VMware Fusion Tech Preview 2023 is now live

Soldato
This came out at the perfect time because I wanted to play around with Microsoft 365 Copilot and it is Windows only at the moment. So this update seems to bring Fusion to the same level as Parallels when it comes to Windows ARM which is great because Fusion was always better for Linux and other operating systems.

Soldato
I'm not sure if you know but is there a plan to regularly update VMWare Fusion Pro? It runs the main Linux systems satisfactorily but I'd like to see some more features to help developers. I'm thinking about things like simulating network problems so you can make sure your software behaves correctly in the face of errors.

I haven't used VMWare Workstation Pro in a couple of years now but I swear it had far more features than Fusion Pro.

Man of Honour
OP
It's VMware, the large W in the name was dropped in 2000 or so.

I don't think network fault simulation is something that is going to come to Fusion or Workstation, as you can use a Linux VM as a gateway and inject packet loss using the right software. Then again I haven't used Workstation in many years so perhaps it's an option. Perhaps send a Tweet to Michael Roy - https://twitter.com/mikeroySoft

Soldato
Workstation has those kinds of options per-NIC on the VM. Not sure about Fusion.

CPNdyhB.png

Soldato
Hmm. Just had an email saying that Broadcom has bought VMware and that I should move my VMware support account to Broadcom. If I don't do it by May the 6th the support account will stop working.

Soldato
Hmm. So I migrated my account to Broadcom and at the time it said that everything was transferred correctly but I just logged in to check and I don't have any entitlements still.

Soldato
Hmm. So I migrated my account to Broadcom and at the time it said that everything was transferred correctly but I just logged in to check and I don't have any entitlements still.

Don't worry, we pay many, many, many millions to them yearly and we don't either :D it's a migration of pure failure.

Man of Honour
OP
May 10th Update - We continue to work diligently to complete the migration of VMware products, downloads, license keys, and support cases as quickly as possible and anticipate the large majority of these activities will be completed within the next 48-72hrs. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time, and we thank you for your continued support.

Give it a few days chaps, it's a massive migration and there's bound to be teething issues.

Soldato
I did create a new thread as I think it's worthy of one, but I'll mention it here also:

VMware Fusion/Workstation Pro are now free for personal use!
That is good news. I hope with the acquisition Broadcom will release more regular updates.

Soldato
Give it a few days chaps, it's a massive migration and there's bound to be teething issues.

I do agree on the scale, but it's very difficult when you are being lambasted because you can't raise cases, or license new services with the portfolio you pay >£10m a year to.

I did create a new thread as I think it's worthy of one, but I'll mention it here also:

VMware Fusion/Workstation Pro are now free for personal use!

Great news, just saw this on Eppings LinkedIn post. I don't use them anymore, but more free cost software for personal use is great.

Back
Top Bottom