Watercooling MSI R9 390 Gaming 8GB

Soldato
Temps are looking very good so far, but I haven't done a lot of "stress-testing" just yet.

Desktop (web browsing etc etc)
GPU: 26
VRAM: 28
CPU: 28

Playing WoW (where I had issues before), after 15 mins:
GPU: 45
VRAM: 56
CPU: 45

Before, after 15 mins of WoW, my VRAM would have been up in the 80's for sure! So this is way better! :D

Cheers!
:eek: those temperatures. That's it I'm getting one.

Permabanned
And here it is, all up and running:

390_1_zpszm6wocne.jpg

Desktop (web browsing etc etc)
GPU: 26
VRAM: 28
CPU: 28

Cheers!

That is a game changer for the 390x's

could you watch a 1080 film and let me know the numbers plz.
i loved the power of my 290x's but hitting 87c watching a film was a joke, this will be a lot better and i may now have to move back to team red

Associate
OP
hehe, I actually don't have any 1080p movies kicking around, but I got lots at 720 :p. I''ve been messing about with a few games etc, and these are the results.

The important thing to note is that all the games listed below are running at 2K with all settings on Max/Ultra:

1080p YouTube video @ fullscreen
VRM: 32
GPU:31
CPU: 32

720p video fullscreen using Windows Media Player
VRM: 33
GPU: 33
CPU: 33

Star Wars: Battlefront @ 2K Ultra settings
VRM: 54
GPU:40
CPU: 54

Battlefield 4 @ 2K Ultra settings
VRM: 56
GPU:45
CPU: 55

World of Warcraft @ 2K Ultra settings
VRM: 63
GPU:47

3D Mark Firestrike @ 1080p (Gaming PC) settings
VRM: 52
GPU:37
CPU: 40

Overall, nothing to worry about so far. Temps are all way better than they were before so I don't need to panic if I play for more than 30 mins anymore :p

Cheers!

Associate
hehe, I actually don't have any 1080p movies kicking around, but I got lots at 720 :p. I''ve been messing about with a few games etc, and these are the results.

The important thing to note is that all the games listed below are running at 2K with all settings on Max/Ultra:

1080p YouTube video @ fullscreen
VRM: 32
GPU:31
CPU: 32

720p video fullscreen using Windows Media Player
VRM: 33
GPU: 33
CPU: 33

Star Wars: Battlefront @ 2K Ultra settings
VRM: 54
GPU:40
CPU: 54

Battlefield 4 @ 2K Ultra settings
VRM: 56
GPU:45
CPU: 55

World of Warcraft @ 2K Ultra settings
VRM: 63
GPU:47

3D Mark Firestrike @ 1080p (Gaming PC) settings
VRM: 52
GPU:37
CPU: 40

Overall, nothing to worry about so far. Temps are all way better than they were before so I don't need to panic if I play for more than 30 mins anymore :p

Cheers!

Great news, those temps are awesome.

What sort of fan/noise level was required to maintain them?

Associate
OP
what is the link to your card? plz

This is what I have:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-289-ms.html

Orch said:
Great news, those temps are awesome.

What sort of fan/noise level was required to maintain them?

The noise levels are way less than the MSI card at full song with standard cooling. I think WoW pushes the fans to the max speeds, which is noticeable, but not "offensive" in any way.

Bear in mind that my radiator has 3x Vardar fans, and the case has also has front and back Fractal case fans ... and the PSU, that's pretty old and can get a bit noisy :p

Cheers

Associate
Thanks mate. I'm putting 360 and 240 rads into mine so hopefully I can get the fans running nice and slow and still keep the temps down. Won't miss the noise from that standard cooler!

I'm trying so hard to wait until payday to get this block, but the credit card is twitching in my pocket :D

Associate
Clicking refresh on my DPD tracking every 5 minutes ftl :(

Looks like the loop won't get finished until next week :(

Y U NO UPDATE TRACKING 4 48 HOURS

Associate
OP
Hahah .. I totally did that too! Although mine came a day earlier than originally expected.

Still running well on my end. Desktop temperatures for both VRM and GPU sit in the mid-20s without changing.

The highest I've seen is still in Warcraft where the VRM gets into the 60's after an hour or so, and the GPU will also touch the 60's from time-to-time too, but it usually sits in the mid-50's.

Cheers!

Associate
Wow that's awesome. Never really paid much attention to VRM temps if I'm honest, but will be nice not hitting 87° after a few hours playing BF4 and the fans running a full chat next to my head!

Just need the bloody thing to arrive! Every now and then I go back and look at the pics you've posted just to get myself excited again :D

So sad :D

Associate
OP
I never paid attention to VRM either until I had to passively cool it when using the universal water-block. After that it suddenly became a 'thing' :p

Associate
It looks so good with the MSI backplate :cool:

e048dc138a70add89e560610a99e9396.jpg

ac8c49d16ee38ee418ae7a30239521a9.jpg

Ended up a very late night, I just had to get it all running once I started. Left unigine heaven 4 running for half an hour and GPU temp maxed out at 48°. That would have been in the 80's before hand so really pleased. That was fan's on a silent profile as well. Not that you could tell with the pump noise :rolleyes:

Hopefully give it some proper gaming duty later this week.

Also - that MSI TIM appliance. Yikes! :eek:

Associate
OP
Nice!! That looks cool with the backplate, I don't have one on mine!

Those are some good temps too, I should give Heaven a run too and see how it goes. And yes, the standard MSI thermal paste on the card was all over the shop!

Glad you got it all up and running, let us know how the proper game testing goes :)

Cheers, Ori

Associate
Yeh looked like they applied it with a shovel!

Yeh will report back with more findings once I've finished the loop properly, still a lot of adjustments to make first.

Now that temps aren't an issue, cross fire is looking more and more tempting :D

Back
Top Bottom