 watch

Soldato
The first generation ipad was obsolete within 2 years of release.

Yet my Gen1 iPad still works and does the exact same function as it did the day I bought it.

In about 30 days you can say the same thing about the iPad Air. Next week for the iPhone 5S! I would go on...

As far as the watch goes, its a fairly conservative design which should appeal to a very wide range of people. The straps look good, I reckon will start at $40 for the colourful rubber ones and go up from there.

Will I buy one? Probably but I need to finish my HTC One contact first to get back to iOS.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yet my Gen1 iPad still works and does the exact same function as it did the day I bought it.

In about 30 days you can say the same thing about the iPad Air. Next week for the iPhone 5S! I would go on...

As far as the watch goes, its a fairly conservative design which should appeal to a very wide range of people. The straps look good, I reckon will start at $40 for the colourful rubber ones and go up from there.

Will I buy one? Probably but I need to finish my HTC One contact first to get back to iOS.

Expect your ipad one doesn't... Been on the app store lately? I take it nothing installs because ur on ios6?

Associate
I'll be getting the 6 but won't be getting the watch, sticking to my regular dress watch and just use apps on my phone to track my running.

Associate
The first generation ipad was obsolete within 2 years of release.

That's an iPad, you can't just bump the screen size on a device which has to fit on a wrist, you can't just increase the resolution as it's already small, in other words you can't just bump the hardware specs as it's a watch.

The first gens of Apple devices tend to fair worse in this respect, as their devices don't generally mature until the 3rd gen.

Apple doesn't actually make enough devices for this to be truly set in stone although it seems likely. One of my key points was the software is probably more important than any of the hardware (besides battery) so they can easily keep the device as relevant as the next version.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

There's no precedent for updating the hardware on an annual basis, either.

People are assuming it'll be refreshed next year, but they could choose to wait 18 months to polish v2. I personally don't think they'd do that, but it could happen if the technology isn't there for the device.

I expect v2 to have a much improved battery at the very least.

Its been pushed towards the sports watch market and yet no GPS. Its a very odd omission from a watch likely to cost £250+. If you are out running/doing sports you don't want the watch as an accessory to your phone as you don't want to be carrying your phone.

Also that 'design' looks like a £30 Chinese knock off from e bay (give it a month or two)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Its been pushed towards the sports watch market and yet no GPS. Its a very odd omission from a watch likely to cost £250+. If you are out running/doing sports you don't want the watch as an accessory to your phone as you don't want to be carrying your phone.

Also that 'design' looks like a £30 Chinese knock off from e bay (give it a month or two)
I have a Nike+ Sports Watch (as my daily watch) yet still carry my phone on an arm band when running.

Listening to music off the phone gets me through the runs, although I could manage with an iPod Nano. I like taking the phone with me in the event of an emergency.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

The fact that its not waterproof is a joke. It's a modern watch, a massive design flaw straight away.
It is waterproof , but it's not capable of being submerged.

I suppose splash-proof is a better term.

Caporegime
It is waterproof , but it's not capable of being submerged.

I suppose splash-proof is a better term.

So, it's not waterproof then :p

Meaning I'd have to take off every time I wash my hands etc. It's a basic requirement that a £5 watch from Argos can do these days, a £350 computer a wrist should be wateproof.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

So, it's not waterproof then :p

Meaning I'd have to take off every time I wash my hands etc. It's a basic requirement that a £5 watch from Argos can do these days, a £350 computer a wrist should be wateproof.

While Apple announced the Apple Watch today at its special event, it didn't go over all of the new device's features, noting that the company has a lot more to share in the future. Yahoo Tech's David Pogue has found out some of the details Apple didn't share on stage.

The watch is water resistant, allowing users to not worry about the device when in the rain, or washing hands. However, the watch must be taken off before going for a swim or taking a shower. Additionally, the watch includes a microphone that can allow users to make calls directly from their Apple Watch.

Users will also be able to load apps onto the Apple Watch from their iPhone. To rearrange the apps, users will have to hold their finger on an app's icon and move it around, similar to how one rearranges icons on an iPhone. There's also a "Ping My iPhone" feature, which will allow users to play a sound on their iPhone so they can locate it in case they have misplaced it.

Finally, Pogue explains that the Apple Watch Edition, the most high end of the Apple Watches, comes with a special box.

The fanciest model, the gold Apple [Watch] Edition, comes in a gorgeous jewelry box — which doubles as a charger. The back of the box has a Lightning connector, and the inside of the box has the watch’s magnetic round charger pad, standing vertically. So as you retire each night, you can just lay your gold watch into its case and let it charge.
Additionally, Re/code's Ina Fried says that the offline abilities of the Apple Watch include Apple Pay, music via Bluetooth, activity tracking and some apps.

The Apple Watch will launch in early 2015 with its lowest end model costing $350.

Soldato

You can say that about almost anything, its not magically going to stop but the experience sucks, software is really out dated, you can't really run any modern app, web browser is horrible slow. It also lacks a lot of features from the newer iPads e.g iSight camera, more then 256ram (which the iPhone 4 had at that time). It was clearly a gen1 device that didn't have exactly what they wanted in terms of power/hardware, and you can see how much better the gen2 product was.

To speculate and say it was done on purpose I think is not exactly fair, this happens with everyone, the first product is always a proof of concept of sorts. A good example is the Moto 360 it looks beautiful but they couldn't quiet get the circle to be 360 and needed a bit of space for the bezel near the bottom, and the battery life is less then ideal.

So you're saying adding a GPS will make the previous model obsolete?

Obviously you can bump the specs but my whole point was as a watch increasing the specs in the same way you would have for a phone or tablet won't work as well.

It starts to become obsolete if they make meaningful changes that will effect your exact needs, GPS is a good one, I have a friend who goes running a lot and hates having to take his phone period, so if a 2nd gen product has GPS meaning his phone can stay home it makes a huge difference. For me personally GPS wouldn't make a difference, I don't go running a lot and instead focus on weight training/swimming/rowing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom