Warhammer!

Associate
If one wanted to start playing warhammer where would he start?

The game looks interesting but there seems to be an abundance of them going about.

Is there a starting point? Like warhammer 1? do they all lead on to each other?

Could someone point me to a good starting point.

Thank you!

Soldato
There are so many Warhammer or Warhammer 40,000 games.

RTS, Building Sims, FPS, MMO, RPG's and so on.

What do you like?

If you never played any before, I would recommend the old Dawn of War games and then Space Marine and Space Hulk Deathwing.

If you want some Warhammer stype games, then the Total War Warhammer series is good, also the very old Warhammer Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Ome games (These are very old 95, but they was fun back in the end). Warhammer Vermintide 2 is setup in the Warhammer universe and plays like L4D.

There is also Warhammer games, like bloodbowl, even a navy game, so many...

Soldato
If one wanted to start playing warhammer where would he start?

The game looks interesting but there seems to be an abundance of them going about.

Is there a starting point? Like warhammer 1? do they all lead on to each other?

Could someone point me to a good starting point.

Thank you!

What sort of game? RTS? shooter? multi player shooter? turned base strategy? space rts? squad tactical?
In which system? Warhammer fantasy? blood bowl? warhammer 40k?

Last edited:
Soldato
Also, are you talking warhammer 40k, or fantasy? If you like the grim dark future setting of 40k, you might be disappointed by the fantasy games and vice versa

Associate
OP
To be honest I didn’t actually think there was so much choice!:confused:
I like FPS,shooters,rts,strategy. I’m quiet open in the games I like. Like a challenge. Only thing Is i don’t really do is play online a lot so maybe rules a fair bit out as I mostly game when working away and the internet is usually only good for txts and forum surfing. But at home I’m fine!
I like the look of 40k, dawn of war and vermintide. I did look but I didnt know if what I wasn’t looking at was a game,dlc or expansion so I held off.
Which are FPS?

Also I see a lot say online only is that online as connected to steam or online online!

Last edited:
Soldato
For FPS you can either pick up space marine (a bit dated by now, but still a laugh for a few quid), or the recently re-released space hulk deathwing, which has a reasonable campaign and is an amazing looking game. Best played with a group of friends in MP, but you can have AI squad mates.

For RTS you've got battlefleet gothic armada, (SP campaign and online MP), or the more traditional Dawn of War series (3 is the most recent, but gameplay wise 2 is the best allrounder

Associate
OP
Looked up hulk death wing looks pretty good think I might try pick up a copy of that and dawn of war 2, maybe vermitide as well can pick it up for £5 at the moment. I also like the look of total war looks like there are a few of them going about,
is there anything third person fight type? Like the likes of dynasty warriors or middle earth? Like these type of games as well.

Associate
OP
Just watched some videos like the look of that one to,

So far on the download splurge I think I’ll get;
Space marine
Death wing
Dawn of war 2
Vermitide

Now to go see who’s going to give me them the cheapest:p

Soldato

Space marine
Death wing
Dawn of war 2
Vermitide

Vermintide is online only.....
Dawn of War 2 not as good as Down of War 1.

Maybe you should be looking at Mordheim City of the Damned, a turned based squad strategy. (really realistic one also).

Unfortunately nothing of the above beats Warhammer Dark Omen, a 20 year old game.

Soldato

Space marine
Death wing
Dawn of war 2
Vermitide

We have battlefleet gothic armada 2 coming out this year and if its even half as good as the first one you should keep your eyes on that. Great gameplay and the cutscenes in the campaign were amazing. Reckon the first game can be had cheaply now.

If you like the fantasy setting then the total war games are probably the best RTS I've played in years (just a shame it's not the 40k setting as that's more my jam

Associate
Vermintide is online only.....

TIL! Though I've always played with at least one friend so I suppose that's why I never noticed

Dawn of War 2 not as good as Down of War 1.

I'd neither agree or disagree with this, they're both different and I wouldn't directly compare them. I've had fun with both, though I've definitely spent most of my time playing Retributions last stand. DoW3 is 'ok', but it's not really grabbed me tbh.

There's the new turn based game Warhammer 40K: Gladius which might be worth a look.

Associate
OP
So....finally got an afternoon to sit and play and I’ve been playing space marine for a few hours and I was addicted to it for being an older game it’s pretty decent I never expected it, I’m on to chapter 4 already maybe get some more in tonight.

Associate
OP
Have a look at Inquisitor Martyr, it’s like Diablo 3 in the 40k universe.

My internet where I am for work isn’t even worth having so I can’t look it up is it first.third person? I like them sort of games.

Waiting for space hulk death wing to drop in price then I’ll buy I think. That’s my hate paying more than price!

Soldato
Yeh space marine is really really good. Shame THQ went poop as another would have been very welcome.

Space hulk death wing is a lovely looking thing and recently received a massive patch which improved things beyond measure.

To this day I still play the Dawn of War games and am even now playing through a fresh campaign on Dawn of War 2. Still looks nice enough too.

Those three should keep you busy for long enough for now - there are WAY more stinkers in the series than decent games so go by recommendation rather than whim.

Back
Top Bottom