Volkswagen cheats emissions tests!

Soldato
Well there's a bit more news in that the 1.6 will likely need new injectors and the others will need "new software".

Anyone know why injectors would be the thing here? I assume each injector has a min/max flow so is it possible that the 1.6 injectors can't go low enough or something? Both have similar injectors after a quick google, piezo 1600/1850 bar / 8 nozzle but there will likely be more differences im sure.

Spray pattern / atomisation characteristics.

Associate
I too got my letter from audi confirming that my vehicle had the e189 which i already knew. Just very intrigue on how they will fix the issue and what performance loss the car will lose being a 2.0tdi

Soldato
Tests aren't performed flat out, therefore it is very unlikely you will see a performance loss.
All they'll do is modify the software / injectors so it burns cleaner in the areas it needs to to pass the official test (not to be confused with an MOT test, this has nothing to do with the MOT)

No one gives a **** about emissions when your foot is buried in the shagpile, it all about heat management at that stage. Although saying that, dervs work the oposite to petrol, more fuel is more heat, petrol is less fuel more heat. :D

Last edited:
Soldato

Sky said:
Last week, the head of Volkswagen's US business, Michael Horn, said only "a couple of software engineers" were responsible.

That flies in the face of all the revelations we've heard so far, that VW were warned about this in 2011 and decided to do nothing. I rather doubt that decision would have been down to a software engineer. It might have been a software engineer that came up with the scheme (maybe, seems unlikely), but as soon as management knew about this the responsibility rested on their shoulders.

Such blatant lying/blame deflection suggest they haven't yet learned any lessons, so I don't feel too bad about the shafting that they are going to be receiving.

Caporegime
Soldato
Back
Top Bottom