Virtual Pinball machine build

Associate
Hey Guys,
Thought I would do a log of my virtual pinball build for anyone who is interested in this kinda thing.
I've always had a huge love for pinball, my parents were in the pub trade and as a kid I lived in various pubs with Pinball Machines. As a kid of the 80's/90's and living on the doorstep of a seaside resort I also had a lot of opportunities to play the latest tables back then. Unfortunately now, tables are few and far between here in the UK so I decided to build a virtual table. I could never afford a real one:(

Initially the idea started small but has grown somewhat lately. I built my son a Hyperspin arcade cabinet for Christmas and learnt a lot doing that. Hopefully this is going to be a great thing to have in the house.

Will be running Visual Pinball X... Pinball FX3 and PinballX front end.

The intention is to incorporate several contactors for force feedback, a real analogue-digital plunger and also a Kinect 2.0 to allow optic feedback into the system to generate the table into a 3d space/ image. This makes the table change perspective as you move and it really does give it a 3d feel.

Anyway, here is my arcade I built which led me to where I am today :) (my daughter playing)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
r

Laying out some parts for initial testing phase. I wanted to build a Mini Pinball table, but the 24" monitor just did not look big enough So I upgraded to a 27". There is potential room for a 30-32" in the future. Maybe a 4K screen will be added later.

Making sure the parts all work and installed Windows onto a 256Gb SSD

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Untitled by

Found someone selling CNC cut pinball kits. The idea fitted what I wanted to achieve perfectly and as I don't have my own workshop, I decided to pay for the craftmanship. Maybe next time I will create my own cabinet. I would like to build a full size eventually.

If anyone is interested in buying a kit, search for “arcade flat pack” on eBay uk.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

Kit turned up and I loosely put it together.... it's certainly bigger than I anticipated. I mean I did measure up but it still took me by surprise! Anyway, the cabinet has good room for extra toys later in the build.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

Had a quick idea regarding legs that I sent across to a friend. He assures me from this sketch he can create me a great set of legs lol

Last edited:
Associate
OP

Mounting PC parts onto MDF is a bit unusual. I picked up an old PC case for free and cut out the motherboard tray. I cut around the GPU support to give my card a bit extra support.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

Also cut out a half support for the PSU. Things are beginning to move now!

Specs of the build here are : Intel i5 3470 CPU - 8GB XMS3 DDR3 1600 - Zotac GTX1050ti Mini.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

Quick test of ACDC on the new 27" monitor playfield.

Tried to overclock the panel but it tops out at 66hz... was hoping for 75 :(

Anyway, its good enough for now.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

Initial design idea for the vinyl wrap. Probably a little overklill so I removed the tornado.

Finished design idea.

hand finished pinball.

Ready for print!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Not a lot I can do right now as I am waiting for the Vinyl to be printed. I expected it today but the print shop has had troubles today so I have to wait until next week now. I had bought some aluminium look vinyl for some areas so I spent some time with that today.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom