Want to bulk but keep a slender physique. Advice please

Soldato
I never tried stronglifts so cant argue with you on that. I did make fantastic gains going straight into a 3 day split though. Will have to do more research into all that maybe try a new program this year...

Soldato
OP
Phasing I would follow for someone like you would be: Conditioning 1, Strength, Hypertrophy, Conditioning 2.

This would look something like:

Conditioning 1 : 4 - 6 weeks
Cardio + higher rep weights circuits (2-3 x 15), full body.

Strength : 2 - 5 weeks
5 x 5 - Texas method. 3 days 5x5 + 1 day conditioning 1. I don't like 5 x 5 stronglifts, however the texas is awesome

Hypertrophy : 12 - 24 weeks
3 - 4 x 6 - 12. 3 / 4 day split, + one day conditioning 1.

Conditioning 2 - 6 weeks
One day 5 x 5, 3 - 4 days conditioning 2: Kettlebell complexes, interval / fartlek training.

I then would repeat the strength, hypertrophy, conditioning 2 phases as one cycle lasting . Aiming to beat previous phase performance each cycle by 10 - 30%. This cycle would last 24 - 41 weeks.

Ant :cool:

I appreciate your help but honestly, you might as well be talking in a different language :(

It would appreciate a breakdown of what I have to do to start with.

Exactly what weights I have to lift, starting at what strength and how many repetitions. I know I'm asking a lot here but I will be eternally grateful!

Man of Honour
Exactly what weights I have to lift, starting at what strength and how many repetitions. I know I'm asking a lot here but I will be eternally grateful!

What you're asking there is for us to tell you how strong you are. Of course we are going to have no idea. He has mentioned how many reps to work to during the different phases, but the weight at which working at those rep ranges will actually work you sufficiently depends entirely on your body. You need to get down the gym and try it.

Soldato
OP
Okay guys thanks :) I can tell I'm irritating some of you now!

The thing is I don't even know what weights are for what

For example

Free Weights / Dumbells - arms! Yes, I'm really THAT ignorant here.

Soldato
Ok some an example of conditioning 1 as above would be.

5 - 10 minutes light cardio, effort level 5 / 10 (bike, x trainer, treadmill)
15 - 20 minutes moderate cardo - effort level 6 -8 / 10.

DB Squat
Chinup (assisted)
Dumbell Bench Press
Bent Over Row (if hamstrings allow good posture, Seated Cable Row if not)
Dynamic Bodyweight lunge, aim for depth, slow tempo and good posture
SLDL
BB Bicep Curl
Narrow Grip Smith Tricep Press

2 sets of 15 - 20 repititions. You don't need to reach failure, but you should be fatigued. Rests should be short (30 - 45 secs) and heart rate needs to be moderate to high throughout.

Conditioning could be as little as 3 weeks depending on your experiece and how well you adapt.

Please don't think I'm saying this type of phasing is absolutely necessary, or that you won't get gains without it, plenty of people have rocked up to the gym and just started hammering out 3 day splits or kettlebell circuits and done great. But in my opinion, you're deconditioned and new to the gym, and this type of periodised program suits you.

Plenty of people bang on about the newbie effect for the first 8 weeks. But with proper periodisation you can make use of constant new adaptation to stimulus and make serious gains for a year or more before things really slow down. People start something new like 5x5 or GVT and are blown away by their progress, but half the time the only new stimulus for people who've been training for years is heavier weights or a different split. And their bodies are SO primed for a strength or power phase it's no wonder they expode.

There's SO many options for periodisation its crazy, and theres no right or wrong answer for you unless its stupid or dangerous. I do not like 5 x 5 for utter beginners because your body is just not conditioned for that type of loading.

With the program I've specified you'll lose weight, gain a little mass, and get a great base level of conditioning. You'll also begin to prepare yourself for the serious rigours of training for proper physique development and fitness.

Just make sure you build your intensity throughout your base conditioning (conditioning 1) and you're getting a very good workout, pushing yourself, and increasing the weights / reps by week 3. Attend 3 - 5 times weekly. Do it right the first time and you won't need to do this phase again.

Sorry for blathering, again.

Ant :cool:

Soldato
I am more alarmed at spending £150 on gym clothes, wtf is that all about?

Wear an old t shirt and pair of shorts, you're not there as a fashion thing surely? No one cares.

Back
Top Bottom