VMware or Parallels??

Permabanned
I wants to install Windows but what shall i get

- Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac

or

- VMware Fusion

They are both the same price.

Also I'm sure i read somewhere that you can install Windows using Boot camp but also open it virtually inside OS X.. Is it possible and if so which one can do it?

Ta :p

Associate
VMWare Fusion, much better. You have the ability to search through Windows apps like spotlight does, and then choose to run just that application.

Look at this video at 1:12: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIApJMzGzDQ

VMWare Fusion > Parallels. ;)

Edit: Bear in mind that video was posted 9 months ago, so much more features will be available now too.

Last edited:
Associate
can they both be used for other OS's too? i'll be gettin one shortly and will want to run linux on a VM too. Does this requirement sway the decision at all?

Associate
I've found that Parallels runs faster than VMWare, I don't think you would go far wrong with either product to be honest.

Associate
can they both be used for other OS's too? i'll be gettin one shortly and will want to run linux on a VM too. Does this requirement sway the decision at all?

Yes, AFAIK.

I have run Ubuntu and Win 2000.

However, there are quite a few "complete" VMs whcih you can download for Fusion - not certain this is available for Parallels.

Soldato
I'm using parallels for autocad and it seems pretty quick.

The lst time I ran VMWare Fusion was in the beta tho :( so can't really say too much in comparing them.

Looking at the video posted above, VMWare and Parallels still seem very similar. You can run windows apps in coherence mode, similar to the VMWare mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN9jNNeEd98

Soldato
As I said earlier pull a trial version of each and give them both a bash, if you like one more than the other then keep and ditch accordingly.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom