VW Polo Was 'Broken' into last night

Don
So you captured the 'lock' code that was sent to the car the first time the driver tried to lock it. How do you turn this into an 'unlock' code?
If i press the lock button when my car is already locked, it doesnt unlock.

If they blocked/captured the "lock" code, they don't need an unlock code as the car would presumably still be unlocked :)

Associate
So you captured the 'lock' code that was sent to the car the first time the driver tried to lock it. How do you turn this into an 'unlock' code?
If i press the lock button when my car is already locked, it doesnt unlock.

True enough. They'd have to capture a valid unlock then.

Sounds like a lot of effort to steal some mints, a blanket and a Will Young CD... :o

I doubt this was a targetted attack specifically for that kinda haul :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
There are a couple of other methods of getting into cars electronically that have been found in the wild. One is to jam the remote keyfob, which is simpler than capturing and duplicating key codes. People press the button, but cars don't lock. This has been done in car parks and the like, so thieves can rifle through several cars at once. Many people obviously walk away from their cars, use the keyfob lock and don't bother to check if it locks.

The other method that is used with cars on the drive and proximity keys, is to simply use a signal booster so the car thinks the key is in range, when it's inside the house. In fact, if you keep your proximity keys near your front door, and your car is close by on the drive, the car may well be open to anyone who tries the door as the car will see the key as being within range.

Associate
The other method that is used with cars on the drive and proximity keys, is to simply use a signal booster so the car thinks the key is in range, when it's inside the house. In fact, if you keep your proximity keys near your front door, and your car is close by on the drive, the car may well be open to anyone who tries the door as the car will see the key as being within range.

I now see a business opportunity of selling faraday cages to keep your car key in when you're in the house :)

Caporegime
Nah, that report is a misnomer, "keyless" in that regard means a remote central locking fob, hence the "intercepting signals when drivers PRESS THEIR FOBS".

Been doing the rounds for ages, lots of people getting warned off "advanced key" on the Audi forums because people don't read the article properly.

Soldato
Nah, that report is a misnomer, "keyless" in that regard means a remote central locking fob, hence the "intercepting signals when drivers PRESS THEIR FOBS".

Been doing the rounds for ages, lots of people getting warned off "advanced key" on the Audi forums because people don't read the article properly.
Yes with my focus ST keyless entry you just touch the door handle with your finger or thumb to lock & unlock it....
And I can tell when it locks & unlocks by the wing mirrors folding in/out

Last edited:
Soldato
Probably RF jammer. Very common now especially in supermarket car parks. Always ensure your car is locked by trying the door handle before leaving it. Favoured by Eastern Europeans.

Back
Top Bottom