• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

[Warning Fudzilla] GeCube HD 2900XT beats 8800GTS 640MB

Soldato
OP
Dutch Guy said:
Maybe not now but I am sure that a while ago that was the idea, until they got problems with the cores.

Looks liek AMD did a lot of driver optimising, especially in Company of Heroes, but F.E.A.R. still shows a bigger drop in framerate when enabling 4xAA where the 2900XT's score is more than halved

Yea perhaps if they had done another respin it could have been a winner, but I guess they had already lost enough cash designing it and couldn't afford it or justify it, maybe they think they should have now.

Soldato
OP
Dutch Guy said:
They had a choice of delaying even longer or go with what they had at the time and they chose the latter.

I think the large performance drop is because AA is done in shaders and if it is with a game that relies heavily on shaders the drop is bigger than a game that isn't 'shader heavy'

Precisely.

Soldato
OP
esiemi said:
well done ATI, nearly a year late and still there is no solid proof of 2900 beating GTS, and even if really beats GTS what about the heat/fan/noise/AA etc issues.

Multiple reviews show it to beat the GTS :confused: heat/fan/noise is not really THAT much of an issue not to me and most of the other owners on this board anyway.

Soldato
OP
Cyber-Mav said:
you need to show both sides of the story, no point posting loads of threads showing 2900 beating gts in certain situations, it just makes it sound like your trying to justify your purchase of the 2900 :confused:

Post made no sense but no change there, I can fire up S.T.A.L.K.E.R right this minute and performance is never as low in those reviews, Im not trying to justify anything. Just the truth.

Soldato
OP
Cyber-Mav said:
so then why post links to reviews that show good performance for some games yet bad in stalker, and then you blame the benchmark they do? its like selective reading.

you abviously have something on your shoulder since you have started so many threads to do with ati and the 2900 that its quite ridiculous. really not sure what your trying to achieve here :confused:

You shouldnt trust reviews Mav. Not trying to achieve anything infact your the only one that has a problem with me, seems like your the one with the chip on your shoulder.

Soldato
OP
A lot of reviews use different setups/configs/drivers you just shouldnt trust them as they can be very varying, for once I would have thought you would have at least tried to engage your brain to understand that but no all hope is lost :D . CBA replying to you anymore Mav, your impossible.

Soldato
OP
helmutcheese said:
This is my view in my short time here and I am not going to add to this or bait arguements:

There is 1 person in general who is a nice dude but has made many threads about the new ATI card he has, I read into it he is trying to convince himself he did good buying the card as he was on Nvidia now ATI then was going to do a swap back to Nvidia with another user and now thinking about buying Nvidia until again decides to stay with the ATI.

I personally would put these cards down to same as FX5000's and they could actully game ok but overall were dudes, skip the ATI range this time as I did with Nvidia, I went from GF 4 TI4600 to 6800Ultra, has no hard time gaming inbetween.

I was kind of same with my AM2 over C2D but I made my own decision on variables and will leanr to live with that.

Ok, I'll stop making threads about the card I own, since when have you seen a person that owns a nvidia card make an ATi thread anyway, also the fact I am a beta tester means I get a lot of the information first hand. NO body on here is totally unbiased. But Ok even though it creates good discussion I'll stop and give myself a slap on the wrist. :o

Soldato
OP
helmutcheese said:
I just think the more you torture yourself the worst it gets (IMO), being there with "did I get right kit etc" many times.

I've made one, yes one thread about getting a GTX as I wanted to step up past the GTS/2900 level, nothing about regretting purchasing it.

helmutcheese said:
You can do whatever you like, you seem a nice guy, beta testing means little, I did same for MS and I'm no expert on software.

When you speak to AMD daily about what the 2900 has in store and get defined answers about its ARC it means a lot, well to me anyway

helmutcheese said:
If the card runs game the way you are happy thats all that matters, I have others on my case as I have Raptors and a 8800 Ultra, you dont see me telling anyone not to buy them if they can afford.

It does. Depending on how some of the bigger releases perform on this card later this year will I know that im keeping it for the long run. If they perform how I want then great.

Soldato
OP
Cyber-Mav said:
no don;t stop altogether, thats not gonna solve anything.
all i want to know is why you post links to reviews then tell me not to believe them.

i didn;t say anything to you about stop making new ati threads. so don;t even go there.

i just want to know why you say a review which shows benchmarks of the 2900 beating the gts is a legit review but the second the review shows the 2900 being beat you then say not to trust the review.
iv read all the reviews you have posted and it just seems to me that you say reviews are good where the 2900 is the winner and in that same review turn the page it shows stalker or some other benchmarks where the 2900 is the looser you make it sound as iff only thing to trust is benchmarks that show the 2900 beating the gts. any benchmark that shows the gts winning is not trustworthy.
hmm you can see why i get a suss as to what you say.

how can i put it, there is being biased, there is also being fanboy, now the new extreme is being a TomNbk :D :D

:p

The fact that S.T.A.L.K.E.R is a very unpredictable game also. God knows why they even bothered comparing with that (one of the shoddiest coded games in a long time) maybe even worse than R6V Mav ;) . FPS was up one minute and down the other with both my GTS/2900 it all depends on the scenes being rendered in game and a nuber of other reasons. This is all im trying to get across don't trust reviews with S.T.A.L.K.E.R as the benchmark, I think you didn't get the full point I was trying to get across. :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
killer_uk said:
It was, but that doesn't mean anything. All it means was that the coding is less efficient. Stalker would be very hard to bench and get reliable results across the board due to it's design. The game is a big world in which different events can happen, thus making performance very unreliable if you were to benchmark it.

Thank you you put it into much better words than I could be bothered :D

Cyber-Mav said:
depends on exactly how much cheese is on your helmut :p

:/ tbh.

Soldato
OP
willhub said:
He must be using a crap CPU or something coz in 03 I get 52,000, 05, I get 17500 and 06 I get 11442 which beats the 2900XT on there.

But on the game benchmarks, it beats the GTX once, and some its not far ahead of a GTS, there on Par I would say, both nice cards, anyone will be happy which ever they choose :)

Did you have your GTS clocked when you did those benches?

Soldato
OP
willhub said:
Yea at 650/2.2Ghz, at stock I get like 10200 in 06, I think thats with my CPU and ram at stock too.

Why on earth would you compare your clocked benches to a review which was done with stock cards :confused: obviously you'll score higher.

This is the testbed

Motherboard:
Nforce 680i EVGA board (Supplied by EVGA)

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Duo 6800 Extreme edition (Supplied by Intel)

CPU Cooler:
Akasa EVO AK 922 Blue Athlon 64/X2/FX cooler and Intel CPU's (Akasa)

Memory:
OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1066MHz 5-5-5-15 (Supplied by OCZ)
CL5-5-5-15-CR2T at 2.3V

Graphics card:

GeCube Radeon HD 2900XT 512MB GDDR3 (Supplied by GeCube)

Leadtek WinFast PX8800GTS 640MB (Supplied by Leadtek)

PSU:
OCZ GameXStream 700W (Supplied by OCZ)

Hard disk:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 500GB SATA (Supplied by Seagate)

Back
Top Bottom