporting 35mbit when I have a 60mbit connection.

Associate
Just swapped out my FVS338 router (limited to around 64Mbps WAN->LAN) for an SRX5308 and run a quick speed test:

2297276732.png

Certainly no speed problems in this area tonight :D :cool:

Associate
Am I right in assuming that you all think the Superhub is a piece poop and I should get rid of somehow immediately?

yes it's a pile of crap

the wireless has never worked on mine and virgin never sent out an engineer like they said they would

i have tonight just ordered bt infinity

had enough of virgin

Man of Honour
If you ever setup an old network in the 90's, you'd probably be familiar with the rough type of cabling used, and why VM tend to get upset with unapproved hardware/cabling being connected:)

Everyone should have to set up a BNC network at some point, they have it easy now a days :D

Associate
Yup, Reading area here too and the London server is much faster than Newbury. Seriously loving this speed boost, just set a new personal best for real-world download speed :D

8cAWX.png

I do wish the upload was better though, getting some stick from friends on Infinity and trying to backup 1Tb to the cloud is a nightmare :(

Soldato
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1352574854&v=17787370

Nice considering i wasnt even aware. Just popped round my exs and went to download something and thought woah holy carp its flying!

Done a speed test and wished she wasnt my ex lol.

£35 for 60mb down 3 mb up...........medium tv package and phone with free calls all evening and weekeend!

Damn me for being a loyal customer.

EDIT she has to move in april how does that work?

Back
Top Bottom