Wall mounted tv unit & slat wall

Soldato
Hi all,

I would like wall mount a tv unit and also wall mount my tv (65" oled) . Unlike the popular subreddit my tv is "too low" and I have a kid coming March and think it's an accident waiting to happen for a toddler. Any wall mount I use will likely be on a cantilevered bracket so will be further away from the wall.

There are a couple constricting parts. Behind the tv I have: power, speaker cable connections (to connect rear speakers) and ethernet. I will also be putting my 12kg denon AV amplifier and Xbox, switch, games etc in it

Links
Instagram example https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzhW...eb_button_share_sheet&igshid=ODdmZWVhMTFiMw==

Unit https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/besta-...-kallviken-concrete-effect-s19330661/#content

Questions:
Do people think the 4 fixings to wall for the tv unit ok? I saw for the ikea besta had a rail option but it appears for the tv mount its just 4 fixings
I was going to buy corefix fixings as its a dot and dabbed wall but 4 points seems too few! I do tend to over engineer things tho

Are there better options for these than ikea? Because I'm fitting an amp I need this to be quite deep and ikea seems to be better than others for this (38cm so JUST fits). Wayfair had a load but I found the quality there very poor. Ikea can look a bit naff but at least is solid if you get me.

Has anyone used any of the slat wall companies /know of any which use "real wood" rather than mdf/veneer ?

One of the options instead of buying the doors was to make slat wall doors out the same stuff. I was thinking a 9mm ply or mdf backing the slat wall. Problem with veneer for the slat is that if I use it for the doors then it will show the cut edge at the top. I suppose I can have the finished edge at top and cut edge at bottom which will never be seen

I was going to cut a channel behind the unit to feed power /hdmi /ethernet direct to telly. Reckon I can get away with a couple multi tooled holes into the dabbed wall and feed it up with wires as long as I avoid adhesive?

Pictures of current - current unit is avf burghley 1250

xzWgNFr.jpeg

Power cables behind
K4vb9Cw.jpeg

Picture of overall room to give idea
nnlw1Zv.jpeg

pOuuNnd.jpeg

ciFGtd1.jpeg

Some may say it's currently perfect height as it is...
m1XuEaT.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I see that there are these for drilling hinges, so maybe my custom madedoors would be pretty easy? Just cutting some mdf or ply to size then glueing some slat wall panels to it?

Example jig - any examples welcome.

I guess I could also just drill it (with a forstner bit) and/or router? I'm not very good /experienced with my trim router though

Edit:
Another cheaper example.

Last edited:
Soldato
Core fix is 20kg per fixing so in theory, 4 should hold up a ‘within spec’ adult male.

I use core fix to hang my kitchen cabinets and they only have 4 per unit (I think a couple may only have 3 due to cables…). They are not going anywhere, they are also attached together so the load is also spread across the run.

I would use more than 4 on a cantilevered TV though. I’d use at least 6, more likely 8-10 if possible. The forces on these things are huge when they are extended out with a big TV on them.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think your TV is too low, perfect I would say. It looks to be head height when you're chilling on the sofa.

Plus it's a nice spot for it in that alcove part of the wall. Not very exposed and unlikely to get knocked by a passer by.

If wall mounting it are you now going to make the TV and cabinet central on that wall, or still have it skewed over to the left side? It would look better all centralised I think.

Soldato
OP
I don't think your TV is too low, perfect I would say. It looks to be head height when you're chilling on the sofa.

Plus it's a nice spot for it in that alcove part of the wall. Not very exposed and unlikely to get knocked by a passer by.

If wall mounting it are you now going to make the TV and cabinet central on that wall, or still have it skewed over to the left side? It would look better all centralised I think.

Its a good height currently but would be good to wall mount it. Currently it's about 1370mm to the top of it and because it's quite far "forward" on the unit it would be better recessed when people /toddlers around...

I would be mounting it in a similar position to current. It's overall centre of the expanded room and allows a good equal split to the speakers.

Soldato
The one thing I'd say is, with the unit you are proposing, you are potentially introducing something more dangerous than what you have now (i.e. low down sharp hard corners).

I'd definitely recommend a cantilever wall mount just to stop the TV being susceptible to being pulled over.

My cantilever gets closer to the wall than the regular stand.

Last edited:
Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
OP
Your speakers are more at risk from a toddler. Is your glazing up to scratch?

Yeah I'm sure the speakers are next at risk. The fronts I can put covers on same as rears... I could also fill the rear stands with kiln dried sand.

The glazing is fine/impact rated....

Used the Ikea floating cabinets for our chimney breast
Thanks for link, looks good

existing cabinet looks fine ... but you are replacing with besta ?

even if cantilevered 4 should be good - back of a postit 30Kg tv @ 50cm out = 147N
less than 178N shear force they quote for 4 https://www.hpponline.co.uk/DocumentHandler/1403182/corefix-installation-and-datasheet.pdf

cantilever is to move it vertically then ?

Yes I would be replacing with besta

Thanks looks like it should be sound i think the adverts say 4 fixings =100kg and to be honest there will be a factor of safety on that as indicated in your datasheet.

The one thing I'd say is, with the unit you are proposing, you are potentially introducing something more dangerous than what you have now (i.e. low down sharp hard corners).

I'd definitely recommend a cantilever wall mount just to stop the TV being susceptible to being pulled over.

My cantilever gets closer to the wall than the regular stand.
Aye i think you're right. I could put pipe lagging around it for an interim period haha, it's not a main walkway area /decent sized room at least.

Soldato
Thanks looks like it should be sound i think the adverts say 4 fixings =100kg and to be honest there will be a factor of safety on that as indicated in your datasheet.
The reason I suggested more is because they'll not be rated for a little kid swinging off the bottom of it. It's not just the weight, its all the inertia they'll also bring.

Soldato
I only have a small 40" TV on a HiFi cabinet and it came with a restraining strap -clip to back of TV and put a eye bolt in wall behind.

Just a thought.

I do envey you being young with good ears and a decent HiFi system. Mine has all gone including my hearing. Music and voices sound tinny :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
Which Besta unit are you planning on? We have the Besta Burs and it's pretty damn heavy to wall mount.
Just a standard besta unit with link at too of thread
Proposed

Yours looks good (link below) but I imagine is a fair bit heavier due to drawers

Soldato
Just a standard besta unit with link at too of thread
Proposed

Yours looks good (link below) but I imagine is a fair bit heavier due to drawers
Yes looking at the two I think you're right, drawers will add a fair bit of weight.

Soldato
Does the besta provide adequate ventilation on the Amp remembering earlier discussion on yamahas.
might want to get colour to avoid reflections off of tv, too, or use felt.

veneered ply could be nice ?

if you wanted to cut a curve (you'd have to create a jig I guess), veneered plywood, would be strong, span well, and present a nice edge
eg . https://www.atlantictimber.co.uk/venply68x4.html ~£100, with mid_gen's ends, say.

Soldato
I'd personally be inflling that recess with a false wall that sits flush with the edge of the patio doors. Can then recess the tv into the wall, integrate the speakers, Besta cupboard unit for AV equipment.

It'll also have the benefit of concealing the goalpost pillar to the left of the TV.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'd personally be inflling that recess with a false wall that sits flush with the edge of the patio doors. Can then recess the tv into the wall, integrate the speakers, Besta cupboard unit for AV equipment.
Yeah I know "media walls" etc are on trend at the moment but to be honest all you would be doing is reducing the overall size of the room which isn't what I want to do

Back
Top Bottom