Water Meter

Soldato
I just had a letter from Affinity Water that they'll be fitting a meter in the next couple of months. They say 70% of people save money with a meter. Presumably because they're being more aware of not wasting water which keeps their bills down. I'm used to getting a set monthly direct debit amount from Affinity. Has anyone reading this found their bills less or more since getting metered?

Soldato
Search the forum - there is a big thread IIRC.

I was totally against water meters but I had no idea they had pushed rates so high for unmetered. I pay way less than if I had a meter and I pay zero attention to the water I use.

Soldato
OP
On my letter, it says they'll do an outside survey and let me know if, when and where they'll fit it. It involves digging a small hole and will take about 2 hours. I suppose there's a small chance they might not fit one as they mentioned 'if'.

Last edited:
Soldato
Water and wastewater charges are currently £451.60 for the year. Monthly it's £56.45 direct debit paid over 8 months.
Ah ok. Well long term they are going to screw you either way (they are raising both metered and unmetered). I pay ~£28/mo on a meter, 2 adults 1 child - 2 showers/1 full bath each day.

Caporegime
I just had a letter from Affinity Water that they'll be fitting a meter in the next couple of months. They say 70% of people save money with a meter. Presumably because they're being more aware of not wasting water which keeps their bills down. I'm used to getting a set monthly direct debit amount from Affinity. Has anyone reading this found their bills less or more since getting metered?
depends how many people live in the home, how many baths/showes/washing loads/toilet flushes etc you do a week.

theres calculators online that can estimate if you will be better off or not.
really simple to fill in

Last edited:
Soldato
Reading of water companies ambitious plans for upgrading their infrastructure, it sounds like it's going to be on us all to fund this. To me one obvious way of doing this is jacking up the rates for fixed rates for those who don't want to be metered. If everyone reduced consumption then money would be also saved that way.

Soldato
It's always been a lot cheaper for us to be on a meter, i'm not sure what kind of bills people get on meters to be scared off?

We're 2 adults and 1 child so lots of showers and baths and washing machine and dishwasher on daily etc also don't shy away from filling up paddling pools in the summer and we pay something like £24 a month.

Man of Honour

Soldato
Can they force you to have one? Up here it's a choice you can even have one then change your mind within two years.
If you are within a water-stressed area, yes they can. They have the legal power to implement mandatory smart metering across the entire catchment. They can't usually do it on an individual basis, though.

Caporegime
Reading of water companies ambitious plans for upgrading their infrastructure, it sounds like it's going to be on us all to fund this. To me one obvious way of doing this is jacking up the rates for fixed rates for those who don't want to be metered. If everyone reduced consumption then money would be also saved that way.
not everyone can have a meter fitted and those who can't can ask for a re-assessed rate

you'd think that should work the other way around too, if you don't want a meter but you don't want to be ripped off.

Last edited:
Soldato
not everyone can have a meter fitted and those who can't can ask for a re-assessed rate

you'd think that should work the other way around too, if you don't want a meter but you don't want to be ripped off.

It's only really old flats that have a shared supply where it would be tricky. There's no viable reason for any house to not be able to have a meter. Even if it can't be installed within the property, it can be installed externally - garden/driveway/footpath.

Soldato
OP
I jumped over to water meter as Thames water was charging me around £55 per month. Now around £27.00 per month.
That sounds promising for me then. I'm paying just over £55 so if metering reduces it by half like in your case, that would be great. Is it that you're being much more conscious of not running water excessively that's brought your bills down or is it just generally cheaper on your meter?

RJC

RJC

Don
That sounds promising for me then. I'm paying just over £55 so if metering reduces it by half like in your case, that would be great. Is it that you're being much more conscious of not running water excessively that's brought your bills down or is it just generally cheaper on your meter?
It is generally cheaper, 1 person - but with the girlfriend staying 3/4 nights.

Includes showers / baths washing car and washing machine going.

I had the meter installed September 2022 and they should have provided comparison bills but they did not, but my parents did and found they could save quite a bit. I phoned Thames Water the end of Feb and got it sorted and they back dated to the day the meter was installed - they calculate average £27 a month but with the back date I am £258 in credit with them. :)

Soldato
Is it that you're being much more conscious of not running water excessively that's brought your bills down or is it just generally cheaper on your meter?

Before meters all properties had an assessed rateable value (RV) (a bit like council tax valuation, but for 'rates' i.e water rates). This depended on the size of the house. Bigger house bigger RV.

So a lot of people save on a meter because the RV assumes a certain water use for the size of the house. Your water company doesn't know how many people live there so you are charged based on the RV. If you use lower than this you save money without doing anything different.

General rule of thumb is more bedrooms than people you'll save money.

We'll have full metering coverage eventually, it's the only fair way really. Pay for what you use just like energy.

Soldato
My water bill for this year is £605 - Next door on a meter paid £300 for the last year and she said she doesn't skimp on baths etc.
We only have a shower.
So they are here on Thursday to fit a meter - I can cancel and go back to yearly paying within the first 12 months.
I have installed another 3 water butts for the wife's garden.

Back
Top Bottom