*** VR Deals Thread ***

Associate
I won’t post a link as I think it may break rules, but, you can get a Lenovo Explore and a Dell Visor (WMR, works with SteamVR titles, even if the games discription says otherwise) on eBay for around £200.
Fantastic for the price, if I didn’t have a Rift I would be all over these at that price

Thanks Donohue. If I go WMR it'll probably be Samsung Odyssey. Found a best price of $480 so far, which is roughly £370 using bigapplebuddy (not sure how protected i'd be though and warranty implication...). I want to maximise resolution but think pimax will work out too expensive for me.

I have my PSVR to keep me busy for now but sim racing on PC is my main interest. .

Soldato
Robinson the Journey is beautiful, but very slow paced. I found some of the touch controls awkward too. However it's well worth £5.99, and the visuals and atmosphere are well worth experiencing.
Thanks I bought that and primordian (and the last bits of assetto Corsa dlc and then castlevania trimogy for flat screen
I decided to pass on fallout 4 vr and the last 2 ETS2 dlcs ffor now :)

I have plenty to go at.

Oh and don't forget elite dangerous on sale from frontier store and steam. £8 for base game, £16 for the full pack.

It is well worth getting the full pack however I think it is a safe bet the horizons dlc will be given out free and the base game deprecated sometime next year if you are feeling tight

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks I bought <Robinson> and primordian

Me too. Can't get Robinson the journey to look right. It's like the resolution is 640x480 or something. Awful. The controls are really bad too. Very unintuitive. But if, as other people have said, it's an experience worth sticking around for maybe I will.

Primordian looks great but is a bit too hacky slashy at the moment. Not sure if it's because I haven't got the skills down correctly but as everyone jumps at me I just panic and wave my virtual swords around like a loon.

Soldato
Im looking to get vr. What is a good budget hardware to go with ?

I think for the vast majority the rift is the best full package on the market right now.

It has the best motion controls, ergonomically is better than the vive without the £100 upgrade, is £100 cheaper and, comes with great free games (though anyone can nick Lucky's tale from the store if they want for free but robo recall and dead and buried are ace).
The rift software is better however and games run better esp on lower end hardware with asynchronous spacewarp (about to get a big upgrade)

It's not a slam dunk
Arguably lighthouse tracking of the vive edges rifts constellation and you may feel the need to buy a 3rd sensor if you get a rift and this may mean you need an extra usb 3.0 card (some do some don't with 3 sensors)

Image quality it's a tie, rift has less screen door effects and better colours, vive has slightly better FOV and is a little brighter.

TLDR as I said for most the rift is the best bet if on a budget imo. IF you can wait 6 weeks or so there should be a sale which historically gives either £50 off or £50 store credit. Some are even predicting a £100 cut in rrp

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes for years I had a vanilla 980 and it was fine. Most games will even run of full detail but some will need dropping (mostly 2d games with vr options like pCARS2 and elite).
I only got a 1080ti 3 weeks ago and if I am honest it's not *that* much better.

Associate
Im looking to get vr. What is a good budget hardware to go with ?
Tough one, there’s no clear cut ‘winner’.
A have an Oculus Rift, I tried the Rift and Vive and I bought the Rift purely because of the Oculus Touch controllers, they are miles ahead of the Vive Wands. But, the Vive is getting there own ‘knuckle’ controlers That are supposed to be better than the Rifts controllers, the Vive also has an official wireless, that’s a huge deal IMO, because as amazing VR is, the cable is bothersome. Then there’s a matter of ‘out of the tracking’, the Vive is the better than the Rift, the has everything you need to get started out of the gate, you set up the two light house sensors and away you go with 360 room scale tracking, the Oculus Rift however has issues, you get two sensors in the box, which is great for VR, but not 360 scale tracking, the cables arnt long enough, you need to buy 1 (or 2, depending on your room) USB extender, but the thing is the Oculus Rift, and it’s sensors are VERY picky about USB bandwidth, some flat out refuse to work (there’s lots of information on this on Reddit) then there’s the issue with the USB’s themselves, most older motherboards will not work with the Rift or sensors, meaning that you need to buy a PCIE USB adapter card (Inatech 4 port works btw)
And depending on your play area size, you may have issues with only 2 oculus sensors, buying a 3rd dramatically inproved my tracking and experience.
Also the WMR can’t be ignored, they regularly sell for about £200 on ebay and they are literally plug and play, there’s no sensors to put up, all the tracking is built into the headsets, they don’t track as well as the Vive or Rift, but are excellent value.
The Vive does not have inbuilt audio meaning you have to wear your headset or buy there own addon, adding to weight on your head, while the Rifts in built audio and mic is excellent.
The Rifts user experience is fantastic and beats SteamVR hands down, also Oculus fund there own titles, and these games are amongst the best VR games around, and can only be bought on Oculus own store, there are however work around to get these running on WMR and Vive headsets.

There are caveats to owning any headset any headset, I still think the Rift is better overall package, but the it’s a difficult choice.
Imo,
•WMR for budget
•Rift overall
•Vive for the the deeper pockets and the addon controllers and wireless adapter

Last edited:
Associate
Me too. Can't get Robinson the journey to look right. It's like the resolution is 640x480 or something. Awful. The controls are really bad too. Very unintuitive. But if, as other people have said, it's an experience worth sticking around for maybe I will.

If you press and hold the one of the face buttons on the left controller then an image showing the game controls pops up. Until I saw this I was having a hard time understanding the control logic

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone got Pixel Ripped 1989?
Given you're supposed to be holding a portable game console
How does this play using an untracked Xbox 360 controller? Or are the touch controllers better?

Last edited:
Soldato
Do
Thanks Donohue. If I go WMR it'll probably be Samsung Odyssey. Found a best price of $480 so far, which is roughly £370 using bigapplebuddy (not sure how protected i'd be though and warranty implication...). I want to maximise resolution but think pimax will work out too expensive for me.

I have my PSVR to keep me busy for now but sim racing on PC is my main interest. .
Do you have to pay import tax as well?

Associate
Do
Do you have to pay import tax as well?

From memory, everything was included as part of the direct quote I received.

Edit: this was for the original version of the odyssey. I had to provide link to Microsoft store where it was on sale in US for about $350.

I had a quick check just now for Odyssey + and based on sale price of $499.99 it comes to $672 including shipping and taxes (£510 approx).

Last edited:
Soldato
How does Viveport work?

Do you essentially get to play the 5 games you've picked for that month, and after the end of the month you lose access to them (and if your subscription continues then pick 5 more?)

Back
Top Bottom