Vodafone Fiber 900meg???

Soldato
Have you considered a career in standup comedy? Wi-fi is an inherently flawed networking technology, the sync speed and throughput - especially scaled with multiple clients - simply doesn’t work in the manner you infer, it’s not comparable to an actual wired connection.
I never said it was. I made a simple statement that I get 900Mb over WiFi in response to someone saying that you won't get 900Mb over WiFi.

Anything beyond that is your own imagination.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Which APs do you achieve 900mbit over?
I never said it was. I made a simple statement that I get 900Mb over WiFi in response to someone saying that you won't get 900Mb over WiFi.

Anything beyond that is your own imagination.

Soldato
AFAIK no UK FTTC ISP throttles like that, it’s either a line fault, or a routing/peering/remote host issue - how are you measuring this? If it’s speedtest then use a different end point. If it’s via Wi-fi then use wired, with nothing else using the connection.

I wish it was as simple as a fault or equipment, its just a crap service, i've had umpteen BT engineers out and they find no issue, its contention with there service that i never had with Sky! Out of peak hours its as quick as the line sync.

Soldato
Ubiquiti AP AC-Pro. The max I've had is 1019.6MbV using WiFi sweetspots on my iPad pro 2018.

So you’re saying you’re measuring sync speed as I suspected which is meaningless. The accepted throughout cap on an AC Pro from numerous posts on the Unifi forums is in the range of 700Mbit in ideal conditions, also consider for a moment that even though it offers greater than gigabit sync’s, it’s got a single gigabit port (the second can’t be used for aggregation etc.). Again, that career in comedy beckons :D

Soldato
So you’re saying you’re measuring sync speed as I suspected which is meaningless. The accepted throughout cap on an AC Pro from numerous posts on the Unifi forums is in the range of 700Mbit in ideal conditions, also consider for a moment that even though it offers greater than gigabit sync’s, it’s got a single gigabit port (the second can’t be used for aggregation etc.). Again, that career in comedy beckons :D
You don't understand how WiFi Sweetspots work, do you?

Have you tried not being so obnoxious?

Last edited:
Soldato
You don't understand how WiFi Sweetspots work, do you?

Have you tried not being so obnoxious?

Let’s ignore how an AP and Wi-Fi actually work, overlook all the obvious issues and just focus on your example. You got 1019.6Mbit, do you understand that even if you had your AP plugged into a 100Mbit PoE switch, the app you seem to think is so amazing would give you the same sort of result? Yea... that’s kind of a problem as it’s not representative of actual throughput, just raw packets and only between a single client and a single device and only as long as it’s only on the AP. Unfortunately with real world overheads actual TCP packets, the accepted number from users is much, much lower. As you clearly don’t believe me, why not have a look at other Unifi AP AC Pro owners results on the Ubnt forums? I suppose because what they say contradicts what your app told you, they must be wrong and possibly obnoxious?

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Realistic-throughput-of-UAP-AC-PRO/td-p/1730349

Perhaps consider that just because you don’t realise something you’ve said is funny, it doesn’t preclude others from pointing out it’s funny and why. Getting bent out of shape about it doesn’t help anyone and is more likely increases the chances of your ‘feels’ getting trampled over even more.

Soldato
Let’s ignore how an AP and Wi-Fi actually work, overlook all the obvious issues and just focus on your example. You got 1019.6Mbit, do you understand that even if you had your AP plugged into a 100Mbit PoE switch, the app you seem to think is so amazing would give you the same sort of result? Yea... that’s kind of a problem as it’s not representative of actual throughput, just raw packets and only between a single client and a single device and only as long as it’s only on the AP. Unfortunately with real world overheads actual TCP packets, the accepted number from users is much, much lower. As you clearly don’t believe me, why not have a look at other Unifi AP AC Pro owners results on the Ubnt forums? I suppose because what they say contradicts what your app told you, they must be wrong and possibly obnoxious?

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Realistic-throughput-of-UAP-AC-PRO/td-p/1730349

Perhaps consider that just because you don’t realise something you’ve said is funny, it doesn’t preclude others from pointing out it’s funny and why. Getting bent out of shape about it doesn’t help anyone and is more likely increases the chances of your ‘feels’ getting trampled over even more.
That doesn't even say what you're claiming it does. It's theoretical, because most people are saying that they "think."

I don't really understand why you think I. Think WiFi Sweetspots is amazing either...

You also don't seem to understand what getting bent out of shape actually is. I'm calling you out for being obnoxious because you're being obnoxious. Telling me that I don't get the bandwidth I'm getting, because other people have said they get less, is highly obnoxious.

Either way, it changes nothing about what I said, and you're now changing your tune. Initially you accused me of just looking at the Tx rate and assuming that's my actual speed.

Caporegime
What does Wi-Fi Sweetspots check? Is there something that gets installed on the LAN and it measures performance through the AP?

Soldato
What does Wi-Fi Sweetspots check? Is there something that gets installed on the LAN and it measures performance through the AP?

If only - then it would potentially be a credible benchmark and i’d be eating humble pie. It’s a single device application for iOS/android designed to gauge raw throughput by measuring packets sent from the device to the AP - no data goes past the AP at all, which is why I pointed out running it with the AP on a 100Mbit switch or gigabit would give the same result. It’s intended to give a very rough indication of client or AP positioning for maximum signal quality/throughput.

Most of us know what will happen if an actual throughput test was run with iperf using TCP, it won’t be 1019.6Mbit or anything close which is what I pointed out. Evidently pointing it out by suggesting the claim made was laughable hit a nerve somewhere :D

Soldato
If only - then it would potentially be a credible benchmark and i’d be eating humble pie. It’s a single device application for iOS/android designed to gauge raw throughput by measuring packets sent from the device to the AP - no data goes past the AP at all, which is why I pointed out running it with the AP on a 100Mbit switch or gigabit would give the same result. It’s intended to give a very rough indication of client or AP positioning for maximum signal quality/throughput.

Most of us know what will happen if an actual throughput test was run with iperf using TCP, it won’t be 1019.6Mbit or anything close which is what I pointed out. Evidently pointing it out by suggesting the claim made was laughable hit a nerve somewhere :D
Again, you've changed what your point was. You were initially accusing me of just looking at my Tx speed and insisting that's what I got.

The link you provided also didn't say what you claimed it did. It was a forum post with people speculating.

It doesn't matter that it's just sending packets to the AP, because your point was never about that. You've consistently adjusted your point every time I've pointed out it was wrong.

You also haven't hit a nerve at all. I just don't understand why you have to be obnoxious and go far out of your way to keep being condescending. Clearly you've got some sort of complex that's spilling out.

Caporegime
is anyone using the new vodafone 900meg fiber line? its got 900meg up and down for £48 a month, £43 a month if you got a vodafone sim.
Installation of this has started in Cambridge and I'm sorely tempted.

Vodafone are notorious for dire customer service mind, so there is that worry.

Don
Gees what are people doing to need so much speed, I downgraded from 300meg to 50 Meg and the only time I notice is when I download 'Unix distros' from that popular Unix distri site...

I'd love for anything faster than my current ~30mbs fttc connection. With 3 kids on YouTube or downloading Fortnite updates, I have to use rate limiting on my router to stop Netflix being interrupted

Soldato
Installation of this has started in Cambridge and I'm sorely tempted.

Vodafone are notorious for dire customer service mind, so there is that worry.

I'll be swapping to over regardless as I wish to support the rollout of full fibre based services. I see the are still recruiting people locally for deployment so suspect it may be a year away before they start having customers connected.

Back
Top Bottom