Soldato
Hi yes very vague sorry. It's mainly on android that I have the problems. I have the lifetime subscription, so I don't have every location available. But if it happens I try the other locations I have.

No it's random, and I'm using 3 different different locations and internet connections (home, work and my folks).

I'm using the latest app.

Im a basic VPN user and use the app only.

I hope this helps explain better.

Associate
Have also been using ExpressVPN for the past year and never had any issues with them.

Recently changed to airVPN via OpenVPN and again no problems so far apart from the constant nag for human verification on a few sites.

Soldato
Have also been using ExpressVPN for the past year and never had any issues with them.

Recently changed to airVPN via OpenVPN and again no problems so far apart from the constant nag for human verification on a few sites.

Yeah that nag has been an issue for me of late. But for me its biggest issue was when using Google. I now use Startpage for my search engine and it no longer happens.

Soldato
What is the best (ease of use/features/price) VPN I can use?

Have had a quick search, but there are literally thousands of them out there. Are they all the same?

Ideally I want one which will run network-wide from. If this isn't possible, my PC is fine.

I do have a P-Pi in my drawer, it's currently got Pi-Hole installed on it, will be using it again soon. Will this factor in my choice?

Soldato
The definition of best depends on what is most important to you. The best VPN for anonymity and privacy is different to the one who provides the fastest and most stable connection potentially. Which country you wish to exit from has a bearing and all manner of other things. You list ease of use/features/price. Is that the order of preference? So something really simple but expensive is OK for you? Perhaps order what is important to you and better recommendations will come your way

You mention network wide. Are you sure you know all of the implications of that? Use a network wide VPN and that's the end of Netflix working for you for instance. Or if you choose to exit via the USA then no more iPlayer at home.

Assuming you are comfortable with what a network wide VPN means then for the widest set of options among providers you are going to need a physical or virtual device that can sit between your network and the internet and supports acting as a VPN client. A Pi won't cut it so has no bearing on your choice of VPN provider. A consumer router with the capability will be OK if your internet is not that fast otherwise you're going to need something designed for the job.

Give us some more info and we'll see what suits your needs.

Soldato
Since posting this, I have been doing lots of reading and watching a lot of vids.

I originally wanted network wide, but this looks to be the mot expensive, and probably not what I actually need. - I've scrapped that idea.

My main use is torrenting, so a single user account on a single device will be OK. I'm swaying towards NordVPN at the moment

Soldato
Then your research has served you well. Not that I have personal experience with them (and I have a very different need to you) but everything I've read seems fairly positive.

Soldato
A word of advice, any VPN set-up that in the event the tunnel dropping will allow traffic over an insecure connection is basically useless. Some torrent clients will allow you to bind to a specific interface, 3rd party apps will drop the connection ifvthe VPN fails, some companies offer client software that claims to offer similar functionality, what you choose is up to you.

maj

maj

Soldato
I currently use PIA and even though I set my VPN to be London (I always pick nearest to my actual location) when I browse to iPlayer I get blocked. Do other VPN providers have this? I can just turn my VPN off and access it like normal but seems BBC might be blocking VPNs.

maj

maj

Soldato
I'm sure they are. They'll have no idea that you are actually physically located in the UK and will presumably assume that you aren't.

BBC news etc is fine. It just seems to be iPlayer which presumably is due to needing a TV licence. Whole point of a VPN is to mask your location so I'd of thought a UK IP address on a VPN would still work but seems not. Not the end of the world was just interested in how others VPNs handle iPlayer for when I come to renew my subscription or not.

Back
Top Bottom