VPN for 2016? Thinking of changing from PIA

Soldato
Wow all of you paid VPN subscriptions just to watch Netflix? :o

I used Hola Chrome extension for a year to watched movies and TV series on Netflix UK, USA, Canada, France, Germany and New Zealands. I switched to other Netflix regions to watched movies and TV series that was been expired, been watched Netflix all day on free unlimited Hola bandwidth had no connections or dropouts issues. :cool:

IIRC Hola makes you an endpoint as well, so god knows what traffic is being spouted through your internet connection.

I've been using VyprVPN for years and can't knock the service, but they are on the iPlayer blacklist now which limits it's usefulness for me.

Anyone recommend a service that definitely isn't on the iplayer block list?

Associate
I'd vote on PureVPN if you had a vote in the OP......

Used PIA for 12 months, didn't have any issues other than having to reinstall it once as it just didn't want to play, maybe a Windows driver conflict.

Moved to PureVPN last month when PIA subscription expired on a 2 year subscription and it is slightly better IMO as it is so much more user friendly and the list of servers is huge.

That said PIA is perfectly fine (though I do recall they had some form of hack in November I think where your IP was visible on disconnect - maybe someone else reading here can elaborate, I didn't read into bar a few web page headlines) but I'm more than happy with PureVPN now, especially for the price.

Last edited:
Associate
I use purevpn granted its the first one I've used but had no trouble with it so far.

Stacksocial do a lifetime account with 5 devices for £47 which I couldn't pass on.

https://stacksocial.com/sales/lifetime-of-purevpn

As for protocols purevpn offer

PPTP, TCP, UDP, L2TP, SSTP, IKEV

Just purchased this, it's a 5 yer sub, then you need to email stacksocial to renew for free. Easy enough.

:)

Soldato
Been using PIA for a while now and seems alright. Plenty of servers and good speeds, software is a bit buggy but then it offers features like DNS Leak Protection and Internet Kill Switch on disconnect which seem to be tricky to find on others.

Man of Honour
I don't understand what is happening. I thought virgin was traffic shapping, but would be unable to do it on a vpn, as they don't know what the packets contain?
yet even on ZenMate I get this

yet cant watch youtube, Netflix etc unless its at like 360p which is un watchable.

any clues, or help?
unfortunately cant change provider, all inclusive house share.

also Zenmate breaks Netflix app, does anyone else's vpn not break the windows 10 Netflix app, its ui is a million times better than web browser?

Associate
I've been using PIA for a couple of years now, and I've got no complaints with it. It's simple to use, and I've never experienced any throughput issues.

Soldato
If you are in this thread I'd imagine you know more than enough about VPN's wheras I'm very much a beginner and so drawing on this huge dearth of knowledge :D, can someone explain a few basic points for me?
  1. Assuming I go for a paid VPN (I'm leaning towards PIA at the moment for no other reason than it seems to be well regarded!) - how does one go about "using" it? I mean is it somehow installed onto my router so that all connected device traffic is funneled through it or is it specific to the device and has to be "enabled" by each one?
  2. I have a NAS with build-in torrent software - if it is device-specific, how would one go about making sure any traffic goes through the VPN?
  3. What sort of affect will using a VPN have on my general internet speed?
  4. I know you can choose which country your IP address "looks" like it is in - are there any benefits to choosing one far away if this impacts upon your speed? I mean is there any reason you wouldn't choose the UK still?

Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm just wanting to get a decent understanding before jumping in!

Thanks...

Last edited:
Soldato
1. You get an account with connection details. You can usually connect to the VPN using any device that supports the connection type e.g. Windows software, router software, iPad etc.

2. If your router can manage it, through that as it will send all traffic over the VPN, if not then your NAS will need to be able to connect to a VPN too.

3. Latencies will be higher and speeds will be a little lower. Ultimately how much depends on the VPN supplier.

4. One common use is to view content only normally available in a particular country.

Soldato
3. Latencies will be higher and speeds will be a little lower. Ultimately how much depends on the VPN supplier.

I do not know why.................

..........but using a VPN and a speed checker, my TalkTalk up to 12MBs account which normally is 8-9MBs down and 1-1.2MBs up shows as 25-30MBs down and 0.75MBs up.

I have worked out that the up speed is reduced by the encryption of the data, but not why the apparent boost in download speed occurs.

Man of Honour
Just signed upto ipvanish for a month, it's more expensive than most. But it sounds good.
But it has proper w10 support, which seems to be a bit hit and miss with others.

Netflix app now works, unlike on last VPN, have to see if it solves the video issue which I still don't understand.

How can I get over 30mbps yet still struggle to play video, even on other Vpns.

Associate
I use VPNUnlimitedAPP, it's been working pretty sweet.

For 5 a month, you get 5 devices on a multitude of different servers. There's decent apps for all devices too. Some servers support torrents if you need that.

Look around, and you'll find a lifetime deal for about 35 I think. I don't think anywhere will beat that.

Soldato
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm looking into getting a VPN and have been doing a bit of reading.

The link in this post still seems to be valid - a lifetime subscription to PureVPN for $99 or there is a 2 year subscription to PIA for $59.95!

I use purevpn granted its the first one I've used but had no trouble with it so far.

Stacksocial do a lifetime account with 5 devices for £47 which I couldn't pass on.

https://stacksocial.com/sales/lifetime-of-purevpn

As for protocols purevpn offer

PPTP, TCP, UDP, L2TP, SSTP, IKEV

Has anyone used Stacksocial and/or have any opinions on either of these 2 options?

Soldato
i had a short list of 3 vpns i was looking act.

privatoria
trust.zone
nordvpn

I settled for nordvpn, seems more professional and established and not expensive. got year for $36 dollar special offer.

I was looking at airvpn, like their ethos and the fact they are run by activities etc. but the pricing is expensive for what you get and what other compeition offer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom