WBAC Values

Soldato
We had an extra week salary last month, I find out tomorrow what our mid-year adjustment will be. Neither were planned. Watch this space as to whether I follow suit :p

Haha you aren't wrong at all. You'd need to have balls of steal to have suggested we retain/hire more in October. Similar situation regarding not being able to recruit to fill. Some folk who took voluntary are now eligible to come back at higher salary than they left on..... crazy.

I'm going for about a 60% pay increase. My current place just can't match it and now they can't hire anyone because no one is applying with the current wages.

OcUK Staff
OP
Can just imagine this with a Ferrari @ £130k, the slightest imperfection will see them knocking thousands off no doubt.

Their headline prices are often reasonable at face value, because they need to be competitive enough to get you in the front door. The hope is once you're there, they can convince you to sell at a lower price once they've done their tyre-kicking. And like most dealers, once you get on site and they've done the inspection they will low-ball where they can to begin with, I've only been there once and the guy magically pulled an extra £150 out of his arse (on a vehicle valued just over £5k) when I said I wouldn't take their revised offer as it was lower than we'd already been offered p/x. This just goes to show that no matter what logic they use to explain the deductions, there is still a bit of fat in there as you'd expect that can be trimmed and still be profitable for them.

I'd never sell the Ferrari to such a company, but in honesty my car is pretty flawless. Was just shocked to see how much they would offer as normally WBAC are pretty useless on cars where options can make a big difference to the used resale value, for example 458/488's with bucket seats, carbon interior trim, LED steering wheel, forged alloys tend to command 15-20k premium over say one with comfort seats, cast wheels and standard interior etc in the used market.

I paid 152k for it over two years ago, added over 10,000 miles since and will keep using it but if in the near future there is an opportunity to sell it on a high and get out of it without losing a penny, maybe even making some money at same time I shall probably do so and then wait for market to settle, but that is the question will the market now ever settle for what is considered the great petrol cards, lots of examples of used car prices going mental on stuff like GT3's, 458's, S2000, R34 GTR's and more etc. They might just keep going up or the values might crash, the fact R34 GTR's seem to be potentially fetching 150-250k now is totally bonkers, I could have purchased one ten years ago for under 25k for a proper UK Vspec bayside blue.

Caporegime
And we have had to give flexi working in the construction industry to appease current employees and to try and encourage new ones. With covid people now appreciate more home time. We have also reduced the working week by 2 hours.

We even had a guy come for interview turn the job down despite been offered £7k more than he is on now and a £2k golden handshake cause "he would be having to drive 20 minutes each way and the extra money wasnt worth it for the 3 and half hours per week he would lose of his free time"

We also lost somebody who travelled 35 minutes to work to a job on slightly less money in the next street to where he lived. He said there was nothing we could offer money wise to offset that.

People are more and more just comfortable with what they earn and just want jobs 5 minutes away.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
I sold my car to WBAC towards the end of last year as I just wasn’t using it. Valued it online and put some keying damage on the online evaluator (got keyed a week before I was going to sell it :mad:) plus one of the alloys wasn’t a friend with a local kerb.

Took it down there in the pouring rain, actually got offered more than the online valuation as the guy felt sorry for me about the keying! Had to phone his manager but I was ready to accept a couple hundred less than the valuation as it was already a decent price.

I have nothing bad to say about it from my perspective. Very quick and easy.

Soldato
We have had to turn down three £1m swimming pool/spas this year after winning the tender because we cant recruit anybody to build them.

Perhaps you could try offering higher wages and pairing apprentices with experienced workers? There are 1.7 million unemployed out there.

Caporegime
Perhaps you could try offering higher wages and pairing apprentices with experienced workers? There are 1.7 million unemployed out there.

You dont think we are/have been doing that? 10% payrises this year plus flexi hours and 2 hours less basic week and we currently have 5 apprentices. Apprentices are fine but its up to 5 years before they show their worth and in the early days they take up considerable time of the experienced workers looking after them.

I suspect the 1.7m unemployed dont want jobs or are unemployable or certainly dont want construction jobs. Lovely job in the summer working outside all the time but grim in winter and it is undeniable very hard graft.

Its only about to get worse as with the major construction projects starting down south and the 100s of thousands EU construction workers who mainly worked down south have left, I know lots of skilled construction workers who are staying down south Monday to Friday for the big bucks. Even more will follow.

Caporegime
You need to offer a lot more then ;)

there is a limit though. You cant go around offering 60% payrises if your customers wont pay you more. We cant go back to the three big tenders we won and say give us 60% more as we are struggling to find staff. They will just put it back out to tender again.

Plus we have thrown big money at those who want more spare time but they arent interested in money anymore. they have been pulling in good wages for the last 20 years and covid showed them they dont need that much money to live and enjoy life anymore.

Soldato
Meanwhile other companies have already offered the big money and were sat wondering how on earth the competition could possibly be undercutting them on tenders :p

Caporegime
Meanwhile other companies have already offered the big money and were sat wondering how on earth the competition could possibly be undercutting them on tenders :p

Tenders were done last year. Nobody was offering bigger money then. We were one of the better payers in the area.

Soldato
Yeah if the used values keep moving the point where the Ferrari gets too a point where I get what I paid or make a profit I will probably move it on, sit on the cash and just wait for the market to drop again and either get another 458 or a GT3 RS maybe. Until then I will just keep driving it as adding the miles on it is not doing it any harm. :)

This is exactly what I’ve just done with the Z4, got as much as I paid for it 2 years and 20k miles ago. Prices are insane at the moment.

Be careful with WBAC though. Their tactic is give top end book value unseen, get the person in, then nock it down as much as possible over everything and anything, hoping that as you’ve made the journey you’ll sell. I e never heard of someone actually being offered what they offer. Maybe things have changed now prices have gone mad?

Soldato
And we have had to give flexi working in the construction industry to appease current employees and to try and encourage new ones. With covid people now appreciate more home time. We have also reduced the working week by 2 hours.

We even had a guy come for interview turn the job down despite been offered £7k more than he is on now and a £2k golden handshake cause "he would be having to drive 20 minutes each way and the extra money wasnt worth it for the 3 and half hours per week he would lose of his free time"

We also lost somebody who travelled 35 minutes to work to a job on slightly less money in the next street to where he lived. He said there was nothing we could offer money wise to offset that.

People are more and more just comfortable with what they earn and just want jobs 5 minutes away.

TBH the job I'm going for is more of a punt with nothing to lose. I'm comfortable where I am and don't need loads of extra money right now, but they offered an interview so might as well. If it was a longer commute I wouldn't have bothered. If the job looks like it will be stressful or a ****** working environment I'll turn it down.

But commuting is expensive. A job in walking distance is going to save maybe a couple of K a year just in petrol

Last edited:
Permabanned
This is exactly what I’ve just done with the Z4, got as much as I paid for it 2 years and 20k miles ago. Prices are insane at the moment.

Be careful with WBAC though. Their tactic is give top end book value unseen, get the person in, then nock it down as much as possible over everything and anything, hoping that as you’ve made the journey you’ll sell. I e never heard of someone actually being offered what they offer. Maybe things have changed now prices have gone mad?

exactly, if the the place to go is near to you then yes go for it but if you have to travel farther be prepared for them too try it on and bargain you down.

Man of Honour

Wow could understand it if people were commuting an hour plus each way. Mine is around 30 minutes depending on traffic and I don't even consider it like that.

There is a WBAC cabin in the car park I use when going into town - it is amusing the look on some people's faces after the rep has done walking around the car with them.

Soldato
there is a limit though. You cant go around offering 60% payrises if your customers wont pay you more. We cant go back to the three big tenders we won and say give us 60% more as we are struggling to find staff. They will just put it back out to tender again.

Plus we have thrown big money at those who want more spare time but they arent interested in money anymore. they have been pulling in good wages for the last 20 years and covid showed them they dont need that much money to live and enjoy life anymore.

Wow, sounds like a bit of a lose lose situation for you!

I understand why people are valuing general life and time out of work more. I've just been asked to stay abroad as there is another operation coming in 7-14 days that I'm 'needed' for.

Been away a month now and had plans in for a week back in the UK (flying back tomorrow) before another job in the UK, so I'd at least get some time at home. Plus I need to prep and sell 2 cars , that will now delay or I'll need to pay a garage to sort some of the jobs.

Associate
Bought an UP GTI 2 years ago for £12k from a main dealer. Did about 5k milies in two year and used the 2 free services.

WBAC offered £10900 via website, and £10300 due to some bodywork issues after valuing. Sold it for £10750 privately in the end.

Soldato
Whole market is up so hard to tell. I wouldn’t bother unless there’s something else you can use the money for, there’s so much money sloshing around atm with no sign of it slowing that this bubble could last a long time.

Yaris is still just about worth overs and 4C gone up probably 20% since I bought it. But so has everything else, even the previously cursed McLarens.

Back
Top Bottom