VR Questions

Soldato
So to owners of VR. How much work is it to own? What i mean by that, is all the cables, setting up the sensors. assuming there's going to be a bunch of cables that need plugging in every time you decide to go VR. (3 USB 3.0s if i'm not mistaken + whatever sensors are needed) Do you leave it as a permanent fixture ? or do you box everything away after each use? I'm a bit of a tidy freak, with my desk.. All cables nicely hidden, and none can be seen outside the 'essentials'. Had to take self medicated therapy to go back to a 'wired' gaming mouse (after buying a G-SYNC monitor) as it was the only way to get the mouse 1000hz smoothness needed to really appreciate g-sync. I'm fine with it now, but the braided cable does catch and collect dust, which is a bit annoying !

I think the thought of all the cables is freaking me out a little bit.

Also, what does it do in terms of connectivity ? just act as a extended desktop ? can people outside of the headset see on your screen what you're looking at ? or is it completely a single person experience. I'm looking at this as perhaps fun for the family... and taking it in turns to play.

Or do i have to unplug turn off or disable my g-sync when i play ? as it'll only use precious GPU resources ?

I know these may seem like dumb questions to those who own, but i'm such a VR noob, as i only saw it for the first time a couple of days ago, and will probably be buying one before the week is out !!

Soldato
Depends on where you get the Rift of the Vive. They work differently.

The Vive uses lighthouses, they just need power, and the best position for them is opposite corners of the room where you are planning to use VR. There would have to be a electric socket nearby to plug them into. The headset has one cable which attaches back to a link box. The link box needs power too, and it connects to a USB 3.0 and an HDMI port on the computer.

The Rift needs 3 USB 3.0 ports free. There is one cable from each sensor and two cables from the headset, one HDMI and one USB 3.0.

You don't need to unplug either headset at all. Everything that I have tried displays on both headset and monitor apart from the Oculus home.

If cables freak you out, then you aren't going to be happy with either the Rift or the Vive. There is no way to hide the cable that goes into the headset.

Soldato
Cables are an issue and are best left plugged in, however (as Melmac says) the Vive comes with a "link box" that extends around the front of your computer allowing you to easily plugin/unplug the device if you can't find a sensible way to store it.

Your monitor can stay on and games duplicate the image from the headset to your monitor. It's very much part of the fun being able to watch someone play :)

Associate
also remember Vive has lots of 3rd party support, and they already have made a wireless device. I'm sure oculus are following suit

Back
Top Bottom