water cooled ram?????

Associate
Anyone tried water cooling their ram or even freezing it?
Surely I can't be the only nutcase to think of this..... someone?..... anyone?

RAM doesn't get hot enough to need that sort of cooling - unless there's something VERY VERY wrong. It really would be pointless.

You can get water blocks for RAM if you look around.

Was thinking mainly sub zero cooling see if peeps could get them faster like CPU's....
A couple of years ago I went to canada for 6 months over winter....
it was below -10C out side and I pirched my PC on the window ledge with the window open.... CPU was a couple of degrees below and HD was just over....
got my system a hell of a lot faster including memory speed.... had a PC2100 run 350 (175).... where normally it struggled around pc2700.... CAS2....

Hence why I'm askin if anyone tried it?

It's all pretty academic now - the need to run your ram at insane FSB's has all but disappeared with the 939 taking over from the Socket A's - you're far better off concentrating on tight timings, and letting the CPU do the work. I suppose it depend what you're after though - competitive benching, sure, go for it - normal gaming etc... not a lot of point - far better off spending the cash elsewhere :D

BH-5 at high voltages needs active cooling. Just stick a 120mm fan over it. No need to buy expensive, restrictive waterblocks.

ps if its a bling thing though check out aquacomputer as well. :)

Sexy :)

26001.jpg

They are a bit pointless as
1/ Most ram doesnt need to run fast these days
2/ Most ram doesnt get hot and a 80mm fan at 5v is normally sufficient to keep it cool anyway

And worst point:
3/ The ram waterblocks are generally ver restrictive and so affect the entire loop too much

ted34 said:
3/ The ram waterblocks are generally ver restrictive and so affect the entire loop too much

Why are people still thinking 1 dimentionally....
if I go for water cooling I'll have one loop for CPU ONLY and one for everything else.... I may well go a hell of a lot ferther....
Hello, were talking about getting the upmost out of your hardware.... stop with the mocking and think out-side the box.....
the reason WHY is simple.... it's called overclocking.... getting more out of your hardware....

Catch ma drift? ;)

cypriobrit where you find that on there site? I can't!!!

i don;t think the *** flows through the metal bit but over the top so convection etc of heat up them plates or maybe they are hollow so the water kinda fills it but don't flow through it

I want

yoda said:
the reason WHY is simple.... it's called overclocking.... getting more out of your hardware....

Catch ma drift? ;)

I don't think they are thinking one dimentionally, I think they are just offering you advice based on experience. I'd suggest that rather than taking offence you say thanks very much but this is what I am going to do.

I have my own doubts regarding the validity of water cooling ram similar to others here, but I'll keep them to myself :p

Well... in answer to your original question, yes it has been done, many times, to varying degrees of effect. The bottom line though is that apart from looking bling, it adds next to nothing to the overall performance of your system for the amount of cash you have to spend. Running a single loop it may well hurt your performance. If you do go for 2 (or many more) seperate loops then yes, you may see tiny gains, but at HUGE extra cost.

That's not to say you shouldn't try it (My old rig had the CPU under phase, the GPU pelted and cooled by an R12 Chiller, with a third loop for the peripherals.) I did it because I enjoyed building the stuff and learning about it as I went - that's the thrill for me. If you want performance, spend your cash on better kit, if you enjoy playing, then by all means tinker to your hearts content. There's no right answer, it really is about what you want to get out of the experience ;)

(As you can see from my sig - I now treasure stability above all else so have gone for a conservative setup for my main rig - doesn't mean my benching rig isn't still abused on a regular basis, but sometimes I just like to know it'll work! - each to their own)

Last edited:
Drazic said:
cypriobrit where you find that on there site? I can't!!!

i don;t think the *** flows through the metal bit but over the top so convection etc of heat up them plates or maybe they are hollow so the water kinda fills it but don't flow through it

I want

Click on the union jack first for an english site. then look under watercooling> blocks. simple. :)

Back
Top Bottom