Watch Dogs

Caporegime
Fact is when a game starts being made and when it finishes, things change. Sometimes companies put out better looking trailers on purpose to deceive, sometimes they genuinely hope to have some lighting method optimised to be fast enough 2 years later to be in the game, but it turns out they can't make it work so it has to be removed. The lighting between the two versions is insanely different. You've got the first part of the vid, the lighting is effectively dynamic and very nice on the old trailer and almost non existent on the newer one. in fact the lighting on the newer demo simply looks disgraceful, well below lighting quality that has been available even on last gen games.

UE4 has seemingly had voxel octree based GI removed, a bit unsure if this is just console version of the engine or the PC version to. Again the lighting looked great in demos but it's effectively them trying to apply ray tracing on a limited portion of the screen. pre-rendered demo or non playable demo that you can get away with low performance, hoping for optimisation before launch, that's fine. But in reality sometimes these features just don't make it, you can't always know how much you can fit in to a final game.

It could also be down to tools, they simply might not have gotten the GI working/enabled yet on the PS4, maybe they are working on it but thought getting a trailer out there without great lighting on consoles would lower expectations, maybe they'll manage to get it working by launch, or 6 months later.

The only thing to keep in mind is, never, ever, expect trailers to represent what they can actually ship, but don't be too hard on companies. If they never even try to add new features, they wouldn't fail nor raise expectations, but they'd never move forwards either. I'd prefer UE4 tried and failed to implement GI, but the attempt now helped them learn enough to implement it in UE5.

Associate
Oh come on people, this is SO simple. It's Aliens: Colonial Marines all over again.

Trailers looked great, final product couldn't perform on the level of hardware available at the time. It happens ALL the time.

If you see a trailer or "demo", decide if it's a good game based on it's gameplay and features, not it's graphics. As in all reality, it will look much different. Trouble is, too many people are hooked on graphics over gameplay, which is a very sad state of affairs to be honest.

I loved Joust.... It looked like crap.

Yet, Myst was lovely too look at, and yet SO boring.

Permabanned
Answering fan questions on Twitter, creative director Jonathan Morin listed the following as the minimum your rig will need to run Watch Dogs:

Processor: IntelCore 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz or AMDPhenom II X4 940 3.0Ghz
Memory: 6GB RAM
Video card: 1024 VRAM DirectX 11 Shader 5.0
Sound Card: DirectX9
Hard drive: 25 GB

Morin says that these are the official minimum specs. Recommended specs have not been announced yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/watch..._2012_was_too_early_to_reveal_watch_dogs.html

Really does feel like that whatever we saw in 2012, just was a polished napkin of ideas rather than a game - looks like from the devs it wasnt something they wanted to even show off...

ps3ud0 :cool:

I wouldn't be surprised. If I had created that, but knew it'd be almost impossible to manage that quality across the whole project/game then there is no way I'd want that footage going out after some of the backlash surrounding other games.
Raising expectation levels then not delivering is surely going to affect sales so by pushing that out I'm not sure they got enough interest to warrant the possible sales lost.

Who knows though.

I don't really care what anyone releases, as long as they don't try to deceive me along the way - but I consdier myself quite careful with what I buy games wise now.

The game could still be a really fun game (although doesn't look like my cup of tea) but everyone I know has really lost interest after therecent images/vids mostly because their expectations were raised too high.

Caporegime
Its great for hype, some will argue without the E3 2012 presentation WD wouldnt be as anticipated as it is. Theres probably some truth in that as the E3 2013 video isnt as mindblowing (also would have had to have contended with all the new console hype) compared to what else was shown...

For me personally, Im not a massive Ubisoft fan because of the way they have treated the PC community with dud ports in the past so taken most of what I see with Ubisoft with a pinch of salt. I was slowly moving away from this idea because they have been doing some excellent work over the last few years and really their new engines and the licenses/IP they are working with are very interesting - combine that with stuff like Ubiart Framework they really seemed to be one of the most interesting pubs/devs right now.

I hate to say it but its hard not to be 'once bitten, twice shy'; I look forward to WD but wont be pre-ordering it, my hype for the Division has abated because of whats transpiring with WD and most likely Ill do the same. Ubisoft really only have themselves to blame when it comes to adding to that trepidation...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Its great for hype, some will argue without the E3 2012 presentation WD wouldnt be as anticipated as it is.

I think that's very true, the 2012 presentation was great and certainly got me very hyped for the game.

Personally, I've now cancelled my pre-order and I'll now wait and see what reviews and proper gameplay videos look like. With Dark Souls 2, Titanfall and Infamous (and Trials Fusion next month) I don't think I'll be bored any time soon so I've got plenty of time to make up my mind about it.

Caporegime
I think that's very true, the 2012 presentation was great and certainly got me very hyped for the game.

Personally, I've now cancelled my pre-order and I'll now wait and see what reviews and proper gameplay videos look like. With Dark Souls 2, Titanfall and Infamous (and Trials Fusion next month) I don't think I'll be bored any time soon so I've got plenty of time to make up my mind about it.

Similar.

Cancelled the 'Deadsec'? edition or whatever it was called.

The initial game play and information looked fabulous, but I was never fully convinced. However, I think the change and delays have really changed my mind on this.

It looked, visually stunning, and game play sounded neat and tidy. Doubting that is the case now.

It's almost like they sold us a different game to start with :o. I think that had they not released so much information and video's to start with that people's expectations would have been lower and the changes and game as it stands now would be much better placed.

Cancelled and very much waiting for reviews.

Caporegime
OP
Looks like a fun sandbox to play in.

I like the weather system and how wind makes things blow around. I hope I can get on rooftops and survey my surroundings. Looks like it could be fun.

Soldato
Gameplay looks great but disappointed by the graphics. The lighting just looks really bland to me. Doesn't seem that great a step up from sleeping dogs that I just played through.

Caporegime
New trailer.

graphically it doesn't look too dissimilar to GTA V on the xbox 360 which is disappointing. Nowhere near what we were shown at E3

However graphics aren't everything, and the game is by no means horrible to look at. If the gameplay is as good as they promise, and the extra time taken in the delay was worth it, it can still be a great game.

Back
Top Bottom