WD black problems

Associate
A few years ago I bought 2 1TB wd black drives. Recently I've heard some funky noises coming from the drive areas, as well as a delay in detecting a drive in BIOS, and increased windows loading times. I downloaded the WD lifeguard diagnostics to test the drives and one of them is failing both the fast and extended tests, citing irreparable bad sectors (I allowed an atempted repair but it failed). This is ok, I've backed up data and will RMA the drive.

What concerns me is the other disk that passes both the quick and extended tests. When the first drive failed, I had a look at the SMART data, and saw the following

Reallocated Sector Count: ID=5, Value=199, Threshold=140, Worst=199, Warranty=1

Makes sense, drive has a lot of bad sectors. I had a look at the drive that passed the tests though, and it has the following:

Reallocated Sector Count: ID=5, Value=200, Threshold=140, Worst=200, Warranty=1

This surprised me, it looks like the drive that passed the test has had practically as many bad sectors as the obviously duff drive. By running the quick tests, it seems like it is this 'good' drive that is making the dodgy noises, not the one reporting fault.
Should I be trying to RMA this drive as well, even though it passed the tests? Can you recommend any other programs I could use to try and test this drive?

Cheers in advance.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure 200 is the starting point and it goes down, so when worst hits 140 you have a problem.

Try HD tune Error Scan, (not quick scan), It will take a long time on a 1TB drive. The Benchmark test is also good if you get lots of speed dips that a sign it's not looking good.

Associate
OP
Ran the long test on both of them, the 'good' disk is all good, I'm going to put the dodgy noise to paranoia, but check it every now and then just in case.

'bad' disk is bad, it won't populate the 'info' tab information properly, and found 4 bad blocks, so will get it RMA'd this week.

Back
Top Bottom