Was the 80's the best decade for music and movies?

1980's...

Full Metal Jacket
Platoon
Hamburger Hill
The Lost Boys
Terminator
Airplane
The Shining
The Long Good Friday
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of The Jedi
Raiders of The Lost Ark
The Breakfast Club
ET (I hated it but many loved it)
Back To The Future
Mad Max 2
Blade Runner
Stand By Me
Die Hard
Ferris Buellers Day Off
The Thing
Top Gun
Rain Man (seriously, if you haven't seen this then watch it 10/10)
The Naked Gun
Ghostbusters
Scarface
A Nightmare on Elm Streen
Poltergeist
Raging Bull
Aliens
Chariots of Fire
The Karate Kid (wax on wax off!)
Dirty Dancing
The Killing Fields
Empire of The Sun
Risky Business
The Color of Money
Born on The Fourth of July
Lethal Weapon 1 & 2
Once Upon a Time in America
An American Werewolf in London
Beetlejuice
The Fly
Christine
Good Morning Vietnam
Predator

What did I miss?

I think from a technical point of view 80 & 90s was peak. CDs coming out meant recordings had to be much higher quality.

My view is the complete opposite, the initial transition from analog to digital recording techniques is why so much 80s music (early-mid 80s in particular) sounds cold and lifeless relative to the records from the 70s etc. It's long been one of the most common criticisms of 80s music. That said some people love that sound, it's kind of a hallmark of 80s music. Play a Led zep record, then a Depeche Mode record... one sounds natural, warm and fuzzy, the other sounds cold, lifeless and clinical (production wise, forget the actual songwriting).

Last edited:
80's movies definitely, 80's music no way.
Yeah...

90s music just for starters includes the rise of electronic dance music and the rave scene. You've got the britpop and indy and rock stuff. Grunge scene, euro dance and most of all... Trance music peaked arguably around 1999.

Last TOTP on this evening was 1978, very good actually. Black Sabbath - Never Say Die, amongst some others, I was pointing out to my 6 year old son that it was Ozzy Osbourne (who he is familiar with, at least the more modern version) and he didn't believe me!

I guess it's still around that era.

80s had money flowing and talented people who could actually do music so films music was top notch. 90s was amazing fueled by drugs and creativity which also lead to great movies and music. now mostly cgi no one wants to risk a budget so remakes of everything...some of it could be getting older but mostly its just people arent as skilled musically wise with instruments or the will to do it same with films.so everything is generated garbage.

80/90s by far the best period for movies and TV shows.
There was just so much creativity that is lacking nowadays.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom