Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
I got Gig1 this week for £35 from retentions. That's with Volt, so £45 in total with the 10GB O2 sim.

Nice one. How do they word it on the phone? They offer you "500/600Mb" plan then upgrade it still to Gig1 free on the plan? Did wonder this when I come to renew later in the year. Currently on Gig1 with Volt, but unsure how they'd handle renewals on it, or if they'd try con you out of your Volt benefit/pricing.

Soldato
Just phoned retentions, surprisingly painless was paying 36 for 200 and phone, was going to pay 50, straight away offered 200 for 33 and then without pushing 350 for 33. Very strange, also just signed up with O2 for 30 gig 12mth 10 quid, so will add that to get volt benefits as well.

So I'll be very happy with 500 and 60gig for £43.

Associate
I got more or less the same also, the only slight difference is my Gig1 is £33pm, but 02 sim is the same, and what I did was ported one of my EE number over to O2.
Great price. I'll cancel the O2 sim after 14 days as O2 is awful where I am.

VM's T&C's say I can do this, without penalty to my VM account until I next recontract.

If you subsequently cancel your eligible O2 Pay Monthly Mobile Plan after the 14 day period referred to in Section A.1.4 above, the Volt benefits for your Virgin Media services may be lost when you next recontract to Virgin Media’s services.

Last edited:
Associate
Nice one. How do they word it on the phone? They offer you "500/600Mb" plan then upgrade it still to Gig1 free on the plan? Did wonder this when I come to renew later in the year. Currently on Gig1 with Volt, but unsure how they'd handle renewals on it, or if they'd try con you out of your Volt benefit/pricing.

They didn't mention anything about upgrading to the next speed, by default they quoted the packages with O2 included.

I'm going to drop the O2 sim after 14 days, as their performance is abysmal where I am.

Soldato
They didn't mention anything about upgrading to the next speed, by default they quoted the packages with O2 included.

I'm going to drop the O2 sim after 14 days, as their performance is abysmal where I am.

Fair enough, thanks.

Will they not subsequently downgrade your internet again then to the lower tier/speed?

Caporegime
I’m starting to get a little concerned, it’s been around 3 weeks since I cancelled and now 10 days until it actually happens, and still no call from retentions :eek:
I got a call 3-4 days after I cancelled, then never again.

Yesterday was my disconnection date.

I had a bunch of texts telling me to call 03303035301 If things have changed and I wanted to change my mind.

I already switched to BT anyway so... but seems you won't get a call from retentions unless you had one in the first few days and missed it.

I was with virgin since the telewest/blueyonder days and never once tried to haggle for a discount, seems they thought they could offer me a crap deal and I would stick around.
no thanks.... loyalty works both ways just not with VM

Soldato

I had a bunch of texts telling me to call 03303035301 If things have changed and I wanted to change my mind.

I already switched to BT anyway so... but seems you won't get a call from retentions unless you had one in the first few days and missed it.

I was with virgin since the telewest/blueyonder days and never once tried to haggle for a discount, seems they thought they could offer me a crap deal and I would stick around.

doh yes I’ve had that text. However no calls, missed or otherwise. Annoying! I guess I’m going to have to call them next week and try to get a deal myself. Talk about a weak negotiating position :mad:

Associate
Great price. I'll cancel the O2 sim after 14 days as O2 is awful where I am.

VM's T&C's say I can do this, without penalty to my VM account until I next recontract.

Before you cancel you may want to just check with O2 that they will not charge you an early cancellation fee which could be circa £195.

Soldato

Hopefullly that works out for you but in my case it take well over 14 days for the Volt benefits from either company to become active. I would imagine if your benefits arent active yet and you cancel your o2 sim then they never will go live.

When I rang up to negociate a new deal they kept refering to my VM package at 500mb even though I was\am on 350mb Volted to 500mb

Associate
Before you cancel you may want to just check with O2 that they will not charge you an early cancellation fee which could be circa £195.
Thanks for that titbit of information, after many years of using 30 day sim contracts, I never even thought I might be locked into a 18 month contract for a sim. I guess I won't be leaving O2.

O2 isn't fit for purpose in my opinion, I get 1mbit at best on 4G. I wish I hadn't already done my PAC transfer.

I guess my best option is to transfer to an esim, then add another physical sim for data.

For the moment I've dropped down to 3G as that gives me better speeds, crazy!

Last edited:
Soldato
doh yes I’ve had that text. However no calls, missed or otherwise. Annoying! I guess I’m going to have to call them next week and try to get a deal myself. Talk about a weak negotiating position :mad:

Finally got my call back from retentions. Sadly no offers on gig at the moment other then using 02 Volt, which I can't do as I need Three for its international roaming. I was paying £72pcm for M350, Basic TV and Phone and got a deal for £35pcm for M500 with Basic TV and phone. Wasn't bothered about the TV or phone but M500 only was the same price so thought might as well have the phone line. Thanks for the advice everyone :p

Soldato
Rang virgin to check if the routing for retentions is still the same (0345 454 1111 option 1 1 4 4) as i was going to send this to someone for them to call and renegotiate their contract

I was surprised when their automated line said, "Sorry to hear you are thinking of leaving.. we can offer you a saving of £3.86 per month for 6 months with no changes to your contract press 1 to accept...." I had only just fixed it for 18 months 2 months ago so was surpised to hear it.. needless to say i accepted :D £24 nearly off my bill for basically no reason.

Associate

Ditto. Disconnection date is tomorrow, with last bill going out at the end of March. Switched to Community Fibre - very happy, so far.

12870308337.png

Caporegime
Thanks for that titbit of information, after many years of using 30 day sim contracts, I never even thought I might be locked into a 18 month contract for a sim. I guess I won't be leaving O2.

O2 isn't fit for purpose in my opinion, I get 1mbit at best on 4G. I wish I hadn't already done my PAC transfer.

I guess my best option is to transfer to an esim, then add another physical sim for data.

For the moment I've dropped down to 3G as that gives me better speeds, crazy!

I would try and get out the contract if the performance is that poor. Regardless of any Ofcom stuff or terms and conditions, UK law requires the service that you pay for to be delivered. I can't see O2 caring too much about holding you to term on a SIM-only deal.

Try this rather than dealing with O2 directly:
Resolve your O2 Complaints for free | Resolver UK

Back
Top Bottom