• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Watchdogs at 4K

Soldato
Ok muon, opinionated much! Clearly dont play many modern strategy games like total war warhammer II. Yes, there are games that require heavy cpu calculations and it cant be magicked away. Thats why we (ideally) need decent multithreading implemented in the latest game engines.

Soldato
It would be interesting to see if a new cpu running at 6/7 ghz (using liquid nitrogen cooling or equivalent) could handle the game better at 4k resolution.

For the rest of us - Maybe just need to wait till next year for 10nm intel and 5nm amd cpus.

Associate
Only just started playing this but think I'm going to enjoy it, certainly fun visiting places I know really well in London.

I'm using the HUB quality settings & pretty happy with performance (cut-scenes & driving not so much).

*this is 1440p though:rolleyes:

H3ZZbvQ.jpg

Associate
When I bought my 2080ti I knew I'd still have to reduce settings for 4k60 and it'll be the same with the next graphics card I buy. Just par for the course for pc gaming.

Soldato
So basically, the zen 2 based console CPUs will be around 20% slower than equivalent zen 3 desktop CPUs?

30%, 20% from the ipc difference and 10% from clock speed (console do all core 3.5-3.6ghz but zen 3 desktop all core is several hundred MHz higher than that and consoles do 3.8ghz single core while zen3 desktop does 4.9ghz, 1.1ghz difference

Soldato
Ok muon, opinionated much! Clearly dont play many modern strategy games like total war warhammer II. Yes, there are games that require heavy cpu calculations and it cant be magicked away. Thats why we (ideally) need decent multithreading implemented in the latest game engines.

We talking about a different game now so you can try and win an argument?

I'm happy it doesn't require a 12 or 16 core CPU to max out the GPU. If you think it should then you will be in the minority. Games should be GPU bound as much as possible.

If watchdogs can get away with 6 cores/12 threads, then good. This is what good optimisation means as long as the GPU is 100% utilised, which it is here.

What you don't want is what happened with games like AC Origins where it would as many cores as you could give it (and scale) and yet bottlenecked GPUs.

Last edited:
Soldato
The DSO article highlights the main issue quite well 'Ubisoft has added a respectable number of graphics settings to tweak. Unfortunately, though, these settings do not really affect the CPU, which is what will be limiting a lot of PC gamers.'

its a similar story with other other recent ubisoft games. For example, the last couple of AC games were poorly optimized for pcs, stuttered terribly on hard drives and used excessive disk and cpu resources to stream in textures.

My pc struggled to get a minimum of 30 fps on the AC odyssey benchmark on the lowest settings at 1080p, but managed after upgrading to an ssd.

I dont disagree with you muon, my view is that single threaded cpu perf. is king. But we are a long way off doubling the single threaded perf. of my old 4770k :D

Maybe i will try (roughly) halfing the clock speed to 2.1 ghz later, to see if this results in half the game performance, if i can be bothered....

Last edited:
Associate
Claims of bad optimization are always hard to back up, we sadly see a lot of people point to bad performance and claim it's bad optimzation, when sometimes the performance is bad simply because the quality being produced is so much better. Optimization is the process of getting the same output in quality for less resources which is a tricky thing to achieve. It's pretty normal that game settings don't affect the CPU, the vast majority of game settings that impact performance are visual. With a game like AC I expect a lot of the CPU performance is being eaten up on massive crowd AI and things like that.

As for Watch Dogs specifically I think the accusations of bad optimization are more to do with performance dropping between patches, but then I don't raelly know what the latest patch did. I started to suspect maybe they'd incrased the fidelity of graphics at the high end leading to frame rate drop. Several people have speculated they might have made Ray Tracing more aggressive in a pre-emptive move to make AMD look bad as it's rumoured their Ray Tracing performance is a bit slower.

Soldato
well on my pc at 1080p, I got 46 fps (1 percent low) with my 4770k cpu running at 4.3ghz.

Then, 35 fps (1 percent low) with the same cpu running at 2.1ghz. So, just 11fps lower, not too bad considering. I used low settings for everything, except for TAA, ultra textures and ultra texture filtering.

So, this suggests to me that a hypothetical cpu with 2x the singlethreaded perf. would likely get quite close to 60fps, even with an average gpu like an r9 390, using the same settings.

Maybe a bit more if this cpu was a hexacore.

Edit - the dso article showed a 13 min fps difference between a quad core and hexacore cpu (no hyperthreading) at 1080p.

Last edited:
Soldato
Settings are there for you to turn down, not up. The starting point is maximum everything, then tweak downwards to suit. :)

I got 60fps fairly consistently out of it with Raytracing set to high and DLSS set to balanced. I also knocked down shadows from Ultra to Very High, everything else left to max.

The reflections and stuff look great but I have to say I think the character models are pretty poor, and the cars are shocking....

3800x and MSI 3080

Set shadows to high instead of ultra, insane performance boost and you can't see the difference

Game looks great at 4K with Raytracing on

“I don’t care if you cannot see the difference, you should not need to turn down settings on a brand new flagship card!”

“There must be a difference otherwise the devs would not put the option there!”

“10gb is not enough!”

:p:D
:eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
I tried it on 4K and it looked very sharp and detailed. Shame I can only get 20 FPS, guess I need a GPU with at least 3x the power to play this game on 4K (using R9 390).

I'd say the quality is good / OK on 1440p or 1080p though.

Being a next gen console game I think it was basically designed to look great on 4K, but I don't think the textures are 'optimized' for the highest quality on lower resolutions.

Back
Top Bottom