VR upgrades for DCS

Associate
OP
Righto so the reverb arrived this morning :)

Only took 4 different USB ports till it picked up (motherboard USB A via adaptor) and connected all in nicely, fortunately because I was coming directly from the lenovo explorer I already had all of WMR set up barring the controllers so no other issues almost simply plug and play.

Just spent 30 mins or so testing it out and this is where I've gotten to so far....

Steam had set the global resolution to 32% by default whereas it had set the lenovo to 150%, I think this is just steam basing it off the hardware configuration.

Pushed the global resolution up to 70% and booted up HL:A, set the app specific render to 100% and it's running 8-10ms frametimes and it's buttery smooth, testing both high and ultra fidelity didn't massively affect the frametimes, I think that the dynamic resolution thing they have going on is playing a part in that though. Either way, it looks great and is smooth, clarity is better than the lenovo particularly at distance but up close looks similar - don't forget that I was running the lenovo at 300% supersampling and I was always happy with the performance in HL:A though.

Jumped into DCS, left the global at 70% and set app specific to 70% and loaded up the A10C instant action that I've been using as a performance testing reference, all other settings were as per what I was using with the lenovo which would get around 40-45 fps fairly consistently. Initially, the clarity is better with far less aliasing visible in the cockpit, yes I could wind it up and get better but it's already better than the lenovo was when running shedloads of supersampling; the picture is much crisper. Fps is running from 45-60 which is absolutely fine.

So my theory was largely correct, it's improved clarity due to native resolution, it's improved performance by not smashing SS to try to achieve clarity with the lower resolution of the lenovo and it's sharper all round because it's not a smudging with the SS antialiasing. It's a little heavier than the lenovo but still exceptionally comfortable, the sweet spot is much larger so I don't have issues with my right eye going out of focus*, the audio is fantastic from what I've experienced so far and makes a nice change from the jabra 65ts I was using previously.

All in all I'm very pleased and achieved what I've set out to do which was to improve the clarity first and foremost in DCS, I could not have done that with a GPU upgrade as you can't really brute force more detail into the lenovo screens. The 1070 appears to hold up quite nicely with the slightly lower res, I dare say there will be times when it starts to struggle but for a card that I paid 200 quid for three years ago I'm very happy with it :)

*highsided a motorbike 15 years ago and faceplanted the floor, since then it doesn't focus quite as well as the left so the small sweet spot of the lenovo meant I had to readjust by a couple of mm every so often, the reverb is much more stable with the full strap which helps.

Associate
OP
Lobby your MP for financial regulation on Crypto that should free up the GPU market :)

I present to you, our local MP....

1509660828-michael-fabricant-tory-mp-first-dates.jpg

Associate
That’s great news. And you can now look forward to much greater visuals once GPUs can be bought for RRP again.
My assumption was if not drawing stuff at the native resolution would be similar to displaying on a 2D monitor at a non native resolution…never looks as clear/detailed.

Associate
OP
I know what you mean, like running 1080p @ 1024.
Well certainly there doesn't appear to be significant clarity lost by downsampling, just tested DCS at 100% global and 100% per app and it's still pulling 40-45 fps (20-25ms ish) but it's not quite a smooth as 70% so I'll be keeping DCS wound down for now.
GPU didn't top 64°C and it's 26°C ambient in here (computer in a small walk in cupboard and it's been on all day) so thermals aren't too bad :)

Soldato
Thanks for the write up, glad it's working out for you. I have a 1070 in my rig at work, id dismissed the idea of ever taking in the G2 to show my colleagues through fear of it not holding up. I think i'll consider doing it next time we're having a slow few days.

Look forward to the day you can crank it up to 100% in steamvr. Between doing that and the audio is why i can't say i'm in the market to jump ship anytime soon, only FOV interests me now, certainly for flight games.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Give it a go, may work out ok. I will try clocking mine back to default and see what difference it makes speed wise.

The 1070 is certified for half res and that is still a pretty good VR experience. At native res it absolutely blows the Lenovo out of the water which is to be expected. To get the Lenovo even close quality wise it needs the supersampling thrown at it which gives a somewhat blurry/muddy result.

Associate
OP
A little more testing last night, this time in elite, global set to 100% per app set to 70% most settings on high. Frametimes in open space down to 8ms, in high rez combat amongst the asteroids it sat around 12ms (this is with ultra environments on because it's purdy). Stations as always are much slower running all the way up to 25ms but still perfectly smooth and look glorious :)

Thanks to @kevman and @lokiss for the feedback I needed to make the jump :D

Back
Top Bottom