vista 32 or 64 bit?

Associate
I'm confused as to what to do then.

The Sound Card I want to get is a few years old I think so will most likely be 32bit... Also I want to get Cubase SX3 and Pro Tools LE as well as other Virtual Instrments/Synths/Virtual Samplers etc... Will all these also need 32bit or won't it matter if I run them on Vista 64bit? :rolleyes:

EDIT: At the moment it seems that with regards to Music Software and Hardware, most of it at the moment is only 32Bit compatible, so for now I'll buy the 32Bit version and maybe upgrade to 64Bit later when 64Bit drivers are released etc..? Would this be ok? Only thing is, I'm buying a 64Bit CPU.. Seems a waste really if I'm still going to be using 32Bit stuff...

Thank you very much again for the help

Kind regards,
-Rob

Last edited:
Soldato
Your SoundCard will more than likely be 16Bit, however, the power of the SoundCard, will not make any difference as to how many bits the O/S has.

When a SoundCard says its so many bits, thats usually the number of bits that it can record sound with.

Many creative cards for example, are 24Bit and before that, they were 16 and before that 12 or 8, although to be honest, on the PC 16Bits have been the norm.

As for Vista and Music, I think its a little too early to say.

If you are using the SoundCard for Midi I/O then of course you need the drivers to be properly working otherwise you could be fmbling around trying to get your Keyboards/Expanders running when you might never be able to, but then this can often be an issue on any SoundCard and any OS to be fair.

Also you need the software to be fully working too!

So, unless you know 100% that both the Card and the Sequencing Software do indeed fulyl work under Vista, I would not bother with them.

Like I said, I have not bothered at all with PCs even though I gave them almost 2 years of my life trying to get them to be as good as my humble Ataris, they failed miserably and were too poor to warrant the change.

Building up a Music PC just to run CuBase VST that cost me over £1500 in total and then giving up and buying another Atari, Says it all to me.

Back
Top Bottom