Waking Up In The Morning

Associate
I set 4 alarms for myself in the morning 10 minutes spaced apart from each other. I've only recently starting having this problem waking up. I've tried going to bed early and varying the amount of sleep I get but that doesn't seem to have worked. I've tried changing my bed, varying temperature of the room etc. to no avail.

I've even tried things like Nytol but find that doesn't really help me much and just leaves me a bit fuzzy and a dull headache the next morning. I watched a programme about sleep apnea recently, which is basically your sleep gets interrupted but you might not be aware so you may think you are asleep all night but keep getting pulled out of deep sleep.

It might be worth checking with a doctor to see if there is a medical reason.

Soldato
Room temp is a big difference i find, i can get out of bed very easy if my rooms warm in the mornings.

Ironic really as i cant get to sleep unless its cold.

My record is my unconcious alter ego once turned off a phone alarm, then set a brand new alarm for one hour later, all on a touchscreen phone without waking up. I have to move my alarm clocks and change volume/ringtone on a regular basis to stop him learning where they are.

Soldato
If you need to wake up at 7.30 say, you'd be better off with a 7.25, 7.30, 7.35 alarm sequence that you know you have to wake up to. If you have snooze-able early alarms, you'll get less proper sleep, feel more tired and run the risk of losing count of how many snoozes you've done.

Soldato
You need a proper blitz of alarms, thats what works for me. I have one every 10 minutes from 6 to 8am and I get up at 7am every day even though I hate it every time.

Soldato
I have my alarm go off as radio 2. I find I start listening to what they say and that wakes me up. But I've never had issues getting up.

Associate
I'm terrible at waking up.

My tips are:
* When you do go to sleep make sure your not dehydrated.
* don't eat or drink too late in the evening.
* don't watch TV or use your computer for an 1 hour before bed.
* relax before you sleep, maybe some music?
* mentally accept that all your problems are now tomorrow's problems.
* use ear plugs or Bose headset if your in a loud areas.
* try to sleep with something positive in mind.

If you can do that, and sleep early enough, you'll be fine

Soldato
I have my alarm go off as radio 2. I find I start listening to what they say and that wakes me up. But I've never had issues getting up.

I used to do that but found I'd stay in bed in a half asleep sort of state listening to it.

I'm useless at getting up for work, trying the wake up sunset light thing at the min which does really wake you up in a nice gentle way but I still stay in bed.

Thing is if I really need to be up or I'm doing something interesting in the morning then I'll wake up no problem.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the tips!

The thing is I don't even know I am waking up and killing alarm and to be honest this is only happened once or twice - most times its just sat with the "missed X number of alarms" - I even have it set to an auto repeat type thing and even then I'm dead to the world through it.

When I was at Docs for my annual health check I mentioned it and they had tests done for hormones and also Thyroid but everything came back fine.

In terms of what time I go to bed it can vary, just like what time I get to sleep.

Last night for example I was in bed for 22:00 and I think I fell asleep very quickly - don't remember not, yet this morning I slept through 10 alarms (7 next to bed) and 3 from normal alarm clock on other side of room - I opened my eyes and seen it was light and jumped out of bed like a spring!

I will have a look at the things suggested and see if anything works but I think I have covered the obvious myself -

*I have alarms further away from my reach/bed
*I don't actually drink tea or coffee and haven't drank Diet Coke etc at home/outwith one can at work for years
*I don't remember waking up and snoozing so I am not falling into that trap on purpose
*I don't have TV in room and hotel TV tends to be boring
*Games/Computers are all at home and in anycase gaming has became a weekend thing now due to adult life getting boring!

I also tried that Nytol type stuff when I went through a phase of being awake all night (loosing job etc) but that just made my pee like Shrek Urine!

Anyway, will see how I get on.

Soldato
i use my kindle fire alarm but with an unlock code .tbh i hate waking up and setting off to work without a coming round time so it goes off at 4.20 am get up and watch some old come dine with me or whatever then set of to launceston at 5.15 am

Soldato
Could try a natural light alarm clock, to try and rely more on light waking you, rather than sound? Set your alarm time and about 30 minutes before, the light starts getting brighter, to simulate natural daylight. I have one and it works quite well.

The nice thing is, you don't get 'shocked' awake by a loud noise - it sounds like this might be happening to you with your alarms and you're just rolling over and snoozing them.

Give it a go and see if it helps - perhaps set your phone alarm anyway as a backup as well.

Back
Top Bottom