Wannabe python programmer

yes python can be used online, same as perl or ruby.

Lots of guides out there and is heavily used with Drupal if I remember correctly, just a case of googling what you want!

Finally got round to starting some work again today.

Thanks to Rich I now have access to a GUI , a problem that compfounded me both the first and this time I've tried Python.

Cheers Rich Your a star.

I'm making a espionage report DB for a RTS game with a copy/paste input.

I'll Maybe blog it on the ARC site or at least post the code for us to discuss when it's done.

How long has it been going? It says it can already started and I can wait for the next one, or catch up, which I don't mind doing if I've only missed a couple of lessons?

I'm interested in this as well. The website says the course will run again on April 16th. If you don't watch the videos in the specified window do you have to do the whole course again? I couldn't see an FAQ on the Udacity website so I'm not entirely sure how the courses are structured.

Rich, I'm really interested in learning a programming like Python as a hobby but I don't have any idea of what I would like to make. For someone who doesn't need to know programming for their actual job, what would you recommend in terms of getting inspiration for a project?

Cheers.

Udacity started week 4 today. It would be possible to catch up depending on the time you have available tbh.

I've 2 full time jobs and a newborn with a cold, so I am struggling to keep up. Not started last weeks yet.

Or just wait until it starts again :D

Rich, I'm really interested in learning a programming like Python as a hobby but I don't have any idea of what I would like to make. For someone who doesn't need to know programming for their actual job, what would you recommend in terms of getting inspiration for a project?

Cheers.

I can give you video game projects, little websites, gui applications, all sorts. My brain is always full of ideas.

If you already know some python, try: http://bottlepy.org/docs/dev/

Hey Rich, I don't mean this to sound horrid but what's your motivation behind teaching python? Just a hobby, moving towards a career in training/teaching? Was just curious, you helped me out previously but unfortunately with the new job and several side projects I couldn't commit time wise :(

Hey Rich, I don't mean this to sound horrid but what's your motivation behind teaching python? Just a hobby, moving towards a career in training/teaching? Was just curious, you helped me out previously but unfortunately with the new job and several side projects I couldn't commit time wise :(

A few reasons:
a) I like to make new friends
b) I am a bit unsure about what my future career will be but teaching is fun so I might see if I can teach GCSE ICT or GCSE Computing :)
c) If someone I teach gets really good and wants a big project to do, two people can write more code than one person.
d) The person I teach can pass on their knowledge to other people, making me redundant! That's the beauty of it.

Rich,

I'm very keen on learning Python but don't know if I'd have the time to commit to lessons via Skype.

Do you do lessons via email? :D

I could try. Never done it before. I guess it would take longer. I could use you as a guinea pig to see how it works out. I'l send you a message.
Another (but quite complicated) way would be to make a new thread try and walk people though it on that. a lot of co-ordination would be needed.
Edit: Sod it, I am going to make the thread lol!
Edit2: In case you missed it, here you are: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18383545

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom