Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade

Soldato
Great big meh. There's always going to be a balance issue with single-unit WH40k games. It's like the developers don't know or care about the lore and just want to make hero BigChin GravelVoice save the day over and over.

DoW1 was interesting because it had a mix of all the races and actually represented what they're like (Inquisition, Orks etc).

While each army does have similar units to some degree, they all operate very differently. Each race should have unique mechanics for how they're played. The way Orks work is nothing like how Space Marines and Eldar work. Not even close.

This game looks set to completely miss the point of 40k and bring nothing worthwhile to the table.

Associate
OP
The different races DO work differently.

Eldar have more classes available to them than the others but they are more specialized, for example.

When I get a spare hour I will update the first post to make things a little more obvious.

Soldato
I think the point he was making is e.g. A single bog standard orc wouldn't have a chance of taking on a marine. Their whole army is based around hugely outnumbering the opposition. In order to incorporate that into the game they would have to make the orc characters vastly weaker, meaning no one would want to play them...

Soldato
I think the point he was making is e.g. A single bog standard orc wouldn't have a chance of taking on a marine. Their whole army is based around hugely outnumbering the opposition. In order to incorporate that into the game they would have to make the orc characters vastly weaker, meaning no one would want to play them...
Unless it let you play one of the larger Orks and effectively command a blob of smaller Orks, Squigs and Gretchin around - as well as doing a bit of PvP yourself.

But they won't do that because that might be new and innovative.

Associate
OP
That is a valid point and something they are trying to address.

Orks are the 'free to play' race. You don't need to buy the game to play as one of the basic Ork classes but if you do buy the game (or just the Ork Faction) then you unlock the ability to spawn Hero Classes, vehicles etc.

The intent of this - and I remain sceptical as to whether it will actually work in practice - is that lots of people who want to play will join up for the fun but not stump up cash will play Orks. Further, Orks will have some kind of cumulative buff for the other greenskins nearby. So Orks should end up with the kind of Zergy mob style of fighting that they should have.

The big elephant sized fly in the ointment room is whether people will want to join in with this given that:

a) Looking at rough polls on the offical forum Space Marines are the biggest faction by far, then CSM, then a big gap before the Orks and finally the Eldar.

b) The Devs have stated that in a straight up fight a Marine can take on two or three Ork Boys...but a skillful Ork player could kill an average Marine player one-on-one.

*IF* there are many more Ork players than Marines then they might be able to put up a decent fight and things will balance out as per the TT game.

And I remember the massive faction swings between servers and factions that we had in WAR.

There is a lot of talk from the Founders about Eldar fighting the campaign very differently from the way SM and CSM do - that they will not be trying to seize and hold ground, for example.

I hope they get this to work but unless they can address the inherent population balance I fear this game may be SM vs Tyranid Bots a lot of the time. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Needs to be a second space marine game in my opinion. The first one was superb and fits in really well with the dawn of war games which impressed us all many years before. Warhammer online was turd though so I wish they'd just avoid this daft MMO cash cow crap and concentrate on what gamers actually want.

Soldato
Needs to be a second space marine game in my opinion. The first one was superb and fits in really well with the dawn of war games which impressed us all many years before. Warhammer online was turd though so I wish they'd just avoid this daft MMO cash cow crap and concentrate on what gamers actually want.

No, we don't need a other Space Marine game, we need a game that is a proper FPS with some decent multiplayer instead of this pansy arcade console stuff where you smash buttons to win.

Soldato
Games Workshop almost always pick the wrong developer and push things in the wrong direction and sabotage their own games.

For such vast and impressive intellectual property the dross they release is truly staggering. I have no doubt this game will tank as pretty much every other GW title does.

Soldato
Games Workshop almost always pick the wrong developer and push things in the wrong direction and sabotage their own games.

For such vast and impressive intellectual property the dross they release is truly staggering. I have no doubt this game will tank as pretty much every other GW title does.

Have to agree with you there, but that's the problem with Games Workshop anyway even with their tabletop games. They keep pushing up their prices, changing the rules, breaking peoples armies and models because of absurd rule changes.

It's all profit to them.

Soldato
Have to agree with you there, but that's the problem with Games Workshop anyway even with their tabletop games. They keep pushing up their prices, changing the rules, breaking peoples armies and models because of absurd rule changes.

It's all profit to them.

Completely agree, isn't the white dwarf (which is almost entirely adverts now) about £6?

Soldato
Making an MMO is hardly a guarantee of a cash cow in this day and age. What are you doing in her if you've no interest in a Warhammer MMO?

Because I like the franchise and the title of this thread mentions nothing about it being an MMO, so I had to click on it to read it in the first place...

No, we don't need a other Space Marine game, we need a game that is a proper FPS with some decent multiplayer instead of this pansy arcade console stuff where you smash buttons to win.

We need whatever sells. Why can't we have both? The space marine game was good, as where the dawn of war titles.

Associate
Hey Chaps,

I'm a big follower of this game, I made my gaming Chapter when DMO was annouched years back, glad to see Warhammer fans on this site!

For anyone interested, this weeks twitch stream will have some great info, also Graham will be on the stream to answer some questions, here are the details:

source.jpg

Hey Crusaders!

Please join us this Friday, Oct 24th at 1:30pm EDT for our Into the Warp live stream on Twitch!

We'll be showing off the new Apothecary model in-game, the new rescue system, new Rogue Trader items, chatting about an upcoming promotion, *cough* contest! *cough*, and more smile.png Make sure to head over to the Founder's Lounge to submit questions, OR record a video of your question and send it to [email protected]

Also, please follow our Twitch account and show us some love!

See you Friday!

If anyone has any questions, give me a nudge and I will try my best to give you answers :)

Caporegime
Interested to see what this is like, but I agree the hopes are not so high. Would have preferred a more epic scale FPS, like the Battlefront series.

It's all profit to them.

The only GW game which they could produce to an amazing level, is the only game they will likely never release: a full and true computerized version of the TT game with Blood-Bowl-esque graphics and animations. Ahh, if only...

Last edited:
Soldato
Interested to see what this is like, but I agree the hopes are not so high. Would have preferred a more epic scale FPS, like the Battlefront series.

The only GW game which they could produce to an amazing level, is the only game they will likely never release: a full and true computerized version of the TT game with Blood-Bowl-esque graphics and animations. Ahh, if only...

They could. But the only way to make it business viable is to have a comparative pricing model and you have to digitally purchase your armies.

No one would pay that though :p

Back
Top Bottom