Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
I'm talking about ping on my PS4 when in a game such as FIFA and Call of duty. I'm usually around 40ms ping which is pretty garbage.

I've just done a fast.com and had 14ms unloaded 40ms loaded.
sounds like you could do with running a QoS to help with your loaded ping times, rather thaqn letting your connection be saturated.

Soldato
Decision time again, I was all set on moving to BT Fibre 900 @ £60 pm, but VM have come back and offered 350/35 for £36 or £42 for 500/35 broadband only. I'm currently on 350 with the big TV bundle paying 50 per month rising to £90. We never use their TV service, so the broadband only option appeals. Anyone been able to get a better deal?

Cancelled yesterday, got a call today with that same 350/35 for £36 offer. Added a 15GB sim for £9, sorted :)

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Anyone heard when the sky UHD channels are coming? I know this is the internet forum but closest thread we have :)

Was announced almost a year back and still no sign!

Associate
Can you do that on the superhub 3 ?
SuperHub 3 doesn't support QoS, you'd need some third-party gear to enable these features.

Anyone heard when the sky UHD channels are coming? I know this is the internet forum but closest thread we have :)

Was announced almost a year back and still no sign!
Still supposed to be coming in 2020, although wouldn't be surprised if they blame covid and defer to next year

Soldato
You're not going to get a consumer-targeting ISP that sends you maintenance notifications, my BT service went down for an hour a couple of weeks ago around 3am - those are just off-peak hours and they know that they're going to be impacting tiny numbers of customers.

If I moved to a 100% remote position or went into business for myself I would beef up the resilience of my connection (e.g. by having some). For now I can just tether my phone if necessary but I guess I would end up with a BT Business connection with 4G assure, or put something together myself with a MikroTik router or similar.

I'm interested in how you can VPN over your VM connection but not on an LTE one though. Do they whitelist your IP addresses or something?
I usually get mails/letters from vm for maintenance.

Edit: from memory it’s usually for prolonged maintenance, but if you check the status checker it usually references it there.

Caporegime
I'm thinking of switching from my ISP so what's the general consensus on Virgin these days? Where's a good place to start comparing (moneysavingexpert.com as good as any other)?

Associate
I'm thinking of switching from my ISP so what's the general consensus on Virgin these days? Where's a good place to start comparing (moneysavingexpert.com as good as any other)?

It depends on the service you're after but mostly the contention and service issues in the area you're in.

In my last home VM provided good service for almost a decade. However in the current one it was awful for three years (sub 1Mbps download in the evening) but currently it's okay although I now have a good backup on a failover system (4G modem) for when VM has issues.

Before I moved in I asked half the street about the service but most said it was great (others didn't know either way) even when it proved to be poor after I moved in.

Caporegime
It depends on the service you're after but mostly the contention and service issues in the area you're in.

In my last home VM provided good service for almost a decade. However in the current one it was awful for three years (sub 1Mbps download in the evening) but currently it's okay although I now have a good backup on a failover system (4G modem) for when VM has issues.

Before I moved in I asked half the street about the service but most said it was great (others didn't know either way) even when it proved to be poor after I moved in.

Thanks, I'm in no great hurry so I'm checking various sources out on the web. Unfortunately, Hyperoptics isn't available in my area though some of their services would be way above my needs anyway. They appear to have good prices, though, which is a shame. :/

Last edited:
Soldato
The VM service status page needs a full postcode apparently.

But, I just entered a postcode where I know they have VM and the status page itself is broken - it just refreshes and asks me to login or enter a postcode again.

Soldato
I have been with Virgin (Telewest) etc from the time they first introduced broadband (512K) and I hate having to pay £47 per month for a 200 broadband only connection - absolutely no way i can negotiate it any lower - grits my teeth to see people getting 350 / 35 lol - shouldnt be treated any differently just because there is no competition in my area

Caporegime
Is there a way to get M500 without the bundle? I've seen a few people say they've had it offered to them but it only seems to be offered when you're up for renewal. No way of doing it on the site and most of the people you get through to on the phone don't have a clue either.

I've no need or interest for the phone line or TV.

Soldato
Is there a way to get M500 without the bundle? I've seen a few people say they've had it offered to them but it only seems to be offered when you're up for renewal. No way of doing it on the site and most of the people you get through to on the phone don't have a clue either.

I've no need or interest for the phone line or TV.

Same I just want to go from m350 to m500

Associate
sounds like you could do with running a QoS to help with your loaded ping times, rather thaqn letting your connection be saturated.

Is this worth the purchase of an additional router? What is the net latency gain?

I am swaying towards QoS - any suggestions on the router? I have been looking st the nighthawks.

Soldato
I have a question, not so much a VM question, but wasn't worth starting a new thread. I think I know the answer, but wanted to confirm with those that know more.
I have VM 100Mb, Archer D9 AC1900 router and connecting via an old TP-Link TL-PA201 homeplug.
Testing via Speedtest.net I get 8ms ping, 45Mbps download, 10Mbps upload.
I'm not too fussed about the 45Mbps download as 100Mbps was the cheapest offer at the time, and I only browse/youtube/game.

My question is about the home plug. It's about a decade old, has home plug technology gone anywhere that I'd notice any difference if I were to replace it with something newer?
The only online game I really play is League of Legends, but I wouldn't really notice going from 8ms to lower? The stability of the connection is solid, so no problems to speak of.
I think I'm just wanting to replace for the sake of it, so tell me if there's no point and I'll stop trying to waste money, thanks.

Edit: I've just tried fast.com and I get 11ms unloaded and 136ms loaded, I assume loaded is going to be the more accurate latency in games? What's the best way to reduce that?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have a question, not so much a VM question, but wasn't worth starting a new thread. I think I know the answer, but wanted to confirm with those that know more.
I have VM 100Mb, Archer D9 AC1900 router and connecting via an old TP-Link TL-PA201 homeplug.
Testing via Speedtest.net I get 8ms ping, 45Mbps download, 10Mbps upload.
I'm not too fussed about the 45Mbps download as 100Mbps was the cheapest offer at the time, and I only browse/youtube/game.

My question is about the home plug. It's about a decade old, has home plug technology gone anywhere that I'd notice any difference if I were to replace it with something newer?
The only online game I really play is League of Legends, but I wouldn't really notice going from 8ms to lower? The stability of the connection is solid, so no problems to speak of.
I think I'm just wanting to replace for the sake of it, so tell me if there's no point and I'll stop trying to waste money, thanks.

Edit: I've just tried fast.com and I get 11ms unloaded and 136ms loaded, I assume loaded is going to be the more accurate latency in games? What's the best way to reduce that?

You will get a faster in terms of bandwidth connection. which will help in downloading large files like new games or updates, etc.

as for ping i doubt that would improve.

the real issue though is. decent homeplugs cost like £100 for 2 of them. you could buy a switch for £10-£20 and shove it in the attic and buy enough cables already terminated to do your whole home for £20-£50. so not only would it be cheaper. you would have pretty much the best connection possible in terms of ping, bandwidth and stability for cheaper. although you would need to drill a few holes here and there.

Soldato
I did think about having cable run into the room, but I honestly would have no idea where/how to start on doing that??
I would only need 2 connections in one room (office) on the first floor. If it's pretty easy, do you have any particular link/tutorial on how to do it?
One thing we wouldn't be able to do without checking is drilling into the ceiling, as it's textured (1960s build), and don't know if it has asbestos fibres.

Back
Top Bottom