water meter fitted, not using much water :confused:

Associate
It might be for consideration that when the guy fitted your meter he did NOT set it to 000000. I've seen it where new electric and gas metres have been installed in houses the guy who fits them will often set them to say: 999992, effectively giving you a minus 8 to begin with.

Minuses are good! If they bill from zero, you've gained 8 free units...

Associate
United Utilities cover our area and we were told that our rates are high because they use the money to clean up the Liverpool Coastal area.

I only go to Liverpool to visit my hub-caps and people in Cheshire feel that they are being unfairly treated and the Scousers should pay to clean up Liverpool themselves.

I expect the South West bills are high because of the lengthy coast line? One thing about the South West water is that it tastes much better than Cheshire water. My family live on the Somerset Levels and there is a marked difference in taste. I don't know if it's worth a couple of hundred pounds a year though! My mother's house has a cesspit and her bills are almost halved because she doesn't pay for sewage. Start digging guys!

Soldato
ok, so I was being charged £72 a month for water. I live on my own and am at work for 8 hours 5 days a week, so thought this was a tad steep. so I have had a water meter fitted. it was fitted last Thurs, I checked it this morning, so that's 8 and a bit days, and its on 000038 (the 38 is in the red numbers), which equates to from what I can work out from the limited info I can find 0.38 units. its £1.96 a unit (I think) so that's £0.74 a week on water. surely this cannot be correct?
They don't bill the red numbers, in my experience. But .38 units would be 380 litres, which is nothing, even if you are living alone, a shower is estimated to use about 45L for 5mins, so a shower everyday would use most of that... no washing machine?

Soldato
OP
They don't bill the red numbers, in my experience. But .38 units would be 380 litres, which is nothing, even if you are living alone, a shower is estimated to use about 45L for 5mins, so a shower everyday would use most of that... no washing machine?

I don't leave the shower running whilst washing, so its not on for a huge amount of time.

nope no washing machine, I use a laundrette as it works out cheaper.

Caporegime
That's because your water authority is not the greedy money grabbing thieves that are South West Water. We have the highest water rates in the country; the average down here is about £520 pa compared to about £340 in the rest of the country.

Scrap that, read it as South Welsh water...lol

Associate
That's because your water authority is not the greedy money grabbing thieves that are South West Water. We have the highest water rates in the country; the average down here is about £520 pa compared to about £340 in the rest of the country.

Indeed, but the OP was being charged at the Rateable Value of the property, which is NOT set by the relevant water authority.

The end customer always has the option to meter the property and, in the South West, has the option to revert to RV if it is more beneficial to the customer within 12 months.
The average for a single occupier in the SW region is about 28/month, thats water, sewerage and surface water drainage.

There are lots of ways to reduce consumption as well. to give you an example, I pay under 50/month for 5 occupiers for water & sewerage (no SWD) and thats all normal everyday use.

OP . If you have any questions related to SWW charges, you are welcome to drop me an email (in trust)

I have done some work with SWW in the past.

Back
Top Bottom