VMware Fusion Tech Preview 2023 is now live

No it's not shaky in any way. Emulating x86 on other architectures has been around for a long time and is perfectly fine. There have been open source emulators for decades, Microsoft does it on ARM Windows as well.

The M-series chips are somewhat different, Rosetta is software emulation but the chips have a hardware x86 memory ordering module, that's partly why Rosetta 2 works so well. Given that they've been out for almost 3 years and there haven't been any noise or legal challenge about this, they're either in the clear license wise or Apple may have acquired the appropriate license to build the memory ordering module.

That's what im thinking, x86 licensing/emulation has always been somewhat shaky in terms of what is/isnt allowed so far as I can tell. Intel released a statement, I think, back in about 2017 where they mention both emulation and defending their intellectual property so I guess something since has changed or that people bypass it in some loophole sort of way. As I said in my initial post not something I have spent a huge amount of time looking at but interesting none the less. I still cant get used to my m1 air I bought. Used it probably 10 times as I needed it for apple configurator, ive tried so hard to like it since but still pick up my windows machines every single time. Need to invest some more time in it i think.

Last edited:
If you want to emulate x86/x86_64 operating systems on Apple Silicon you can use UTM. It is free on their website but I paid for it on the App Store because I wanted to support it.

Do you think the official release will come out when macOS 14 is released to the public? I haven't had any real issues with the tech preview but it would be nice to get the official release at some point.

Do you think the official release will come out when macOS 14 is released to the public? I haven't had any real issues with the tech preview but it would be nice to get the official release at some point.
We have internal release candidates, however I can't share any more detail than that.

Is the tech preview fully free or trial bounded? I got a popup for buying a fusion 13 pro key today? But I think that version is older than the 2023 tech preview right?

Last edited:
Is the tech preview fully free or trial bounded? I got a popup for buying a fusion 13 pro key today? But I think that version is older than the 2023 tech preview right?
I believe that the Tech Preview is free, however it is expected that you provide feedback. The full version of Pro has a fee.

How can you participate? It’s easy, and it’s free!

1. Download and install the Fusion 2023 Tech Preview
  2. Check out the Testing Guide
  3. Install or Upgrade Windows 11 and install VMware Tools! (step by step instructions in the Testing Guide)
  4. Play some games, run some apps, do what you do!
  5. Let us know how it went in the Fusion 2023 Tech Preview VMTN Community

Are we expecting an imminent update to this? My tech preview is saying the license is due to expire in a few days.

Really hope so - looks like only 3 days left on the TP license - I guess VMs will just die then... Probably a bad time to buy 13 Pro as well if a new one is out imminently that needs an upgraded license anyway :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom