Want to get my first Macbook but lost

Associate
Hi all

So i need a new laptop, been looking at Dell xps but then i used a friends Macbook for video editing and well AMAZING the timeline performance with 4k raw is stunning. I got the wife a 12.9 ipad M1 with the fancy display and even that edits 4k raw 120fps video buttery smooth! Im sold apple rocks for video editing.

However will a macbook air be fine for my needs? Im kind of thinking that if an M1 ipad can edit 4k raw just fine then the M1 air should too? or do i bite the bullet and get the pro? Its quite a chunky ugly unit i comparison to the air. I do little edits on the move and often like to sit on the sofa to edit my footage. Video editing is the only heavy lifting it will do unless i find a 3D drawing app I particularly like on mac.

i have never ventured into the world of Mac although i do have iphones and ipads. But 4k 120fps raw is getting hard work on pc without monster hardware and laptops just seem to struggle.

is the pro silicon really that much better in the real world?

Man of Honour
There’s plenty of reviews of how the M1 performs on YouTube. I don’t do video editing on mine so can’t offer much than that but from what I understand it’s really good at it.

Associate
Probably the only things to consider for the Air is the base memory (16GB might be better for video editing) and whether you get the Pro version of the Air (not to be confused with the 14” and 16” Pro), as it has additional GPU power (and a fan).

From what I’ve seen, it should work fine for your needs.

Commissario
no, just no.
Agreed, there's no such thing as an Air Pro. I've never heard the 13" MBP described as an Air Pro before.

To go back to the original question, an M1 Air with 16Gb RAM will do what you want with ease but has also been suggested, if you buy from Apple, you get an absolute no questions asked fourteen day return policy. If you buy it and it's not grunty enough for you, you could return it and try the more powerful 14" MBP instead.

Whichever model suits you best, there's nothing stopping you buying it from Apple to try, returning it within the fourteen day period and then buying it from someone else afterwards at a discounted price. By doing that, you can be sure you'll get the model that's best for you at the best price.

I've edited 4k video on my M1 Air and it's been really smooth and easy. Far better than my older i7 iMac.

Soldato
in OP's circumstances, I'd say the way to go is with 1249 GBP version Air with 16GB memory upgrade.
256GB storage just isn't cutting it anymore, unless you have everything on NAS etc.

Associate
no, just no.

Agreed, there's no such thing as an Air Pro. I've never heard the 13" MBP described as an Air Pro before.

Wow, some sensitive Sally's - I'm an Apple fan but that 13" model does not fit the Pro line-up. They called it "Pro" before they had defined the current Pro line-up. You get the same internals as the Air and some very basic differences - it's niche.

Get the Air, otherwise get the 14" Pro if you're a power user.

Don
If you can afford it, the base model 14" Pro is the one to get. If you can't stretch to that then get an Air with 16GB and 512GB SSD.
I wouldn't be buying the 13" Pro at the moment as it offers nothing over the air beyond the Touch Bar and slightly longer battery life.

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone for their input! I was not aware of the 14 day money back thing at apple so this is awesome to know! I have been watching stacks of YouTube videos and it seems the air can edit H264/265 4k just fine due to built in hardware encoders and decoders within the M1 chip. The M1 Pro chip also has some hardware encoders/decoders for even more formats so maybe is a little more future proof due to this. Im going to go to the store and try them out.

i really prefer the form factor on the air and i think the new MBP looks a bit retro and ugly. So im leaning more toward the air but maybe a hands on will change my mind.

thanks to everyone who has commented

Soldato
Wow, some sensitive Sally's - I'm an Apple fan but that 13" model does not fit the Pro line-up. They called it "Pro" before they had defined the current Pro line-up. You get the same internals as the Air and some very basic differences - it's niche.

Get the Air, otherwise get the 14" Pro if you're a power user.

not so, I believe the pro screen is far superior with much more accurate colours, essential for my line of work and a big differentiator.

Associate
not so, I believe the pro screen is far superior with much more accurate colours, essential for my line of work and a big differentiator.

I was referring to what Apple call the Pro 13", which, in terms of screen, is just brighter - couldn't find any reviews saying it was better in other ways (same colour profiles, etc.).

The 14" and 16" do, however, have better screens, better specs, more ports, etc. so don't think you're getting that on the 13" model.

Soldato
I was referring to what Apple call the Pro 13", which, in terms of screen, is just brighter - couldn't find any reviews saying it was better in other ways (same colour profiles, etc.).

Yeah. The only difference between the MBP 13 and MBA 13 seems to be brightness.

Back
Top Bottom