WD SSD SN770/SN580 Windows 24H2 Problems

Associate
For anyone with a Western Digital SN580 or SN770 SSD there is currently an issue with Windows 24H2 and HMB. HMB is used in drives that don't have a DRAM cache.

This issue causes the drive to have read/write errors in windows and can potentially corrupt your windows install if it is your boot drive.

See this thread for more information:

Registry Fix:

I experienced the error on my SN770 (luckily it was a secondary game drive) and it corrupted data on my SSD.

This is good info. I'm thinking of a rebuild onto a WD SN550. the 550 isnt mentioned in the link, but i guess I might see issue too. i assume the registry fix solves the problem Ok?

Thanks

Registry fix does work, but you need to be using the stock Microsoft NVME drivers.
Ive just been through the whole thread now (should have done that first, apologies) no mention of the SN550, but i understand (sort of) what the fix is doing. I't will be a week or so before i do the update anyway so i'll keep an eye on things.

Thanks

This issue causes the drive to have read/write errors in windows and can potentially corrupt your windows install if it is your boot drive.
:o Wow. Not like WD is a major manufacturer or anything, I'm sure Microsoft have never heard of them.

They should just extend support for Windows 10 and accept that Windows 11 is a half ***** attempt at making something better.

Clearly not even testing updates now and breaking things. The whole GUI even puts me off.

I have a Western Digital SN580.

That is a good drive providing you use it with a competent OS.

Clearly Windows 11 is not and half baked given the above.

Updated my SN770 2TB with the new firmware. HMB now showing at 64MB so problem is fixed.

Replaced it this morning with a Samsung 990 Pro from OcUK though.

Back
Top Bottom