Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Ordinarily I'd agree re a resi connection but they know full well people have no choice but to be working from home at the moment. For planned maintenance they ought to be emailing. It's not difficult. They seem to have no problem sending me weekly emails trying to get me to sign up to TV etc.

Soldato
You have no backup devices like a work phone or personal phone with a sim card?

As **** as Virgin are you've set yourself up for failure at some point if so.
If I have to use a vpn into a secure work network for overseas offices what alternative do you think I have smart Alec? I haven't set myself up for anything. There's this thing called covid stuffing everything up.

Caporegime
If I have to use a vpn into a secure work network for overseas offices what alternative do you think I have smart Alec? I haven't set myself up for anything. There's this thing called covid stuffing everything up.

It's a fairly simple process in setting up a mobile device to use a VPN.

If you have no means of contacting someone at work because your residential connection has gone down then you have bigger issues to worry about.

Soldato
Ok let's agree to disagree. You know nothing of my work, employer or their it requirements. Nor what I was doing across timezones etc. I have better things to do than try to reason with you.

Caporegime
I don't need to know any specifics, if you or your employer doesn't have any contingency plans in place for connection downtime then looking like a tit at some point is inevitable.

Even small businesses these days have contingency plans and solutions in place for connection downtime.

It's just a tad ironic in complaining that Virgin can't properly communicate issues with customers when you can't even do it yourself with your employer.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You're not going to get a consumer-targeting ISP that sends you maintenance notifications, my BT service went down for an hour a couple of weeks ago around 3am - those are just off-peak hours and they know that they're going to be impacting tiny numbers of customers.

If I moved to a 100% remote position or went into business for myself I would beef up the resilience of my connection (e.g. by having some). For now I can just tether my phone if necessary but I guess I would end up with a BT Business connection with 4G assure, or put something together myself with a MikroTik router or similar.

I'm interested in how you can VPN over your VM connection but not on an LTE one though. Do they whitelist your IP addresses or something?

Soldato
Broadband down for anyone else? Service status site says my area is fine but on my hub 3 I've got a solid green LED at the bottom and flashing green arrows LED which isn't an option on their troubleshooting page.

Wondering if my modem has booked itself or if it's an area issue.

EDIT* it's an area problem, my brother got back to me who lives close and his is down too. PO7 postcode

Last edited:
Associate
Decision time again, I was all set on moving to BT Fibre 900 @ £60 pm, but VM have come back and offered 350/35 for £36 or £42 for 500/35 broadband only. I'm currently on 350 with the big TV bundle paying 50 per month rising to £90. We never use their TV service, so the broadband only option appeals. Anyone been able to get a better deal?

Caporegime
100Mbps upload with BT FTTP combined with a cashback deal and the general vastly better network they operate vs. Virgin Media (and you can use your own router) would make it hard to resist.

Soldato
Decision time again, I was all set on moving to BT Fibre 900 @ £60 pm, but VM have come back and offered 350/35 for £36 or £42 for 500/35 broadband only. I'm currently on 350 with the big TV bundle paying 50 per month rising to £90. We never use their TV service, so the broadband only option appeals. Anyone been able to get a better deal?
BT's network is much better. I moved from Virgin's 350Mb service, to BT's 300Mb service last year, and my connection stability has been much better since. I then moved to their 900Mb service in March. Also my ping decreased massively, because Virgin's network and hub is awful for gaming.

Soldato

Nice, that 350/35 for £36 is what I'd be after - did you have to cancel to get offered that?

I rang up the other day to try and get them to match the new customer deal for 350mb + 15GB mobile sim for £43, but they wouldn't even get close, so looks like I'll be cancelling later today if they can't do better this time.

Last edited:
Permabanned
BT's network is much better. I moved from Virgin's 350Mb service, to BT's 300Mb service last year, and my connection stability has been much better since. I then moved to their 900Mb service in March. Also my ping decreased massively, because Virgin's network and hub is awful for gaming.

Area based though, my Virgin connection is great. Also there is literally no competition around here. :(

Associate
Nice, that 350/35 for £36 is what I'd be after - did you have to cancel to get offered that?

I rang up the other day to try and get them to match the new customer deal for 350mb + 15GB mobile sim for £43, but they wouldn't even get close, so looks like I'll be cancelling later today if they can't do better this time.
Yeah, i had to cancel, i've played the game for about 4 years now and they usually wait until two weeks before cutoff, this time they called me back within 2 days. My connection has been pretty solid with very few drop outs over the years, so i am pretty happy with their service. Also, i'm not sure i would get much value in moving to 1Gb, since most of the house is Wifi and i'd need to upgrade from the BT Home WIFI discs (Gen 1) to get the full benefit.

Associate
Does anyone know a way to improve ping ? I'm on 200mb virgin media using ethernet to the PS4 (router next to PS4) and my ping is just poor.
Ping somewhere closer? ;)
Are you referring to your ping on Speedtest.net or in general?
Trying other sites like fast.com could bring different (better) results, or running this command to see if your ping is varying much?
Code:
ping 1.1.1.1
If it's poor across all devices (And some are wired) then it's likely a regional thing and nothing you can do

Soldato
Ping somewhere closer? ;)
Are you referring to your ping on Speedtest.net or in general?
Trying other sites like fast.com could bring different (better) results, or running this command to see if your ping is varying much?
Code:
ping 1.1.1.1
If it's poor across all devices (And some are wired) then it's likely a regional thing and nothing you can do
I'm talking about ping on my PS4 when in a game such as FIFA and Call of duty. I'm usually around 40ms ping which is pretty garbage.

I've just done a fast.com and had 14ms unloaded 40ms loaded.

Caporegime
40ms to FIFA servers would be pretty normal at a guess, as I believe UK players are directed to the servers based in Germany rather than the Netherlands?

I've just tested the ping to one of the German server addresses I found and get 27-28ms. For reference, I get 10ms to London servers from the North East.

I find fast.com to be fairly inconsistent, but the test I've just done reported 10ms unloaded, 18ms loaded.

Back
Top Bottom