WBAC Values

Soldato
Either a runaround and wait for things to settle down, having locked in a great price for me car, or go for something new that's available immediately i.e 4-6 weeks). Plenty of such cars if you look around. Just trying to make up my mind if this is the time to go EV. I don't *REQUIRE* a car for work, although realistically I can't go too long without a car just on a practical level.

Looked at an EV and if I got with that dealer, will come to an arrangement that he gives me a run-a-round on a fixed basis until the new car arrives.

Yea, that’s not going to happen. A dealer ain’t going to give you a used car, when there’s huge profit to be made, whilst your EV is being built. There’ll be more profit in the used car.

Caporegime
Perhaps you should not stop at words that allow you to make your desired commentary, but actually read what was written ("require for work....but I can't go too long without a car on a practical level"), which is most people's understanding means i do require a car.

Anyhow, life is full of spending on things that are not required. No one is REQUIRED to buy a new car, when a £2K 15 year old car will transport you from A-B. Certainly no one is required to spend £50K on a new car, you can buy a new dacia for <£10K. So maybe that is the cutoff point for your "madness".

Why buy a £400K house if you can buy one for £150K. There's no requirement to buy new clothes when there are loads in thrift shops.

This is a thread about peoples experience with WBAC and prices being achieved for selling a car for cash, not about how people spend their disposable income
Just interesting people value the profit over the actual item. Eg selling a 50k car to run around in a banger makes we wonder if they really need /want/can afford the car. Nothing personal, just interesting human behaviour as one would expect any car to normally lose money

Soldato
I wonder how many of them have considered selling their house and just living in a tent for a bit because it's gone up in value?
Just interesting people value the profit over the actual item. Eg selling a 50k car to run around in a banger makes we wonder if they really need /want/can afford the car. Nothing personal, just interesting human behaviour as one would expect any car to normally lose money

Lol you guys. A 50k car is likely in the 'extremely nice to have' category. Being able to pot about in a 50k car for the grand sum of £0 isn't to be sniffed at.

Fox, you bring up cost of the car in every thread but not the cost of ownership. If the cost of ownership is next to nill then folk can afford to have a punt for a while then go back to something more sensible.

I've never owned a car anything close to E43 performance or poor consumption so it was a bit of an expensive experiment for me. Cue stage left: coronavirus and solid residuals, and I'm a happy bunny that my experiment cost me zero. Turns out I love the thing but the thought isn't as obtuse as you are both making out.

Associate

That's like saying someone moving into a caravan for a few months because the resale house market is brilliant and they've locked in a price on a new house that isn't quite ready, suggests they really don't need/want/afford the new house...how silly.

And the fact that a car normally is a big depreciating asset is exactly why I am taking advantage of a situation were instead of it depreciating by 40-50% after 3 years, which is my normal change cycle, I've sold it a year early for a 4% depreciation, and jumping into something handy whilst waiting for a new car. Might go for a polestar 2, variants of which can be had next month.

Kia EV6 dealer is keen for the order, and willing to give me something for a while from his used car forecourt at a minimal overall cost, for a march delivery of an EV6.

Cost to change after 2 years will be about £2-3K, cost to change in normal times after 3 years would be £15K. Get a new car a year early and save >£10K. its the people that have that option and don't do it that confuse me.

I haven't checked but I'm wondering if Fox's other 158,000+ posts over 19 years (an average of 22 posts a day, every day, mon-sun for 19 years !), are of a similar vein.

Last edited:
Associate
Ah sorry. Forgot I’m allowed to have an opinion

So it is your opinion that people who temporarily move into a caravan because the inconvenience is far outweighed by the financial benefit, do not need/want/afford a house....got it.

Your opinion isn't based on any facts or finances.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion no matter how invalid, but forums work best when things are kept on topic.

Associate

It is just a byproduct of the odd situation we currently find the car market in. Why lose money if you can break even or make money, especially if you are in a position to.

Lets be honest cars can be seen as bit of a luxury item, otherwise we would all be running round in old volvo estates or MK1 Focus's as we don't really need much more than they offer!

Caporegime
So it is your opinion that people who temporarily move into a caravan because the inconvenience is far outweighed by the financial benefit, do not need/want/afford a house....got it.

Your opinion isn't based on any facts or finances.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion no matter how invalid, but forums work best when things are kept on topic.
Yes about cars. Not caravans which wasn’t me introducing to the discussion

Associate
I sold my MX-5 to Cazoo last week for £19,050. £50 more than what I paid for it in Jan 2019! It was a painless experience (aside from saying goodbye to my beloved MX-5) and they were very straightforward and easy to deal with.

I wonder when we will see used prices get back to normal? Surely people buying used cars now will eventually see depreciation on par with those buying new? I’m guessing in the current market you may as well just buy new (if you can wait) as you will potentially loose an equivalent sum in depreciation on a used car as the market recovers? Or would these used cars that sell at higher prices hold their value for a longer period?

Last edited:
Soldato
With inflation rising and supply shortages probably lasting towards 2013, I doubt we’ll see a meaningful burst in the used car market. Higher for longer I reckon, at least that’s what I’m telling myself.

With this situation for new/used cars being the ultimate win/win for car dealers, why would they ever stop telling us that there are supply issues…

Soldato
Given the shortage of new cars goes well beyond a ‘blip’ now, even if new car supply for back to normal tomorrow, you’ve got 18+ months where supply was low and a back log of buyers on top of all the people who would have normally bought cars.

Also as you’ve had 18 months of low supply that is going to be persistent through the used market for over a decade depending on what era you are looking at, even if it’s fixed tomorrow.

If it was fixed tomorrow I’d say it would take 3 years for depreciation curves to return to ‘normal’ but higher average purchase prices will nudge new cars higher. I say 3 years because that’s the usual new car ownership period in lease/PCP and people tend to own cars in cycles. The longer this goes on, the longer it will take for depreciation curves to return, if they ever do. The transition to EV is also going to throw a spanner into the works. The prices of EVs is likely to remain higher.

Last edited:
Associate
Either a runaround and wait for things to settle down, having locked in a great price for me car, or go for something new that's available immediately i.e 4-6 weeks). Plenty of such cars if you look around. Just trying to make up my mind if this is the time to go EV. I don't *REQUIRE* a car for work, although realistically I can't go too long without a car just on a practical level.

Looked at an EV and if I got with that dealer, will come to an arrangement that he gives me a run-a-round on a fixed basis until the new car arrives.

Had a chat with my dealer yesterday, ordered EV6, agreed to sign-over a runaround on a £200 a month basis until the EV6 arrives in March. job done.

Soldato
until the EV6 arrives in March. job done.
what guarantee/penalties do they give on delivery schedule - was reading german ev6 thread yesterday, not sure what annual timeline is for manufacturers for eu green quota's

[serial self-build relations currently caravanning whilst they wait for prolonged planning permission to be granted - covid....]

Back
Top Bottom