Vr is it a fad?

Soldato
I am old enough to remember the vr fad in the 90's, I know this time we have some actual hardware, but is it a fad like 3d displays?

I mean look at 3d displays now, where have they gone?

Man of Honour
I think we will look back on it as a fad. Compared to the old vr stuff its impressive but its not the massive step forward be all end all people make it out to be.

Yeah there needs to be a break through in convenience and control input before it will truly take off.

I think the current kind of systems will achieve some success in the business world for visualisation, etc.

Caporegime
People with it will say yes, those without will say no.

I don’t have it, I don’t think it’s the future, I think AR will be bigger and holo stuff could be big.

Soldato
Foveated rendering via eye tracking should help to bring down the cost of SoC HMDs and allow true mobile inside out tracking and then maybe more mass market appeal will quickly follow. I think the eye tracking stuff is getting more dev at the mo as it can be used in all sorts of different fields.

Soldato
Given how many companies are adopting VR kit for things other than playing computer games, I'd say it's a bit more than a fad.
We ourselves have VR kit operating with our site view drones, our pipe cameras and in some of our training courses.

Soldato
I think it will be a fad until specially designed games can come along. At the moment most of the games are really tech demo's or games adapted from previously released games.

The only game I've seen that comes close as being unique is that VR Chat game that I've noticed some of the youtubers and streamers playing recently.

I think for VR games the designers need to think of VR as a new system rather than an addon.

Man of Honour
I think it will be a fad until specially designed games can come along. At the moment most of the games are really tech demo's or games adapted from previously released games.

The only game I've seen that comes close as being unique is that VR Chat game that I've noticed some of the youtubers and streamers playing recently.

I think for VR games the designers need to think of VR as a new system rather than an addon.

For that to happen you need both convenience and a next generation control input system :s

Soldato
The nature of human sight poses a difficult problem. The centre field of vision has very high definition but relatively low refresh at 24Hz the peripheral view has very high rates of refresh and is very motion sensitive but low definition. The eye can move in the socket so eye tracking is a difficult task but essential to be able to resolve the two competing requirements of centre field and peripheral vision. At present VR headsets can't track the eye so large areas need to be highly rendered but that can't accommodate the speed of response the periphery is used to so getting immersion is a non-trivial task. They will undoubtedly crack it, but seems a bit niche at the moment.

Soldato
In think there's a more basic issue to be addressed than complicated eye tracking and accounting for peripheral vision.

I've borrowed my brothers psvr and the thing that gets me most is the fact that there's currently no way to replicate natural movement.

In Batman you look where you want to go and press a button. It's like olden days first person rpg's where you were moving through a grid and it feels like a series of rooms. Really breaks the immersion.

In Farpoint you use the stick on the gun but movement follows the way the gun is pointing rather than where you're looking. Maybe there's a way to change that but I haven't really went through the options looking for it. You're on foot in the game and I generally look in the direction I'm walking.

Don't get me wrong there is a wow factor and games like Superhot VR are a ton of fun. Looking around corners and over the edge of stairs in resident evil for zombies still brings a smile to my face.

Maybe we just need to wait for an innovative idea to define the best use of the tech.

Don't think it's a fad though but it needs work if it's going to become mainstream.

Caporegime
It’s pretty amazing when the software is good. My only experience of VR is in Japan, driving Mario Kart in VR is insane, especially when you are actually sitting in a pedal and wheel set up that the chair vibrates. It is ridiculous.

The problem is the amount of gear to get you there.

Back
Top Bottom