Watercooling MSI R9 390 Gaming 8GB

Associate
OP
I literally just built a Crossfire R9 390X setup at work this morning using Asus cards and it's running great.

I haven't checked the temps yet, but I'll give it a go so I can compare that with what I was seeing on my own single-card system. Not sure I can convince work that water cooling is a priority :D

Associate
I don't know what you do for work, but it sounds infinitely more fun that the pensions I'm currently reviewing :D

Would be interesting to hear the temps though. I can only imagine the top card must be ready to cook on!

Associate
OP
Hehe, I work in the games industry so I can get away with messing about with PC's at work quite a lot. It has it's moments, but I imagine it's certainly more entertaining than pensions :)

I didn't get a chance to check the crossfire temps in the end, but I've just been running Heaven for about 20 mins here, and I also didn't go above 48 degrees! WoW is still the thing that pushes it the highest!

Cheers

Associate
OP
So I just ran the temperature software on the machine at work with 2 x R9 390X cards (with standard air-cooling). I ran the basic 3D Mark tests, and after the cycle, the maximum temps were:

GPU1: 95
GPU2: 93
CPU: 76

So that's clearly very hot .. I could probably fry an egg on the top of the case! Might be worth taking the cards apart and re-doing the heat transfer paste if it's anything like my MSI card .. but these ones are ASUS. The CPU just has a universal Arctic Cooler fan on it, but it's much better than the stock fan that ships with the CPU.

Either way, I am getting about 50% of those temps with the water-cooling, so that's a good indicator of the benefit :D

Associate
Blimey! They must be throttling at those temps mustn't they? Interesting that they are both similar, I would have thought the top card would be much higher, but there isn't much in it.

Reapplied paste sounds like a good idea. Let us know the new temps if you do

Associate
OP
So how's it looking now that you've had some time to put it through its' paces?
Still working great on my side compared to the standard setup! :D

Associate
Yeh really well. Still haven't gamed that much as I managed to break the old pump and had to wait for a replacement. But it seems to idle at 40° at peak at 58° and that's on fan and pump settings to be as quiet as possible.

So yeh a million times better than 84° and GPU fans at full chat! :D

I did some benches at 1200/1500 with extra power chucked in and seemed to handle it ok as well. Previously I would have been touching 90° so backed off.

I still run it daily at 1160/1500 though.

Really pleased.

Although I must say, now the loop is finished, I want to build another one :D

Associate
OP
haha .. awesome, glad it's all working.
I'm wondering if I can fit a 2nd one in now too, but I would need another radiator. :p

Associate
Ah. Yeh might be asking a bit much.

I should be ok with a 360 + 240, but I'm trying really hard not to spend any more money right now.

However should one pop up in the MM once the new cards come out . . :D

Associate
Sorry for hijacking the thread, just wanted to say thank you for the ideas I took from this thread, helped me know end.
I has a crossfire setup of these cards and couldn't settle the temperatures, so I decided to water-cooled them, but didn't want a full loop setup, more of an aio solution.
So I went with a kraken g10 and corsair h75 aio and it worked great, until I realised my vrm temps were going nuts. So after reading this thread numerous times, I decided to butcher the stock cooler and take of the vrm heatsink and attach that with the thermal pads to see if it made a difference, and low an behold it did. Just stuck a few heatsinksnon top and now, I have great temps and a lot cooler vrm temps.

Soldato
Yeh really well. Still haven't gamed that much as I managed to break the old pump and had to wait for a replacement. But it seems to idle at 40° at peak at 58° and that's on fan and pump settings to be as quiet as possible.

So yeh a million times better than 84° and GPU fans at full chat! :D

I did some benches at 1200/1500 with extra power chucked in and seemed to handle it ok as well. Previously I would have been touching 90° so backed off.

I still run it daily at 1160/1500 though.

Really pleased.

Although I must say, now the loop is finished, I want to build another one :D

Which pump are you using and how loud is it, at it's minimum speed setting?

I'm considering watercooling my MSI 390X due to the insane noise at load. The rest of my system is practically silent.

Many thanks.

Associate
Hi,

I'm using this pump now - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-xtop-revo-d5-pwm-incl.-pump-wc-885-ek.html

According to Asus fan xpert 3 it's lowest PMW setting is around 20% power and you would have a job to know it's on. I tend to run it at around 35% and it's almost silent. I would say it would probably be inaudible if I added some proper foam cushioning rather the makeshift effort I have in there at the moment. A job for another day.

Basically watercooled it will be way quieter under load than the air cooler, but you'll still hear the rad fans when gaming.

Soldato
Hi,

I'm using this pump now - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-xtop-revo-d5-pwm-incl.-pump-wc-885-ek.html

According to Asus fan xpert 3 it's lowest PMW setting is around 20% power and you would have a job to know it's on. I tend to run it at around 35% and it's almost silent. I would say it would probably be inaudible if I added some proper foam cushioning rather the makeshift effort I have in there at the moment. A job for another day.

Basically watercooled it will be way quieter under load than the air cooler, but you'll still hear the rad fans when gaming.

Many thanks :)

Adding that pump to my WC list, next I need to decide on radiator, and whether or not to watercool my CPU at the same time.

Associate
I think if you're doing a custom loop, you may as well cool both components at the same time. I'm using a single 360mm rad for both and it copes fine.

Back
Top Bottom