WBAC Values

Caporegime
Had emails from WBAC today with your car has increased in price.

Do values normally start to go up so fast always thought it was March onwards when the seasonal trend seem to start reversing, seems to be happening sooner this year, could mean used prices could have a very strong uplift this year......

Normally its much later in the year, never January.

Most experts think demand and prices will be strong for most of 2022 but further price increases wont be anything like 2021 (27% on average!) and I have seen more than one forecasting prices will start and drop around October 2022.

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/pub...tinue-to-soar-seven-experts-reveal-all/251234

Last edited:

Soldato
had a quick nosey at Cazoo and their sales site seems very forthcoming plenty of info, highlights any minor damage on the car,

i can see them grabbing huge market share very quickly tbh. even if their the usual car dealer shysters they give off an aura of honesty

Caporegime
Given that many new orders have been pushed back to the middle of the year, June, July or sometimes later I can’t see used prices getting any softer for 6 months at least. What cars are being delivered are missing three or four major options in some situations.

Caporegime
I don't see there being a massive drop in prices back to pre-pandemic/semiconductor crisis levels because dealers and traders hold all the stock and get to decide the pricing.

Soldato
I don't see there being a massive drop in prices back to pre-pandemic/semiconductor crisis levels because dealers and traders hold all the stock and get to decide the pricing.
Depends if manufacturers decide to incentivise sales or margins once capacity is back where it used to be.

If dealers have to go chase crazy bonus sales targets (like pre-pandemic) then new car discounts will come back and used prices will drop again. If the manufacturers decide higher margin lower volume is the way to go then I can see the market not having a major correction.

Soldato
Or manufacturers decide they want a higher margin and take a bigger slice of the RRP leaving less room for dealers to offer discounts.

The transition to BEV isn’t going to be cheap with all the legacy investment into ICE which basically goes into the bin. VW are going down the route of running two platforms side by side, others are trying to do hybrid platforms which will eventually be ditched for full BEV ones. Either way, it’s expensive compared to carrying on as they were.

Caporegime
Depends if manufacturers decide to incentivise sales or margins once capacity is back where it used to be.

If dealers have to go chase crazy bonus sales targets (like pre-pandemic) then new car discounts will come back and used prices will drop again. If the manufacturers decide higher margin lower volume is the way to go then I can see the market not having a major correction.
Some manufacturers like MB and BMW have publicly stated they’ll be looking to keep margins high, even if that affects sales numbers this year. Of course that then depends on selling 10 cars at £10k profit each over 100 cars at £2k profit each.

OG

OG

Associate
had a quick nosey at Cazoo and their sales site seems very forthcoming plenty of info, highlights any minor damage on the car,

i can see them grabbing huge market share very quickly tbh. even if their the usual car dealer shysters they give off an aura of honesty

Had our 65 Ford Fiesta collected by Cazoo this morning. They were offering another grand over what WBAC were offering, rated the car as 'good' condition (had a few deep paint scratches, scuffed alloys) and had no quibbles from the bloke that came and collected it. Had the money in my Monzo account within 30 seconds as well. Very impressed with the service really.

Caporegime
Some manufacturers like MB and BMW have publicly stated they’ll be looking to keep margins high, even if that affects sales numbers this year. Of course that then depends on selling 10 cars at £10k profit each over 100 cars at £2k profit each.

Even more than that. It wasnt that they would keep prices high even if it affects sales, it was a deliberate decision to move over to a higher margin, smaller volume model.

I am still quote shocked my X5 hybrid costs £80k before discount. I am sure they are making a very healthy margin in that.

Soldato
Even more than that. It wasnt that they would keep prices high even if it affects sales, it was a deliberate decision to move over to a higher margin, smaller volume model.

I am still quote shocked my X5 hybrid costs £80k before discount. I am sure they are making a very healthy margin in that.
Would be interesting to see if the manufacturer-franchise contract has actually been rewritten though.

They used to cut prices because they would get huge volume bonuses, now they have no chance of getting the top end bonuses so they aren't cutting the margins. If they can sell volume then unless the bonus structure in the contracts has actually changed then they will go back to the old ways

Soldato
I think it will be more interesting what happens if their competitors don't make the same choice and undercut them. Remember China is coming to a new car market near you soon. They are already here is some capacity in the premium space via Volvo and Polestar and in the budget space via MG.

Soldato
Wife is pregnant - needed a car with more than 2 seats so had to sell the Jag F type - got 3k more from WBAC than the various dealers were offering!

Nearly cried dropping it off - felt like the end of an era of petrol sports cars, as it will be all electric by the time I return to a 2 seater!

Decided to move to an alfa romeo guilia and then break down all the time (after being ribbed for being a caddish jag owner, and a bmw owner who clearly cant indicate....)

First time using WBAC - was shocked at how easy it was, they bought the jag in the dark, at 6pm, with no light other than a camera phone, declared it "perfect knick" (2 kerbed alloys, a discoloured one, and 5 paint chips on the front from stones etc as it was a daily driver)

Would defo deal with WBAC again

For what its worth - carzoo offered 7k less

Caporegime
Wife is pregnant - needed a car with more than 2 seats so had to sell the Jag F type - got 3k more from WBAC than the various dealers were offering!

Nearly cried dropping it off - felt like the end of an era of petrol sports cars, as it will be all electric by the time I return to a 2 seater!

Decided to move to an alfa romeo guilia and then break down all the time (after being ribbed for being a caddish jag owner, and a bmw owner who clearly cant indicate....)

First time using WBAC - was shocked at how easy it was, they bought the jag in the dark, at 6pm, with no light other than a camera phone, declared it "perfect knick" (2 kerbed alloys, a discoloured one, and 5 paint chips on the front from stones etc as it was a daily driver)

Would defo deal with WBAC again

For what its worth - carzoo offered 7k less
Pics of the Giulia? I'm considering one.

Caporegime
Will provide pics on Friday evening when I pick it up from the dealer providing it meets my expectations. I went for the 280 bhp veloce edition, which is as close as I could get to the four cheese pizza edition I could afford
That's what I've been looking at too. The 198BHP one just seems like a drop from the 245HP I currently have.

Associate
WBAC lowballed my sister when she tried to sell her Mini. Think they offered £12k but then knocked off loads for damaged rear bumper that they had already declared. Think they offered £7k which they declined, on leaving a car pulled in front of them and turned out to be a local dealer who offered them £11.5k there and then. Turns out he sits there all day and stops people who leave without selling, he has brought 20 other cars like this in 3 weeks he said.

Associate
WBAC lowballed my sister when she tried to sell her Mini. Think they offered £12k but then knocked off loads for damaged rear bumper that they had already declared. Think they offered £7k which they declined, on leaving a car pulled in front of them and turned out to be a local dealer who offered them £11.5k there and then. Turns out he sits there all day and stops people who leave without selling, he has brought 20 other cars like this in 3 weeks he said.

That's a brilliant idea tbh. Good on him.

Caporegime
Was there anything in particular you wanted an opinion on or photos of? Had it a few days now and got some initial impressions
Legroom in the back, does the B pillar really get in the way getting in and out? Comfort and usability of the screen and interface? Does it make a nice noise? Thanks. Oh and photos!

Back
Top Bottom